BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
E93 & Akra Axle-back Owners

Yes I've done hours of searching ...

I'm looking for those with e93s and Akra axle-backs only. If you're out there can you please chime in with your top-down experience?

I actually like the OEM with top-down, heavy throttle but it's a little weak post warm up.

Ideally I'm looking for the same sound as OEM on cold-start with same sound on WOT.

Any advice e93ers?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
yes....i think that's the answer you are looking for
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yes I've done hours of searching ...

I'm looking for those with e93s and Akra axle-backs only. If you're out there can you please chime in with your top-down experience?

I actually like the OEM with top-down, heavy throttle but it's a little weak post warm up.

Ideally I'm looking for the same sound as OEM on cold-start with same sound on WOT.

Any advice e93ers?

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm also looking for something that will take care of things with the roof up for my E93. Roof down the car is fantastic!

I'm also reaching the M Performance Exhaust (OEM) and Eisenmann Sport. Let's trade notes once we both do our research. I'm slated to hear the MPE in-person on Thurs.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to trade notes.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread.
Cool thanks! Let's keep the info in the thread and that way others that are looking can get the info

Interested to hear about the MPE ... from what I've heard the Akra is a beast at idle and similar to OEM at WOT - that would be perfect for me, but I'm hoping someone can confirm it.

Don't seem to be many people with an e93 and cat-back only
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
yes....i think that's the answer you are looking for
Then you're not very good at the internet.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Then you're not very good at the internet.
Read your original post. I have no clue what the hell you are asking. My comment was called sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Read your original post. I have no clue what the hell you are asking. My comment was called sarcasm
Well I did and I thought it was pretty clear:

Quote:
Translation: if you have an e93. and you have an akra axle-back only (i.e., slip-on only: no evolution). Please type words describing how that set up sounds when you have the top down. Ideally in the following scenarios:

cold start. warm idle. in-town driving. freeway cruising. WOT.

Thanks!

PS - my response was also sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
WOT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I understand that you just wanted E93 owners with the Akra axle back, but I have the Active Auto resonated x-pipe with high flow cats mated to the Akra axle back. It is a perfect sound at all RPM's. It doesn't matter if the top is up or down, it sounds great. The wife drives the car also, and she is not upset with the sound. I can only guess the Akra axle back setup will be a little calm. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Well I did and I thought it was pretty clear:

Translation: if you have an e93. and you have an akra axle-back only (i.e., slip-on only: no evolution). Please type words describing how that set up sounds when you have the top down. Ideally in the following scenarios:

cold start. warm idle. in-town driving. freeway cruising. WOT.

Thanks!

PS - my response was also sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update for the OP - I had a drive in an E92 with the M Performance Exhaust and it was just too quiet under 3,500 RPMs - very similar to stock up to that range. In doing more research, I have been told that the Akra Slip-On is louder in that range than the MPE, while the Eisenmann Sport is even louder than the ASO.

I am supposed to be meeting someone on Tues with the ASO so I will post an update after I hear it. I am VERY much looking forward to finding the right exhaust, as the car is just too quiet in the cabin with the windows and roof up! Too bad they refined the E93 M3 well beyond the old E46 M3 Convertible because now we have to add the noise back!!

I will post an update next week. Please keep us posted on what you find in your research as well - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
KristinaHardc
Rep
Drives: bmw

I have been told that the Akra Slip-On is louder in that range than the MPE
      09-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will post an update next week. Please keep us posted on what you find in your research as well - thanks.
Awesome research Jer! Thanks very much ... looking forward to hearing your feedback from next week.

Based on your post I think I can eliminate the MPE from my list
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For the OP - I was supposed to hear the Akra Slip-On last night but the person I was meeting couldn't make it, so unfortunately I don't have an update at this time. I also just posted a message (in the main topics area) trying to find someone in Los Angeles who has down either the OEM Exhaust Mod or the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod.

I will keep you posted but unfortunately I don't have any updates quite yet...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Jeremy! Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Some Exhaust Feedback

Scott,

Ok - I have now had a chance to listen to several exhausts so I have some feedback for you and I made a decision for myself (just today so I haven't done the mod yet). While I will do my best to contrast the exhausts I have heard below, unfortunately it's clear that my opinion is very subjective so I would strongly recommend you listen to an exhaust you're considering in-person, as what's too loud for me might not be too loud for you, etc. As most others have said, listening to the videos online doesn't do any of the exhausts justice so you really have to listen to them in-person to be sure.

My Initial Objective: Add more volume in the cabin at lower RPMs for more noise during lower-end city driving. I have concluded that this is not really possible without a VERY loud exhaust due to the hardtop roof + noise insulation. So unfortunately I just won't have as much noise in the cabin as my E46 M3 Convertible (due to the E46's soft top), as I'm not willing to have it super loud outside because I'm a low-key guy. And I am not looking to add any power to the car - it's all about sound for me

My Final Objective: Add as much volume in the cabin at lower RPMs as possible (for more noise during lower-end city driving) while keeping it not too loud to not be able to have a conversation on my bluetooth headset with the roof down. So my noise limit now is being able to have a conversation with the roof down, despite the exhaust noise. I am not looking to add any power to the car - it's all about sound for me

With my Final Objective in my mind, here's my final verdict in order of best fit 1st, given my goals:

