BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

01-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
br-
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/DCT/EDC

Eibach Springs - EDC question

I'm about to fit some Eibach springs on my E92 with EDC. I've a question on removing/installing the struts and EDC connectors. When I'm removing these do I need to mark the position of the strut before removal so that when reinstalled the EDC motor and strut are at their exact settings prior to removal? And if not would this result in the EDC settings being messed up in relation to the shock valve setting?

Hope this makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
br-
Ireland
Rep

Someone must know???
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
wheatpaste
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

You're asking if you need to mark the position of the EDC connector where it connects to the top of the strut? In my experience the answer is no, it makes no difference.

The front struts each have two pins for the connector, and polarity doesn't seem to matter (connector can be plugged into the top of the strut two different ways without any change to operation). The rear struts each have a single pin for the connector, so again there's no wrong way to make the connection to the top of the rear struts either.

There's no motor on the top of the strut, if that's what you're thinking... it's just a cover and simple electrical connection that pulls straight out for both the front and rear.

I'm not an expert, but I've replaced one of my front EDC connectors and also swapped my standard EDC struts for ZCP EDC struts & springs. I haven't had any errors or issues with the EDC on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #4
br-
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpaste View Post
You're asking if you need to mark the position of the EDC connector where it connects to the top of the strut? In my experience the answer is no, it makes no difference.

The front struts each have two pins for the connector, and polarity doesn't seem to matter (connector can be plugged into the top of the strut two different ways without any change to operation). The rear struts each have a single pin for the connector, so again there's no wrong way to make the connection to the top of the rear struts either.

There's no motor on the top of the strut, if that's what you're thinking... it's just a cover and simple electrical connection that pulls straight out for both the front and rear.

I'm not an expert, but I've replaced one of my front EDC connectors and also swapped my standard EDC struts for ZCP EDC struts & springs. I haven't had any errors or issues with the EDC on my car.
Thanks for the reply. What I'm actually talking about is when I remove the EDC cover which houses the EDC motor. Say I then install the strut 180 degrees out, or happen to move the EDC motor shaft will this upset the EDC to strut valve setting?

To make it simple, the strut is set to the 'comfort' valve setting and then I install the cover with motor and then this has moved to the 'sport' setting?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
wheatpaste
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by br- View Post
Thanks for the reply. What I'm actually talking about is when I remove the EDC cover which houses the EDC motor. Say I then install the strut 180 degrees out, or happen to move the EDC motor shaft will this upset the EDC to strut valve setting?

To make it simple, the strut is set to the 'comfort' valve setting and then I install the cover with motor and then this has moved to the 'sport' setting?
You're just talking about the semi-spherical/dome shaped cover that goes on top of the strut, right? There is no motor under there, it's just an electrical connection that plugs directly into the top of the strut.

As far as I understand the different dampening settings are all controlled by the car's electronics. The actuator and valves that alter the dampening characteristics of the strut are all integral to the body of the strut, so there's no way you could mechanically change the dampening like you're thinking.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

There's no motor in there. It's just a connector. No need to mark anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
br-
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpaste View Post
You're just talking about the semi-spherical/dome shaped cover that goes on top of the strut, right? There is no motor under there, it's just an electrical connection that plugs directly into the top of the strut.

As far as I understand the different dampening settings are all controlled by the car's electronics. The actuator and valves that alter the dampening characteristics of the strut are all integral to the body of the strut, so there's no way you could mechanically change the dampening like you're thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
There's no motor in there. It's just a connector. No need to mark anything.
Thanks guys. Makes sense now, guess I was over complicating things. I thought this picture looked like a motor that went into the strut to adjust it (I had TEIN EDFC years ago which was like this), but I can see now its just a connector!

Appreciate 0