BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Best advice for relocation?

Hello all,

Would you guys shine some insight on how one can relocate to a different city for career purposes? Basically, how to land a job in a different city when the address on your resume is different?

It is something I am looking to do in the near future. So any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Repoman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10+

For one, it helps if you know someone in the industry there in that city that you are trying to move to.

It's no secret that personal connections, no matter how small, will assist you in finding a job in a new city.

I wouldn't worry about your address being different...A non-issue, I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I can give you some input as I just recently did this a year ago at 22 years old.

Depending on what you are going into, like stated above its good to have some connections, but not always necessary. Its best to study demographics of the areas you want to go, and the amenities the area can serve you and your future. Before you make a leap of faith, I highly suggest taking a week or two and scoping out the area to make sure you can see yourself residing there, along with figuring out the cost of living compared to what you expect to make annually.

As far as landing my job, I worked as a CNC Setup/programmer back in Michigan and basically utilized my resume to my advantage and just started browsing out of state listings in areas that I thought would be fitting for what I would like. Depending on your line of work, there are jobs everywhere, and if you find something out of state, you will more than likely be engaged in numerous phone conferences with these companies to figure out if you are fitting for their needs (and a lot will even pay to relocate you, as well).

Just do your research on everything. If you have a family, check out local school districts, check out surrounding areas (good & bad), and things of the like. If you don't have a family but will want to build one, take this into consideration as well. A lot of little things to make the transition that much easier and more rewarding.

As far as your address being different will not improve or deter people from hiring you out of state. People who are looking to hire, are looking to hire for all the right reasons, IE: your qualifications for the desired position, not where you reside.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0