BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
robotrenegade
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2015 X5d  [10.00]
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1984 Trans-AM  [10.00]
Frozen Colors (Upkeep)

I'm looking into a frozen color for the new M5. I wanted to see if anyone that has a frozen color car, could give any insight to its upkeep. (Yes, I have seen the M3 review on Topgear)

///M5 | F10 | Black Sapphire Metallic | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Merino Leather | Anthracite Wood Trim | DCT | Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotrenegade View Post
I'm looking into a frozen color for the new M5. I wanted to see if anyone that has a frozen color car, could give any insight to its upkeep. (Yes, I have seen the M3 review on Topgear)
It's easier to maintain than a glossy car. All you need is the full Swisswax Opaque Matte Kit. I wash my car twice a month and dust & quick detail spray in between for up keep. I don't have any swirls or light scratches like on gloss cars. Don't believe the hype about how it's a PITA to keep clean! If you're gonna get PPF, use Xpel Stelth!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

I would think a matte color would be hard, but aren't the frozen colors more semi-gloss or satin rather than matte? If so, it shouldn't be that much worse than a regular metallic paint, I think...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Isn't the main issue that without a clear coat (assuming they are using a 1 step system) there is nothing to protect the color?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Isn't the main issue that without a clear coat (assuming they are using a 1 step system) there is nothing to protect the color?
There is a clear coat on frozen colors.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
It's easier to maintain than a glossy car. All you need is the full Swisswax Opaque Matte Kit. I wash my car twice a month and dust & quick detail spray in between for up keep. I don't have any swirls or light scratches like on gloss cars. Don't believe the hype about how it's a PITA to keep clean! If you're gonna get PPF, use Xpel Stelth!
100% correct.
I use Swisswax opaque for matte paint too.

matte paint is easier to upkeep than regular paint.
if you get a scratch, you can just get that small area touched up. The new layer of paint will blend in very well & it's much quicker to dry too.

Whereas with regular glossy paint, you'd have to get the entire panel sanded down, then add base paint layer, wait for that to dry then add gloss, & wait for that to dry completely & then you can be on your way.

Also, like regular paint, if the scratches arent too deep, you can buff them out.

I will never go back to regular paint.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

It's funny how owners of gloss paint always talk about how hard it is to maintain a frozen colour and vice-versa. If you have never owned a frozen colour then why intimidate others from buying when it is clear that the upkeep isn't that hard at all. I love my Jet Black but for the simple day to day driving infliction of marks and scratch lines I'd rather own Frozen Black.

However, OP just pick up the M5 in MCB or AW with Black interior + Piano Black trim, that's what I'll be doing, can't see myself driving that car in a frozen colour, but then again maybe it's time to switch up the ///M. Hmm
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
mmandaniel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Her name is Betsy.

matte is easier to upkeep than gloss, but from my experience, vinyl is the easiest to up keep, and protects your paint
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Chemical Guys Matte Quick Detail Spray works very well for spot cleaning & in between wash upkeep and it's less expensive than the SV opaque QD spray
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
The formula for matte paints always have a bit of gloss.
To me, that's the paint protection.
if the scratch isn't too deep, you can buff it out easily.

It's been raining a lot here & everytime I *feel* the paint gets a bit of degrading, I get it waxed, & it look as good as new, & smells better.

The swissvax opaque is awesome. It not only smells GREAT, but It also adds high quality shine to it. The shine doesnt mean glossy, it just shows off the paint very well.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandaniel View Post
matte is easier to upkeep than gloss, but from my experience, vinyl is the easiest to up keep, and protects your paint
IMHO, no vinyl can match a good quality paint job.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
mmandaniel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Her name is Betsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
IMHO, no vinyl can match a good quality paint job.
yeah I've heard that a lot, but IMO theres a couple companies out there that do an amazing job, and that most people mistake for a paint job
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
fishyxy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3

matte colors look like plastic.
mineral colors look much better in quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandaniel View Post
yeah I've heard that a lot, but IMO theres a couple companies out there that do an amazing job, and that most people mistake for a paint job
I somewhat agree with you.
However, if you put 2 cars next to each other, you can clearly tell.
The vinyl is dull, whereas the matte paint is more shiny because the formula has a bit of metallic & gloss.

At every angle, especially low light, you will see that the matte paint will show the shades of paint color from dark to bright. No vinyl can do that.

Anyways, my point is matte paint is easy to upkeep. & the paint job is just a mod. if you dont like it, have the car repainted. no big deal. I get a bit carried away huh.

Cheers.

Last edited by speedfan; 11-09-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
Anyways, my point is matte paint is easy to upkeep. & the paint job is just a mod.
I want to believe you on the first point, but if a paint job is "just a mod" to you, your idea of "easy" might be alot harder than my idea!

But.... cool thread nonetheless, I guess the matte paint upkeep issue is just a myth
      11-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

I have a frozen gray M3 and i dont do anything other than car wash at the petrol station (manual hand wash version). It's maintenance free for me and i never have to worry about water mark. I like it so much that i ordered my F10 M5 in the same color
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
Mick0
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

I Agree with Clar, its not bad to upkeep at all. Course I'm only a coupe of months in. And you wouldn't believe the amount of attention it generates.

Just make sure not to use any automated washed or anything that put wax on it. None of those have the special wax mentioned multiple times in this thread required for the Matte finish.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
I want to believe you on the first point, but if a paint job is "just a mod" to you, your idea of "easy" might be alot harder than my idea!

But.... cool thread nonetheless, I guess the matte paint upkeep issue is just a myth
hehehe matte paint is easy to upkeep.

About the mod thing..
If you're nick picky about paint finish, then you shouldn't be happy with the factory paint job. it has crappy orange peel all over your expensive car.

Lets say you're not happy with your paint color/finish, then just 1 paint job away & it'll be perfect the way you want.

Appreciate 0