BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

09-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

DSC off warning

I turned my DSC off to test the launch function and forgot to turn it back on. I went to do a simple U turn and spun a 180! Good thing no fast on coming cars!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
m0da
in the right lane
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 m3

I do 180s when I make U turns as well.

Not sure if troll or...

Either way, great message: DSC is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0da

Not sure if troll or...

good response! Maybe he meant he did a 360 then
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

I usually do 540s, but admittedly I'm a show off.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
I do that with DSC on.....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

What's the point of this thread???

By the way... I had chicken for dinner tonight... I just wanted to share that with everyone in case anyone was interested!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano
Ya but you drive a skateboard
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnombe
Quote:

Not sure if troll or...

good response! Maybe he meant he did a 360 then
Yes, 360 sorry. Being a noob I wanted to share my experience. Never had this happen with my Mini with the DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

How often is DSC intervening for you normally? I can't say that its ever come on for me during daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

The whole "DSC is a must" thing is a myth perpetuated by BMW dealerships and ZCP homers everywhere. After all, the appeal of M button / iDrive (is that how it works?) is predicated on "DSC off" being untenable / too dangerous.

I drive with DSC off all of the time, including a full day at Lime Rock Park - my first time tracking w/o nary even a slight misstep of the back end - and I wasn't exactly driving like a choir boy.

I hate to say it, but the car is at its best when all of that shit is turned off. Anyone who proclaims that "DSC off" = "the sky is falling" most likely works for BMW and is trying to ensure that comp package upsell.
      09-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:

Not sure if troll or...

I don't know about you but I do 180s when going straight.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Constructive thread..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman727 View Post
I turned my DSC off to test the launch function and forgot to turn it back on. I went to do a simple U turn and spun a 180! Good thing no fast on coming cars!!
How did you survive before stability control in cars? How are you alive, before you came upon the M3? Good thing we have torque anemic car or we would have all twirled into a ditch on the first drive. LOL, JK man!
      09-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se
The whole "DSC is a must" thing is a myth perpetuated by BMW dealerships and ZCP homers everywhere. After all, the appeal of M button / iDrive (is that how it works?) is predicated on "DSC off" being untenable / too dangerous.

I drive with DSC off all of the time, including a full day at Lime Rock Park - my first time tracking w/o nary even a slight misstep of the back end - and I wasn't exactly driving like a choir boy.

I hate to say it, but the car is at its best when all of that shit is turned off. Anyone who proclaims that "DSC off" = "the sky is falling" most likely works for BMW and is trying to ensure that comp package upsell.
I think u meant the MDM program of DSC on cars with ZCP.

I agree with you that it's mostly marketing / sales reasons to push MDM as a must have to sell ZCP. TBH though my dealer didn't push that on me nor they needed to coz I bought ZCP mostly for the look of that 19" rim plus the slightly lowered stance right from factory

Back to the stupid misconception that DSC off is "too dangerous". If the car is so naturally deadly, why is there even a DSC off button on even non-ZCP car to begin with, right? Also that would mean M did a messed-up job engineering the handling?!

In the end, there's no substitute for the driver's being responsible and aware of the car's dynamics and limits and most importantly, the driver's own limit and how to actually control the freaking car. Car balancing (weight transfer), throttle input, brake, steering input controls are what driving a performance car should be about; not to rely on the electronic nanny while just smashing the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
InterJon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman727
/troll. In any event, roll tide. Big 10 is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Yes, 360 sorry. Being a noob I wanted to share my experience. Never had this happen with my Mini with the DSC off.
Do you know the difference between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive? The Mini is front wheel drive and the BMWs are rear wheel drive. Of course the car handles and drives differently.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Quote:
Do you know the difference between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive? The Mini is front wheel drive and the BMWs are rear wheel drive. Of course the car handles and drives differently.
Yes I had a 330i zhp before. I'm no track whore like most of you people who comment. I stand for the common man but I do intend to do hdpe's to get better. So all you snotty nose in the air arrogant folks can keep your barbs to yourselves!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #19
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post

Agree and disagree.....

I completely agree that "the car is at its best when all of that shit is turned off". However, on the street, a RWD car with this much power can definitely bite you unexpectedly. A wet spot on the road, bumpy pavement with a little too much throttle, etc, etc.

There was a post a while back from a guy who always drove with DSC full off and was very exerienced with the dynamics of the car like this. Still, he hit some rough pavement at a turn, was a little heavy on the gas, and slammed his rear wheel into a curb.

Over the years, cars have gotten more and more powerful. It wasn't that long ago that 414hp was true exotic car territory. It is the advances in electronic traction management that makes this kind of RWD power safer to drive on the street for non pro-drivers.
      09-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:

Agree and disagree.....

I completely agree that "the car is at its best when all of that shit is turned off". However, on the street, a RWD car with this much power can definitely bite you unexpectedly. A wet spot on the road, bumpy pavement with a little too much throttle, etc, etc.

There was a post a while back from a guy who always drove with DSC full off and was very exerienced with the dynamics of the car like this. Still, he hit some rough pavement at a turn, was a little heavy on the gas, and slammed his rear wheel into a curb.

Over the years, cars have gotten more and more powerful. It wasn't that long ago that 414hp was true exotic car territory. It is the advances in electronic traction management that makes this kind of RWD power safer to drive on the street for non pro-drivers.
Thank you! I must have pressed too hard on the gas pedal when I made the U.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
DSC OFF on track, DSC ON on street. Some people do it backwards. If you are getting DSC to intervene on the street then you are probably going too fast for your own good. Keep that shit on the track, but bet you'll be too scared to turn it off there. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:

Agree and disagree.....

Thank you! I must have pressed too hard on the gas pedal when I made the U.
D-U-H!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread