BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

05-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Opinions on Used M3 no Nav

Hi guys- new to the forum but not to M3's. I'm about to purchase an M3 with DCT, sunroof, EDC, 19's, and Premium Package for around 55K. It is practically new with 1200 miles, only 4 months old.

White with carbon black on black is what I want, but I'm not sure about no technology package. I go back and forth, I like the clean look on the dash, much more sporting and M Drive is not on my wish list. BUT- all of our cars including my last M3 had Nav. Realistically I don't use Nav that often however.

So- what I'm looking for are opinions on both sides- I'm buying the car all the way across the country, so I'm interested on what you guys think before I jump on a plane to make the deal...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

Personally, there are three reasons I'd want the tech package:

1. M-button - I think the ability to configure the car is one of the selling points of the new M3

2. iPod/USB interface - I think having the screen makes using any ipod/USB stored music a lot easier

3. Resale - I think those cars with Nav are going to either command a higher resale price or sell easier, either is useful when you want your next M3.

Nav isn't the highlight for me, it's all the other stuff that comes with the tech package. Also when you add up the individual components it's quite a bargain - Nav is normally $2100, EDC is $1000, Comfort access $500, so that's $3600 worth of options for $3250 plus the M-button which you can't get separately.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, the only thing I won't have with this car is the M button and Nav. It has EDC and Ipod interface, along with Sat Radio. I know what you are saying about resale, but.... just recently sold my old '03 M3 with Nav- Nav was worth about..... nothing. Same with SMG- both were originally expensive options, but the market makes the SMG and Nav equiped models worth about the same as others without. I suspect in five years it will be the same. You could argue that this market adjustment has already happened since I don't see any premium paid for DCT models- mine is priced the same as standard cars without DCT.

I also just looked at the available Garmin Nuvi's, they are very inexpensive ($220 at Costco for 265 wt with live traffic for life) and are very easy to use.

I guess having said all of this, I have made up my mind that I won't miss it. If it was mine to order, I would get it, but I'm getting a great discount off of what is essentially a new car- just one option off of what I would get!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
DaFool
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
Well, the only thing I won't have with this car is the M button and Nav. It has EDC and Ipod interface, along with Sat Radio. I know what you are saying about resale, but.... just recently sold my old '03 M3 with Nav- Nav was worth about..... nothing. Same with SMG- both were originally expensive options, but the market makes the SMG and Nav equiped models worth about the same as others without. I suspect in five years it will be the same. You could argue that this market adjustment has already happened since I don't see any premium paid for DCT models- mine is priced the same as standard cars without DCT.

I also just looked at the available Garmin Nuvi's, they are very inexpensive ($220 at Costco for 265 wt with live traffic for life) and are very easy to use.

I guess having said all of this, I have made up my mind that I won't miss it. If it was mine to order, I would get it, but I'm getting a great discount off of what is essentially a new car- just one option off of what I would get!!!
I also don't think you get the "Sport Plus" mode which is only available in MDrive. Frankly, I personally think the technology package is a must have, but if you're only going to be tracking it, then eh.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

Well I really think it depends on the type of person you are. This is a little trick I use every time I'm unsure if I can go without something.

1) Take a coin and assign a heads/tails value to with nav, without nav.
2) Flip coin.
3) If whatever side the coin falls on makes you "relieved," then that's what you truly want. But if instead you get an "aww man" feeling, then you're just lying to yourself because you want the car.
4) ??????????
5) PROFIT!

On a side note, I think at this point $55k is too much to pay for a used M3. There are a relatively decent amount of new 08's left that are better-optioned for about 50-55. Might take some searching around but they're out there. I would try to look for one of those rather than jumping on this one.

P.S. If you don't get #4 and #5 right away, just ignore them.
      05-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

Navi is a must.. when i got my 335i.. i thought it was no big deal w/o navi. Human nature is like... when u don't have it.. you want it. When u have it, u think is not a must
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Actually I really haven't found any other cars with the color combination and DCT at a better price. And my price is actually a little shy of 55k. 55K includes shipping.

