BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

Thanks 13eastie and a Non M Drive steering question

13easties description of the various controls is exactly what I needed to give me confidence to NOT order ZTP/i Drive/nav/M Drive. I prefer things be simple. It sounds as if I will be ok with the sport throttle, regular DSC, and I can always get EDC if I want.

With all the issues regarding the steering being the weak link in the car, I wonder if anyone knows what the non-adjustable, non M Drive steering is like? Might it be better (ie a more traditional feel) than what is offered via M Drive?

Thanks,

Dan
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I believe you are mixing the M button or M dynamic mode for the suspension with the idrive system. All M3's will have the M button on the steering wheel. The idrive system does not change the hardwear of the car, it simply lets you choose specific settings for the car's handling and suspension. A M3 without idrive would come with default settings which you would probably have to go to your dealership to have changed through their computers.

The non-adjustable steering would just be the default steering ratio, which is included with all M3's. If you had the idrive system you would be able to select the default setting that is standard in non-adjustable M3s if you wish. From most reviews however it still seems the steering is filtered at lower speeds for casual driving and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

The steering without the sport steering option included with Mdrive is simply that. You are left with the normal light setting.

Jason
      11-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
The steering without the sport steering option included with Mdrive is simply that. You are left with the normal light setting.

Jason
Yes, perhaps another way for BMW to shake your pockets clean....
      11-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks.

Ultimate BMW,

I am not sure I follow you and correct me if I am wrong. The non Tech Pkg cars do not have an M Drive button (since it doesnt have M Drive), but there are controls for DSC (2 options), throttle (2 options), none for suspension but you can order EDC separately, and none for steering. It would be VERY disappointing that BMW would put the light steering, which everyone hates, as the default in the simpler cars. Is everyone sure of this??

Dan
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Yes you get the light steering without M-drive... the sport steering setting is part of the Mdrive option only
      11-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

That's fine with me - don't need all of the complexity and settings. I'm not going for the EDC either. I will have the 19s though.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Dan,

I think I actually described iDrive as a necessary evil, but putting that to one side, you must consider that if you choose to forego MDrive, you will not be able to access the MDM setting for DSC i.e. if you cannot tolerate the full-on setting for DSC you will have to switch it off completely.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Milk Run
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 6MT Melb Red

Garage List
I wonderif you could change the settings using ODB

It would be useful if you could hack in and adjust these things using ODB.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Dan,

I think I actually described iDrive as a necessary evil, but putting that to one side, you must consider that if you choose to forego MDrive, you will not be able to access the MDM setting for DSC i.e. if you cannot tolerate the full-on setting for DSC you will have to switch it off completely.
It seems that non UK buyers get the option of no Sat-Nav or i-Drive, though I can't see why someone would want to for-go something which actually benefits the way the car behaves.

Sorry if this sound to blunt, but I reckon if some could get a 320ci to look and sound like an M3 then the lack of performance wouldn't be a concern to them and the very fact that 19" alloys are more important than actual driving benefits only strengthens my case.

Lets all go for the cheaper option shall we.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
It seems that non UK buyers get the option of no Sat-Nav or i-Drive, though I can't see why someone would want to for-go something which actually benefits the way the car behaves.
I think the navigation hump is a serious eye sore. The interior is not all that appealing to begin with, and it makes things worse. Never mind the fact that I will never use navigation in Boston. Regardless, I think I am going to have to cave in and go for it given I do want access to the settings. But it might be possible to do that by hacking the system with some kind of aftermarket product.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Dan,

And I should have added, the same goes for the Sport Plus throttle mapping - it is much more aggressive than the regular Sport setting and I am presuming this also will be inaccessible if you do not have MDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I think the navigation hump is a serious eye sore. The interior is not all that appealing to begin with, and it makes things worse. Never mind the fact that I will never use navigation in Boston. Regardless, I think I am going to have to cave in and go for it given I do want access to the settings. But it might be possible to do that by hacking the system with some kind of aftermarket product.
I don't think the hump is that bad. I've gotten use to it. My biggest beef with the interior is how they conformed and moved the windows to the doors and not in the middle console anymore. I love how my car is different than all the others in that respect.

