BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Do aftermarket brakes affect offset?

I just ordered wheels and the thought occurred to me that the brakes I'm getting might mean I need a higher offset wheel to avoid rubbing. Is this true, or is the hat (?) usually the same thickness as stock?

I'm planning on getting the Alcon 365 mm kit, FWIW.

I'm very sensitive to rubbing. My old wheels + tires rub. So if the new kit increases my offset by even just 1-2 mm, I'd better hurry up and cancel or change that wheel order.

Thanks.
      07-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Two things you need to watch out for:

1) clearance between the inside of the wheel spokes towards the caliper. A higher offset or spacers can help here.

2) clearance on the inside of the wheels to the caliper. BBK calipers are alot larger and you'll probably need 19" wheels, although some aftermarket 18" may fit.

But be assured, we're not talking about "rubbing" here, but "scratching". So you'll notice right away if the wheels don't fit

Some BBK manufacturers offer cut-out templates on their website to check if the wheels clear.

Brakes don't affect the general offset or clearance of the tires towards the body.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Yes, it's possible that a bbk will affect the wheel offset.

It's probably best to get it confirmed from Alcon whether their particular kit does or doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I asked Apex (since it's their wheel I'm buying) and they said any brake rotor must not affect the fit of hub centric ring. I assume their point was that this means the rotor must therefore have the same thickness as stock.
      07-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
I asked Apex (since it's their wheel I'm buying) and they said any brake rotor must not affect the fit of hub centric ring. I assume their point was that this means the rotor must therefore have the same thickness as stock.
Rotor hats do vary in thickness.

It will be under 2mm variation over all manufacturers, but you said in the original post that this will matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
Rotor hats do vary in thickness.

It will be under 2mm variation over all manufacturers, but you said in the original post that this will matter.
+1 the rotor hat is the only thing that could affect the offset. I thought the hat thickness would be the same for all manufacturers but a 2mm variance makes sense.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know the thickness of the OEM front rotor hat?

Or where would I find this info?