BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
The bolded part really doesn't make sense.

You don't HAVE to shift below those RPM's at all if you don't want to on this car. I don't know what you're trying to say. Of course during break in they recommend you don't rev the engine too high, but once that's over you can let it rip.

I see your point but you have to be realistic. If you're driving on city streets in 30 MPH zones and/or in traffic then you just can't ALWAYS shift past 4,500. My point here is that you need to get over 2,500 to start to feel the power and the E46 seems like it has more low-end power (ie. up to 2,500), which might be more fun/suitable for those types of driving conditions. That being said, there is absolutely NO doubt that the E93 is in a WHOLE different category (ie. much better power!) once you're beyond 2,500. It's like day and night after that point... The problem is that there are some driving conditions that simply don't allow you to get to the 2,500 range where the E93 engine really wants you to be...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks to everyone for their additional thoughts. Here are some answers to some questions - I will absolutely follow up AFTER the break-in period to make sure that I'm give a fair comparison.

- I had a stock suspension so I can't give you a comparison with coilovers - sorry.
- Here's some good market data for everyone: I actually used to work at Toyota HQ and GM HQ so I have access to the national Manheim auction sales. My car was worth about $24k based on recent West auction sales. CarMax offered me $22k and I got $24k from my BMW dealer so I sold it the dealer. They did NOT roll any profit into my lease - I paid the base BMWFS MF and I bought my new car for $1k over invoice. My car had 500 miles left on the countdown to Inspection II, so I suspect CarMax docked me $1.5-$2k for that. The only work that was needed on my car was 1 wheel minor scrape repair. Otherwise my car was honestly ridiculously mint. It had been garaged the entire time - even when I went to lunch - and my Michelin Super Sports were probably still 50-75% ok. My car stickered for over $67k - EVERY option available, including the factory installed alarm. And BTW - I am leaving the dealer's name anonymous here because I have a very contact there who did me a favor on the trade-in and purchase price so if you ask I just can't tell :-)
- Good point about going 80 MPH with the understeer and suspension. I don't miss my E46's suspension at all - it was just too harsh for DD. But I do wish I had better road feel on the E93!

Feel free to ask other questions - I am glad to help. But I will be back to report on things after the BI period for sure...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
TysonRa
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

You think after 5k rpm nothing more will happen!? Wait until the break-in period! You will be surprised!

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

You need more Interstate time...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

My car has around 4000 miles and it seems to drive better every time I drive it. The engine will get stronger, not to mention the additional 3400 RPM Also, your tires and brakes will be fully broken in. I wrote a similar review when I switched from my modded (mostly chassis, but some power upgrades) 335i. At this point, it is not even close. Plus, when you get used to the steering feel (seems better than when I bought it), that differance will fade and everything else will shine!
      09-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Although I cannot objectively verify it - I believe the engine definitely seems stronger as you add miles - I remember at 20k miles thinking to myself "wow - this engine seems even better now than at 5k". Now I'm at about 53k - took it for drive this morning and had a few full throttle blasts with redline shifts 1-2 and 2-3 - I swear the engine seems even marginally better now than before (although I just had fuel induction service done and outside air temp was only 45-50 - so these surely played at least some role). Either way - over 50k miles an my S65 still pulls like crazy (bone stock)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #29
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
My car has around 4000 miles and it seems to drive better every time I drive it. The engine will get stronger, not to mention the additional 3400 RPM Also, your tires and brakes will be fully broken in. I wrote a similar review when I switched from my modded (mostly chassis, but some power upgrades) 335i. At this point, it is not even close. Plus, when you get used to the steering feel (seems better than when I bought it), that differance will fade and everything else will shine!

Thanks very much - it's great to know someone wrote a similar review. I'm seriously considering doing an axle back exhaust mod so I can hear a little more noise on the low-end to feel a little more involvement. But, at this point, it's clear that I need to give it some time, as that seems like unanimous advice for the board members.

Hopefully I will see some improvement on the low end with time + a potential minor exhaust mod. I'm considering the M Performance Exhaust and possibly the Eisenmann Sport Exhaust. A board member was nice enough to let me hear the MPE in-person so I'm hoping to check it out later this week.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #30
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
Thanks very much - it's great to know someone wrote a similar review. I'm seriously considering doing an axle back exhaust mod so I can hear a little more noise on the low-end to feel a little more involvement. But, at this point, it's clear that I need to give it some time, as that seems like unanimous advice for the board members.