And, really the most important to me is that the car is really a new car- It hasn't even had the break-in service yet, and only 4 mos since new. So really, any new '08's out there for under 55K? I haven't seen any.

And yes, you always want what you don't have- including the M3! My sorry tale to cut it short: Buy SUV in dead of winter, sell PY '03 sitting in the garage, sun comes out no sports car!???- sell the SUV, and go on the hunt for an M3.

So really the M3 is what I want, considering my situation a month ago, driving around an SUV (I nice AMG ML, but still an SUV), I'm thinking that Nav or no Nav I really can't go wrong!!! Should I wait for something to come up exactly like I want- I think I'll wait a long time, and there will always be something not quite right, like the mileage, or condition, or who knows what. The only way to get it perfect is to order it and spend another $12,000- and I guess I'll put a sticky note there on the dash with that number each time I think I want the factory Nav!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

i dont miss having nav at all. the only option i wish i had was the usb, and maybe heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

No Nav! I had every opportunity to order mine with the Tech Pkg, but I chose not to have it. The dash looks much better and more importantly I have no distractions on the pure driving experience of my new M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Navi is a must.. when i got my 335i.. i thought it was no big deal w/o navi. Human nature is like... when u don't have it.. you want it. When u have it, u think is not a must
But a $200 Garmin works better and is portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
No Nav! I had every opportunity to order mine with the Tech Pkg, but I chose not to have it. The dash looks much better and more importantly I have no distractions on the pure driving experience of my new M3.
I was in the same boat. I HATE the double hump and the only thing I want with the Tech is MDM. I don't want 3 power steering settings or EDC since I'm getting coils at some point.

The only thing I really miss on my car is the USB port, which can't be retrofitted.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^I wish MDM would be a stand alone option also, but oh well. No matter what anyone says, I really, strongly feel that the M mode has any significant affect. Many would argue my point, but I feel it's an extra distraction to the pure performance minded driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

tech package is a must!
      05-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^So many people advised me the same......But I guess I'm just too darn stubborn. I think I would be much happier without the Tech Pkg, compered to having it. I just don't like BMW's Tech products. BMW tried to blend it in with the M3, but to me, it just complicates things.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
rainzoro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: jerez black M3

Excluding the mind boggling M drive mode, I personally think there's only one thing worth talking about in the tech package.

the freaking Navigation.
what can i say about the notorious iDrive, I just see TOO many people and reviews complaining about the nav satellite system. the complain varies from talking about how it displays, how slow, and for the final, how in hell damn hard it is to get used to the control system.

why take the risk while you can get a portable nav systems getting praised in reviews.

forgive me for using the word "review" too many times but let me tell you one thing.
when 9 out of 10 reviewers criticize on something, the chances are, there's a bloody reason for it.

but for the last part, I can tell you one thing good about having the nav system.
the look.
it just simply looks better and luxurious than having a dangling swinging swanging little portable nav.

So in conclusion
if you want to look cool get the nav
if you want practicality trash the nav
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

I have to admit I prefer my Garmin Nuvi 200 (that I got for around $99 a year ago) to the BMW built in nav. I find the Garmin more accurate and much easier to use with a touchcreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainzoro View Post
Excluding the mind boggling M drive mode, I personally think there's only one thing worth talking about in the tech package.

the freaking Navigation.
what can i say about the notorious iDrive, I just see TOO many people and reviews complaining about the nav satellite system. the complain varies from talking about how it displays, how slow, and for the final, how in hell damn hard it is to get used to the control system.

why take the risk while you can get a portable nav systems getting praised in reviews.

forgive me for using the word "review" too many times but let me tell you one thing.
when 9 out of 10 reviewers criticize on something, the chances are, there's a bloody reason for it.

but for the last part, I can tell you one thing good about having the nav system.
the look.
it just simply looks better and luxurious than having a dangling swinging swanging little portable nav.

So in conclusion
if you want to look cool get the nav
if you want practicality trash the nav
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #16
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^+1,000 I'll probally get the Garmin also. I purposely opted out of the BMW Tech Pkg because I simply wasn't very fond of how it looks and performs.
Appreciate 0