1) OEM Exhaust Mod (Non-Perforated - 2 Pipes) - My 1st Choice and What I Plan To Do - While I think this mod is about 20-25% louder on the outside than I would like, I'm hoping I will still be able to have a conversation on my bluetooth headset with the roof down with normal driving. I don't think a conversation on my bluetooth headset will be possible with hard driving but I'm not usually talking while driving quickly!! For the purposes of having as much noise in the cabin as possible under lower-end city driving, I would rather have my mod be slightly too loud than not loud enough, as not loud enough would be frustrating. So this is my #1 choice and what I plan to do. The sound is honestly not that much louder with the roof + windows up (maybe 20-25% louder) but it's better than nothing and is as loud as I would want to go on the outside. It will probably add a little involvement to my normal daily driving, which is my bottom-line goal. While I originally figured I was going to want to do the non-perforated 4 pipes, this is PLENTY loud for someone like me and frankly it might be too loud for some people out there who aren't used to modifying their exhaust (like me - this will be my first time). The best way I can describe the sound level is it's not quite as loud as an M6 Convertible (previous gen - V10) with the roof up (maybe 80% as loud) but it's much louder than the M6 Convertible with the roof down. The sound itself is FANTASTIC - like everyone says. Like I have read in other threads, it's a combination of bassy V8 + more exotic. It's not quite as perfectly exotic through the entire rev range as a car that is designed with sound in mind (like a Ferrari, for example) but it's pretty damn good. And it's VERY hard to beat the price (probably around $300!). It's worth noting that I was willing to spend up to $3,500 for whatever my first choice was, so the cost really wasn't a factor for me - just a nice bonus that it happens to be my 1st choice. As others have said, I would HIGHLY recommend that you listen to one, as it might be hard to beat. BTW, I disagree with some people who say that the car should have come stock like this. I think the car should have come stock with this type of sound but probably quieter than the mod sound level... I consider this a mid-range sound level for an exhaust mod in general (ie. louder than the Akra Slip-On Exhaust but not as loud as the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod), which means that when you hear it drive by you know its either modified or a VERY loud stock car from the manufacturer (ie. Jaguar XKR-S).

2) Akra Slip-On Exhaust - I liked the sound and it probably added about 10% to the cabin noise with the roof + windows up. If the OEM Exhaust Mod didn't exist then I would probably listen to other cat-back solutions but I suspect it would be high up on my list. The bottom line is that it just wasn't loud enough for me with the roof + windows up compared to the OEM Exhaust Mod. It's probably a great fit for someone who wants a better sound and a very slightly higher sound level. It hardly sounded like a modified exhaust to me in terms of sound level (not type of sound) when listening to it drive away.

3 Tie) ACM OEM Exhaust Mod - WAY too loud for me with the windows down so it would probably be WAY too loud with my roof down. Bottom line is that it wasn't a consideration for me because I can't see how I could have a conversation with someone on my bluetooth headset with my roof down. It's clearly on the louder end of the exhaust spectrum - probably more of a "Race" than a "Sport" exhaust in terms of sound level, at least over 3k RPMs. All of that being said, it's sufficiently quiet on the low-end to the point that if you drive the car very softly with the windows up then you won't hear much of a difference. But all other driving is too loud for me. It's actually almost the opposite of what I am looking for - quiet on the low end and VERY loud on the high end.

3 Tie) M Performance Exhaust - Nice sound but it doesn't add much (if any) sound inside the cabin at anything under 3k RPMs. Very, very similar to stock sound levels below 3k RPMs. Above 3k RPMs it definitely has a nice sound that is different than the stock exhaust, as most people report. But it just doesn't mesh well with my goals.

I left out 1 more exhaust I heard - the Akra Evo - only because it's not the cat-back mod I'm looking for and is far beyond my budget, so it really doesn't belong on my list.

Anyhow, I hope that helps. I'm going to get the OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perforated) after my initial 1,200 mile service in 1-2 months and I will prey that it's not too loud for me to have a conversation on my bluetooth headset with my roof down. I pretty much won't know until I get it so I'm willing to take the risk, as I can always put the roof up for an important conversation if need be. I'd rather trade off having to put the roof up for that need vs. not doing the mod, as it sounds too good and frankly I'm just too unhappy with the car's sound stock (it's too quiet, especially with the roof + windows up!).

I will report back after I do the mod to let you know my opinion about having a conversation on my bluetooth headset with my roof down but I anticipate it will take a good 1-2 months. I think my countdown to the 1,200 mile service is something like 350 miles but it will probably take me 1-2 months to drive that distance!

Hope this helps,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have now had a chance to listen to several exhausts so I have some feedback for you and I made a decision for myself
Stellar write up Jeremy! Exactly the kind of investigative journalism that's been missing

Any chance you have a description or link to the 2 pipe mod your referring to?

thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #16
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Stellar write up Jeremy! Exactly the kind of investigative journalism that's been missing

Any chance you have a description or link to the 2 pipe mod your referring to?

thanks again!

Unfortunately I don't have a description of the mod. I am planning on doing it through a shop where it was done by the person who showed it to me today. If you search on the term "perforated" then it will show up. It's known as the OEM Exhaust Mod (Non-Perforated) because you essentially cut out perforated pipes and replace them with non-perforated pipes. I believe it can be done to 2 pipes or 4. 4 pipes is supposed to be slightly louder but I am going to stick with 2, as it was plenty loud for me.

I hope this helps - sorry that I couldn't be more helpful for your specific questions (ie. for a link).
Appreciate 0