Hopefully I will see some improvement on the low end with time + a potential minor exhaust mod. I'm considering the M Performance Exhaust and possibly the Eisenmann Sport Exhaust. A board member was nice enough to let me hear the MPE in-person so I'm hoping to check it out later this week.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Your exhaust will break in, as well. I had an annoying drone for the first few hundred miles that eventually went away. An axle back is not a bad idea though, wouldn't mind it being a little louder under throttle. Also, the sound is not that progressive up to red line, after 5500 RPM it doesn't change much with stock exhaust.
      09-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #31
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Have you heard the Eisenmann Race in person? Beautiful sounding exhaust without being too obnoxious. If you'd like you can hear it on my car some time.

Quote:

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #32
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
Have you heard the Eisenmann Race in person? Beautiful sounding exhaust without being too obnoxious. If you'd like you can hear it on my car some time.

Definitely want to hear it in-person - thanks very much for your offer! PM Sent.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #33
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
In all fairness, I am still in the break-in period but I don't think the experience is going to change that much...
If you think the engine comes alive around 2.5K RPM, just wait until you can go way past 5K and can drive in a way that you never dip below 4K. You're in for a treat....

Quote:
Need to drive it in Sport or Sport Plus for a really engaging drive - When I first test drove the E93 I feel like it wasn't very engaging at all. The great thing about using Sport Plus is that the throttle is so sensitive that you're up into the 2500+ range in no time, which is where this car really likes to be. Because it's not that engaging in Normal power mode, I always drive it in Sport Plus (or at least mostly) and that really changes the character of the car. Some have also said they think it's a little louder in Sport Plus and I agree...
Sport Plus does absolutely nothing about the noise of the car. The actual throttle is open wider for a given amount of pedal input on Sport Plus, which can make the engine louder, but the maximum loudness doesn't change. Anything besides that would be entirely in your head. Maybe your friend was thinking of the F10 M5, where Sport Plus increases the volume of the engine noises played through the stereo?

To your larger point though, I find Sport Plus almost undrivable. Sport is my setting of choice for casual driving because you're right that the car feels more engaging even when you're driving lazily that way, and that's nice in casual settings. But as I've gotten better on the track I've realized that Normal is the proper setting for real driving, and I now use that both on-track and for fun driving on back roads. A linear, more precise throttle is far more important to being smooth (and thus fast) than a punchy throttle. It took me a year to figure that out, but now that I have, Sport doesn't feel right to me when I'm really out to drive, and Normal feels sublime. There's something magic about the engine revs creeping just a bit higher as you move your foot just a bit deeper through a turn, which is what makes Normal actually feel MORE engaging to me in that context, whereas Sport just doesn't allow that level of refined control. I'm guessing you haven't been to the track before?

I'd recommend trying Normal on spirited driving consistently for a while. Just train yourself to have a slightly heavier foot in those contexts and you should eradicate the sluggishness you see but retain precision control. Of course being past the break-in when you'll be able to drive without ever being anywhere near those low RPMs would make Normal's sluggishness a non-issue too....

Quote:
Brakes. Speaking of heavier and bigger, the braking distance seems to be noticeably longer in the E93, I'm guessing due to the increased weight. I really liked the brakes on the E46 - they were very impressive. Hopefully my E93 brakes will "break-in" and improve over time.
Your observed difference in stopping distance has absolutely nothing to do with brakes. The limiting factor on stopping distance until your brakes are completely overheated is TIRES! If they lose grip and thus the wheels lock up, then ABS has to kick in, which reduces maximum braking force since the brakes keep having to disengage and re-engage. If you want to reduce stopping distance, you need larger and/or stickier tires that can maintain grip under heavier loads, which prevents wheel lockup and thus prevents ABS intervention, instead allowing your pads to continue gripping the rotors. Pilot Super Sports should be a solid improvement over your current Contis.

That said, yes the brakes can be a weak point of the car, but because they overheat relatively easily on the track. That's solved with upgrading the stock pads, and you'll also want to have upgraded the fluid by then -- but that also has nothing to do with what you've observed.

Congrats on your purchase though, enjoy the car!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-17-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #34
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
To your larger point though, I find Sport Plus almost undrivable. Sport is my setting of choice for casual driving because you're right that the car feels more engaging even when you're driving lazily that way, and that's nice in casual settings. But as I've gotten better on the track I've realized that Normal is the proper setting for real driving, and I now use that both on-track and for fun driving on back roads. A linear, more precise throttle is far more important to being smooth (and thus fast) than a punchy throttle. It took me a year to figure that out, but now that I have, Sport doesn't feel right to me when I'm really out to drive, and Normal feels sublime. There's something magic about the engine revs creeping just a bit higher as you move your foot just a bit deeper through a turn, which is what makes Normal actually feel MORE engaging to me in that context, whereas Sport just doesn't allow that level of refined control. I'm guessing you haven't been to the track before?

