BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

01-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Buying M3 in US and bringing to Canada?

the pricing for the new M3 came out, around 57K USD...

i WAS leaping for joy for about 5 seconds until i remember i don't live in the states...

now is there any Canadians here planning to buy the new M3 from US and drive back to Canada somehow?

the old M3 was 73K CAD base i beleive, so i really doubt the new one would be any cheaper...even at 73K, i think i'd rather get it from the states...

so my question is, is it possible to still purchase cars from US and still bring it back up here...'cause i remember the US kind of banned this thing, not letting US dealers sell to Canadians...

EDIT: 1,000 post...NICE
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
the pricing for the new M3 came out, around 57K USD...

i WAS leaping for joy for about 5 seconds until i remember i don't live in the states...

now is there any Canadians here planning to buy the new M3 from US and drive back to Canada somehow?

the old M3 was 73K CAD base i beleive, so i really doubt the new one would be any cheaper...even at 73K, i think i'd rather get it from the states...

so my question is, is it possible to still purchase cars from US and still bring it back up here...'cause i remember the US kind of banned this thing, not letting US dealers sell to Canadians...

EDIT: 1,000 post...NICE

there are a couple of companies who specialize in this. They have a registered corp in the us that buys the cars. That keeps the dealers form loosing their dealership. They'll then do all the paper work and ship the car anywhere in the Canada. I seem to remember the whole thing cost $2500.

I expect the Canadian MSRP will be much higher than in the US but i also expect the base car here to have many more standard features (like cold weather package, leather, 19's. etc)

Also, keep in mind there is a 6% import duty on cars manufactured outside north america
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
there are a couple of companies who specialize in this. They have a registered corp in the us that buys the cars. That keeps the dealers form loosing their dealership. They'll then do all the paper work and ship the car anywhere in the Canada. I seem to remember the whole thing cost $2500.

I expect the Canadian MSRP will be much higher than in the US but i also expect the base car here to have many more standard features (like cold weather package, leather, 19's. etc)

Also, keep in mind there is a 6% import duty on cars manufactured outside north america
well, after 6% and the 2500, I think i'll get the better deal in US

btw, is there any other things i should be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
usexpat
Registered
Rep
Drives: Clunker

Quote:
Yes. There are a lot of things. First, go to www.riv.ca and note that all luxury car makers (BMW included) are no longer disclosing US/Canadian import compatibility in the charts any more...2 years ago they had no issue in publishing it...all of the sudden it disappeared. I wonder why?

Perhaps it's an explanation as to why BMW now charges $850 for paperwork alone (in addition to any required parts costs) to import an American spec BMW into Canada. Beyond that, there are a lot of hidden gotchas..daytime running lights, immobilizers, child seat tethers, 5mph bumpers (US is only 2.5mph) that could easily tack on between $2k to $7k to the cost of importing. If I ran BMW, I would design the American and Canadian models to be as incompatible as possible so that importing an American car into Canada becomes an expensive and arduous task. And to that point, it wouldn't surprise me if the new 2008 M3 had those differences deliberately engineered into the American/Canadian models, considering how the exchange rate has made arbitrage very attractive (and exposed how exhorbitant Canadian pricing is for cars in general) in recent years.

Here's the most comprehensive site I've found on importing BMW's (specifically) from the States to Canada:
http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm

Latest rumors put the Canadian M3 in the $80k to "sub-$100k" range...plus $2k in freight & PDI. Then again, it's probably a situation of those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking. But if that price range is accurate, it's worth giving Uncle Bob in New Hampshire a call and asking a favor out of him...

Last edited by usexpat; 01-22-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
well, after 6% and the 2500, I think i'll get the better deal in US

No included maintenance and lower reasle value are the 2 that jump out. Also, some banks won't finance a US car.

Really though, this discussion is kind of pointless with out knowing the Canadian pricing.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

An M3 will be a fairly high maintenance car.

It may be worth it to you to develop a strong relationship with the dealer by buying a car from them and servicing with them regularily.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Just to add to this discussion you cannot import a new car into Canada if its a BMW. The car must have a title (used to a certain extent) and I heard at one point that it has to be older then one year of production to qualify for BMW to give you a recall letter. Best bet is to buy the car in the US, register it there with a family member, and get Canadian insurance and drive it up here with a US plate. Good luck explaining that to 5-0 when they pull you over :P.

Frankly BMW has made it really hard. I have a friend that does this for a living and he refuses to do anything with an 08 or newer badge on it - says its just too hard with BMW. Its just amazing how crazy the prices are here compared to the US its unjustifiable regardless of market size or cost of doing business in Canada... its just them wanting to hose us... baby oil please :P.