As for using the satnav... your in boston, plenty of good roads in the area to go find, i'd suggest turning on the over head map and go exploring for a nice drive. I'm over in albany and found Rt. 2 towards boston (i think i even cross over into mass while driving it). You might know this road as Old Mohawk trail. Its alot of fun about 30m east of Troy in Albany.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #14
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Just say 'no' to the hump and electro-bunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
I am not sure I follow you and correct me if I am wrong. The non Tech Pkg cars do not have an M Drive button (since it doesnt have M Drive), but there are controls for DSC (2 options), throttle (2 options), none for suspension but you can order EDC separately, and none for steering.
That is absolutely correct. He was mistaken.

Quote:
It would be VERY disappointing that BMW would put the light steering, which everyone hates, as the default in the simpler cars. Is everyone sure of this??
Here is what BMW says:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91002

However, from what I can discern from reading the accounts of various sources, even in the MDrive cars with the steering set to "Sport" the steering is still the weak link.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

13eastie,

Thanks- I got that you favored i Drive. It was your excellent description of how each setting felt that led me to believe I wont need the tech pkg. The non M Drive settings sound fine except ??steering,

Dan
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #17
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Christ, nothing like a sports rack being left alone and not relying on artificial weighting. Lame.
      11-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I believe you are mixing the M button or M dynamic mode for the suspension with the idrive system. All M3's will have the M button on the steering wheel. The idrive system does not change the hardwear of the car, it simply lets you choose specific settings for the car's handling and suspension.
All M3's have the "M" button, but unless you specified "M Drive" as an option then it won't do anything. It will just be a false button.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
All M3's have the "M" button, but unless you specified "M Drive" as an option then it won't do anything. It will just be a false button.
No, only cars with "M Drive" have the "M" button, without M Drive you have two programmable buttons like on the AG cars...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Once you have Nav on a car, you will like it, trust me. I was the same way about added electronics... until I had a car (my ex Z4M Coupe) with a few toys and thought ... "this is really nice!!" It makes the car FEEL like a 60-70K car.

I wouldn't skimp on the "toys" on the M3. M Drive and adjustable steering and EDC is one of the things that makes the car. If you are looking for more of a purist's car, there are better choices IMO.... (135i? - cool car)

BMW's NAV system on the M3 looks pretty good... integrated bluetooth is awesome and so is satellite radio. I love being able to find restaurants and stores easily. The voice activation is a big plus -- I hope it works well.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #21
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Once you have Nav on a car, you will like it, trust me. I was the same way about added electronics... until I had a car (my ex Z4M Coupe) with a few toys and thought ... "this is really nice!!" It makes the car FEEL like a 60-70K car.

I wouldn't skimp on the "toys" on the M3. M Drive and adjustable steering and EDC is one of the things that makes the car. If you are looking for more of a purist's car, there are better choices IMO.... (135i? - cool car)

BMW's NAV system on the M3 looks pretty good... integrated bluetooth is awesome and so is satellite radio. I love being able to find restaurants and stores easily. The voice activation is a big plus -- I hope it works well.
Voice control works very well. You can access most of the iDrive functions from the steering wheel button this way, but most impressively you can call anyone on your phone's memory by mentioning their name in the "Call" command. You'd be surprised how often you start using these "un-necessary" features!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
As for using the satnav... your in boston, plenty of good roads in the area to go find, i'd suggest turning on the over head map and go exploring for a nice drive. I'm over in albany and found Rt. 2 towards boston (i think i even cross over into mass while driving it). You might know this road as Old Mohawk trail. Its alot of fun about 30m east of Troy in Albany.
Thanks for the Rt.2 suggestion. Nav would definetely be functional for me if it helped me find cop free backroads, which must clearly be an unmet system requirement left on the M division's drawing board.
Appreciate 0