I'd recommend trying Normal on spirited driving consistently for a while. Just train yourself to have a slightly heavier foot in those contexts and you should eradicate the sluggishness you see but retain precision control. Of course being past the break-in when you'll be able to drive without ever being anywhere near those low RPMs would make Normal's sluggishness a non-issue too....

Thanks for all of the info. Your point about driving in Normal is good advice, as I agree it's clearly the most controlled/linear. So far I have tried backing off of Sport Plus in favor of sport, with some driving in Normal. At this point I'm going to have to ween off of both Sport Plus and Sport, as I have gotten accustomed to them - like a drug addict! But I am going to give it a shot, as I can see it paying off in the long run as you suggested.

For now I'm scheduled to hear the MPE on Thurs, as that might be exactly what I need. I'm excited by the prospects, as I pretty much like most other things about the car. Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #35
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok - so I'm still in my break-in period (at around 700 miles now) and I'm going to wait until after my 1,200 mile service before writing a complete follow up of my impressions of my E93. That being said, I came across this video in another thread and I thought it communicates my feeling about the E93 thus far, in that newer technology doesn't necessarily make for a more fun drive. I will post a further update in 1-2 months (when I finish my oil service). In the meantime, enjoy this great video with Chris Harris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8h_IcLn4JSg
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #36
Phantom_9192
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Sold my second E46 and bought a 2010 E92 a couple of months ago. Good comparison, but man oh man... You seriously have not seen anything yet with the E65. Wow.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts after break-in. Life begins north of 5k with this motor, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #37
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE - Impressions 4 Months Later...

(See below for my original post if you want to compare it to this update)

So I have had my '13 E93 M3 for over 4 months now and, while I only have around 1,300 miles on the odometer, I think it's an appropriate time to post a follow up of my impressions, as I have had the car long enough now to give everyone an update and I know people have been waiting for my further impressions. I actually drive the car every day but I typically only go a total of 5-10 miles. I hope everything below is helpful for those considering going from E46 M3 Convertible to an E93 M3 Convertible. For what it's worth, I have driven MANY cars over the years and I actually worked at Toyota Headquarters and GM Headquarters, so I have a lot of experience when it comes to driving, feel, etc.

UPDATE - Overall Impressions
- 4 months later and I just had my 1,200 mile service done 3 weeks ago. I can now say that I really like the car but ONLY for 1 reason: I performed an OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perforated pipes) 2 weeks ago and that literally changed my opinion from not liking the driving experience that much to really liking the driving experience and enjoying every minute with it, which is really how it should be. The additional exhaust noise up to 3k RPMs is EXACTLY what I needed to feel connected to the car. I can now hear all of the rev notes of the engine and really feel like I am driving it, whereas before it was so quiet that it almost felt like I was driving a refined Lexus, at least compared to the E46 M3 Convertible with the soft top. I am no longer complaining about the car not being "raw" enough, as the exhaust mod cleared that up. The OEM Exhaust Mod is not for everyone, especially for those considering a convertible, so be sure to consider the Pros/Cons before going ahead with the mod. Here's my thread that discusses the Pros/Cons of the OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perforated) for convertibles: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783957.
- While I now really like the car, thanks solely to the OEM Exhaust Mod, there are still some aspects that are clearly better in the E46 M3 Convertible, including the steering feel and general "feeling connected to the road + feedback". This car just isn't as precise as my old E46 M3 Convertible. It's not bad but it's just not great. Many others seem to be ok with the steering on this car so perhaps it's just me or perhaps it's because the steering on the E46 M3 Convertible was just so good!
- It's really nice to have an entire step up terms of interior refinement and quality compared to the E46 M3 Convertible. The iDrive is very easy to use and the materials are definitely a good notch up. You notice it as soon as you sit in the E93 and it's a nice plus.
- OVERALL - I would say that with the new OEM Exhaust Mod I now like the car as much as the E46 M3 Convertible. Do I think it's the better total driver's package of the 2? No, as it isn't as precise, as light, or as connected as the E46 M3 Convertible. But it's MUCH faster, the exhaust note is now exotic and fantastic, and it's a great driving experience. If you want the old school M car that is lighter, more raw, more connected, and less refined, then clearly the E46 M3 Convertible is the winner. If you want the faster, more refined, and still fun to drive car, then the E93 M3 Convertible is the winner BUT ONLY if you modify the exhaust. If the E93 was lighter and had better tuned steering then I would probably like it a lot more and I would be happier with it. If I didn't modify my exhaust then I suspect the E46 M3 Convertible would be my hands down winner... It's worth noting that all of my E46 M3 Convertible (3 total - 1 manual and 2 SMG) were stock and I have never modified a car before.

Pros of E93 M3 Convertible (with OEM Exhaust Mod) vs E46 M3 Convertible (stock)
- Much faster (very big difference - feels like a good second quicker 0-60)
- Car is as fun to drive with OEM Exhaust Mod as E46 M3 Convertible and has a MUCH better exhaust tone/note - It sounds exotic!
- Adjustable suspension makes longer commutes easier than the harsh E46 M3 Convertible suspension
- DCT is a better experience once you get used to it (and I used to love SMG)
- Interior is a big step up in terms of refinement
- iDrive is easy to use and has a great screen in the sun
- Fantastic downshift "blips" when in S4 or S5 (if you're in the right mood!)
- Premium stereo is a notch up compared to the Harmon Kardon system in the E46 M3 Convertible
- Keyless Entry (doors/trunk) is a nice feature that I never knew I would like until I had it
- Reduced noise on highway thanks to hard top is nice on longer trips

Cons of E93 M3 Convertible (with OEM Exhaust Mod) vs E46 M3 Convertible (stock)
- DCT is harder to engage in first (requires a little pedal modulation vs SMG's more fluid launch)
- Steering isn't as precise and the additional weight can be felt on hard turns
- Engine doesn't rev as freely as my E46 M3 Convertible - it's more restricted. And it's a LOT more restricted than a non-broken in M6 coupe (2013) that I recently tried.
- Doesn't feel as connected to the road
- Additional weight definitely has a negative impact on the overall driving experience compared to the E46 M3 Convertible
- Turning radius is much worse (minor point but is annoying at times)
- Trunk space/design is a joke with roof down and access to items in trunk with latch down is horrible
- The modified exhaust is definitely a little loud with the roof down, which is why I'm not sure the mod is suitable for everyone. See my thread for more details/thoughts: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783957
- My previous M3s had Michelins - I now have Continentals. The Contis suck! I realize this is the luck of the draw but it's still worth noting...

All I cay say is boy I am glad the OEM Exhaust Mod exists, as it turned my upgrade to the E93 from disappointing to very happy. It cost me $350 (which I understand is on the high side) and I can't imagine spending better money on this car. I fully understand why everyone is so happy with the mod. You absolutely need to experience it in-person if you're considering it.

As you can see, the E93 is not a clear winner so it's important to consider all aspects before making the leap. I think an extended test drive is a good bet, as the car hasn't grown on me over time, with the exception of the OEM Exhaust Mod. I'm glad I like the car a LOT more than before the OEM Exhaust Mod and I hope this update is helpful. Feel free to ask questions, as I'm glad to help.

Happy Holidays,
Jeremy

Quote:
I just picked up a new 2013 E93 M3 Convertible over the weekend and I was VERY sad to see my E46 M3 Convertible go. My car had only 34k miles and was mint, fully loaded, and my favorite color combo: Silver Gray / Black. I didn't want to keep my old car any longer, as my Inspection II was due in 500 miles and I was worried about some other potentially expensive maintenance.

Letting go of my E46 M3 Convertible was literally a gut wrenching experience for me, as I loved the car. I was lucky enough to own 3 of them (01, 04, 06), the last two of which had SMG. So I know that model extremely well and it was clearly the end of an era for me. I am writing this quick review to help others who might be in the same boat, as I was worried that I was going to lose the "raw" feeling of my E46 to a more refined E93, which would essentially equate to a less fun day-to-day driving experience as a DD.

With that in mind, here are my Pros / Cons of my new E93 after only a few days of owning it. In all fairness, I am still in the break-in period but I don't think the experience is going to change that much (except for when I floor the car), as I have still been driving pretty aggressively, with most of my shifts at around 3.5-4.5k RPMs.

Anyhow, if you're thinking about moving from an E46 M3 Convertible to an E93 M3 Convertible and you like the "rawness" of the E46 then I'm hoping this Pros / Cons list will help:

Pros of E93 M3 vs E46 M3 Convertible
- Faster. The E93 is clearly faster, both statistically and thanks to its torque. It also seems to rev through the RPMs more quickly, which also seems to help. The acceleration feel reminds me very much of a 996 Turbo, in that it needs to get up to 2500 RPMs to really kick in but is VERY fast after that.
- Engine noise is fantastic, ESPECIALLY with the roof down. The V8 is an amazing sound, even more so when the roof is down. I find myself taking the car for a spin every night because of the engine noise, which is a big plus compared to the E46.
- Engine is truly special. Hard to put this in words but you would understand if you spent 60+ mins driving an E93. This engine feels special and exotic compared to the E46. I wasn't expecting that and it's certainly a great thing.
- More fun to drive with the roof down. This is one of the biggest positive surprises for me. I find this car is more fun to drive with the roof down, due to the amazing engine noise + exhaust compared to the E46.
- More refined suspension. This is definitely a Pro in certain situations, as the clear is clearly smoother than the E46.
- Nicer Interior - The interior is a clear and huge step up compared to the E46 in terms of refinement. The iDrive, while complicated, is also clearly better than the E46 Nav.
- Configurable - Being able to set the steering, suspension, Sport, etc is really great (I have EDC).
- Nav/Radio/Tech - All big improvements (ie. newer tech) than the E46, although the iDrive is a little complicated (overly complicated if you only do a few things on a regular basis, like listen to radio + Sat radio). Also, the Enhanced Premium Sound is better than the Harman Kardon in the E46 (although not by a huge margin but still noticeable).
- Smoother transmission - DCT is obviously much smoother than SMG, which can be nice in certain circumstances (ie. traffic).
- Hardtop look and noise reduction - These are both pluses and are clear improvements over the E46.

Cons of E93 M3 vs E46 M3 Convertible
- Loss of road feel and being connected to the car - This is my biggest complaint and is clearly a product of evolution over time. The E93 is more refined, which means that you don't feel the same level of road feel in the steering wheels and you're not quite as connected to the engine as your are in the E46 (at least in less spirited driving). The best comparison I can come up with is the difference between driving a 911 Carrera and a 911 GT3. If you've driven both then you'll probably understand. This is the feature I miss most from my E46 and unfortunately it's the end of an era. Of course, people who owned the E36 have the same complaint about the E46, so this is not surprising.
- Need to drive it in Sport or Sport Plus for a really engaging drive - When I first test drove the E93 I feel like it wasn't very engaging at all. Then I realized the key to the car is to keep it in Sport or Sport Plus. The reason being is that the first 2500 RPMs are VERY flat - almost like turbo lag - especially with the DCT transmission. The great thing about using Sport Plus is that the throttle is so sensitive that you're up into the 2500+ range in no time, which is where this car really likes to be. Because it's not that engaging in Normal power mode, I always drive it in Sport Plus (or at least mostly) and that really changes the character of the car. Some have also said they think it's a little louder in Sport Plus and I agree...
- Not as fun to drive with the roof up - While I like the E93 better than the E46 with the roof down, I think the E46 was more fun with the roof up because there was less sound proofing so you can hear the engine better in the E46, especially at lower RPMs. This is my second biggest gripe about the E93 after the one above. All of that being said, driving in Sport Plus does help to make the car more fun with the roof up :-)
- DCT too smooth! As an enthusiast, I appreciate the speed of the DCT shifts but I find it too smooth and not involving enough. That's coming from someone who actually LIKED SMG - I am one of only few people that I know who liked it - because it made me feel very connected to the car.
- Heavier and a little bigger - You can definitely feel both of these when cornering and I think it's exacerbated by the reduction of road feel. But the E93 clearly feels heavier and bigger than the E46. My E46 feel extremely nimble and this feels less nimble (although still more nimble than an E60 M6 Convertible).
- Brakes. Speaking of heavier and bigger, the braking distance seems to be noticeably longer in the E93, I'm guessing due to the increased weight. I really liked the brakes on the E46 - they were very impressive. Hopefully my E93 brakes will "break-in" and improve over time.
- Tire noise at highway speeds (Contis) - Like I have read in some F10 M5 reviews, the tire noise at highway speeds is MUCH worse than I expected. I have no idea whether it's the Contis (I used to have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my E46) but it's quite annoying.
- Truck space/design - Clearly the cover that in the truck that houses the roof is annoying and makes the car a little less practical with the roof down.

Final Conclusion: The E93 is no doubt an improvement in pretty much every aspect of typical car evolution - It's more refined, much nicer inside, has better tech, is more configurable, and is faster than the E46. But all of these improvements definitely come at the expense losing road feel and rawness in general, which is a tough pill to swallow for an enthusiast.

The engine in this is car is really special. Notice that I said the engine very specifically. I think the E46 as a CAR is very special, while the E93's engine is very special. I bonded with my E46 and felt like I was one with my machine. I expect to bond with the E93's engine (and I have to a large extent already bonded with it) but I doubt I will ever bond with the E93's steering. The E93's suspension and steering are ok but not special, as you're much more disconnected from them compared to an E46. For example, the E46's steering feel is much more communicative from the road and is really dead on, while the E93's steering in Sport mode is VERY good but lacks that additional level of communication.

As a final note, I do think the engine in the E93 is so special and really at a much higher level compared to the E46 that it will probably outweigh the lack of communication in the E93 vs the E46. I would HIGHLY recommend that you try this car in Sport Plus if you're considering one, as it really changes its personality entirely compared to Normal power mode. I guess the best way to describe it is that the E93 is already making me grin (BUT ONLY when I push it and/or in Sport Plus) more than my E46, while the E46 satisfied me even at very low RPMs. So I will very much miss my E46 in general, as it was a better car in some ways, especially in terms of road feel, but the M Buttom + Sport Plus will probably keep me satisfied and happy until the next gen M3 comes out, as long as I'm willing to keep it above 2500 RPMs! I clearly still have mixed emotions about trading up to the E93 and I'm hoping they will go away with time...

I hope this helped those who are considering making the move. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions, as I would be glad to help.

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #38
glockperfect
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonRa
You think after 5k rpm nothing more will happen!? Wait until the break-in period! You will be surprised!
^This

Making this post before going above 5k rpm is like discussing your favorite things about women before you've had sex.
      12-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #39
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
I'm not exactly sure, but somewhere around 6,000 miles the exhaust sound became more throaty on my E93. I had thought about getting a mod, but now am glad that I waited. It's loud enough for a daily driver -- I don't want it to sound like a Harley-Davidson with open pipes.

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #40
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Great OP
      12-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #41
Enza
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92TT

k
300 / ZSP / ZPP / ZCV / PDC / OEM M3 Mirrors (auto everything) / LCI Tails / Paddle Shifters / MTechnik Sides, Front & Rear Bumper / OEM M Spoiler, Performance Grilles / Quad Tips & Carbon Fibre Quad Diffuser (Pending) / AC Schnitzer Roof Spoiler / OEM Aluminum Footrest, Stainless Pedals (Pending) / Keyhole Delete / Euro Fog Switch (Pending) / All Weather Mats & Liner /
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #42
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
I drove a 46m vert and it felt way more loose and disconnected than the e92. It was sloppy over corners and had far greater body roll IMO. Maybe because it had double the mileage of yours but anyway grats
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #43
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockperfect View Post
^This

Making this post before going above 5k rpm is like discussing your favorite things about women before you've had sex.

Agreed. Although I still prefer the E46 above 5k RPMs vs the E93 - not sure why. I actually think it has to do with the exhaust, as it's strange that the E93 gets quieter (the exhaust does) above 4k RPMs. While it's nice to hear the engine noise at 6k on the E93, it's actually louder at 3k (at least with the OEM Exhaust Mod) so it's not quite as crazy as the E46, which was very linear. I also feel as though the E93 makes roughly the same noise between 4.5k to redline, while the E46 just keep progressing in tone. With the E46, it sounded like you were at redline at 5k RPMs but then the car would just keep going and made a pitch that you didn't think was possible! With the E93 it seems to make a similar pitch up to redline, which is less of a thrill for me. Not to say that redline on the E93 isn't thrilling
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #44
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
I drove a 46m vert and it felt way more loose and disconnected than the e92. It was sloppy over corners and had far greater body roll IMO. Maybe because it had double the mileage of yours but anyway grats

I do agree that the E46 can feel "sloppy" around corners as it ages, but I will see that the steering precision remains spot on. My E93 just feels too heavy around corners and when you add the fact that the steering isn't as precise then I would still choose the precision of the E46 for cornering vs the more stiff but less precise E93. I guess it's just subjective, which is why trying both cars is critical, as everyone will probably have a different opinion...

Last edited by jeremyr4; 12-30-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0