BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

06-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
dkosawa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 LMB E92

No more water spots

Even though I live in an area where the city water isn't very "hard", i always end up with water spots after washing my LMB M3. To minimize spots I would use the water sheeting technique, using water to remove as much water before drying. I used expensive microfiber towels to dry whatever water was left. Still ended up with water marks. So I thought I wasn't drying fast enough...ok, so I started using a leaf blower. This in conjunction with having an opticoat coating helped drastically, but it wasn't perfect. I still would have a few water spots.

Recently I came across a post that described a method of retrofitting a shower water filter to a garden hose. It seemed cheap and easy enough, so I gave it a try. I attached it to my pressure washer this last weekend, and to my amazement it worked. I didn't notice any reduction in water pressure, and like I said it worked -- no water spots!

I can't wait to try it again this weekend to verify it wasn't a fluke.

Here's a link to the original post that describes the installation of the shower filter. I also included some pics of my setup.

http://www.mnmazda.com/forum/showthr...-water-spots!)

06-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Such a great post. I thought about doing the same thing for a while now just never got around to it. I will definitely buy a filter now
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW TDi & BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 VW Jetta TDI  [0.00]
Dude this is brilliant! I've been scratching my head trying to figure a way out to get better water out of the garden hose without spending a fortune. My car will be the same color as yours and I live in a city with very hard water, this method will be a life savor, thank you!
      06-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Let us know how it works after a few washes. I use the CR Spotless DIC-20 and it is amazing yet expensive to operate.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
dkosawa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Let us know how it works after a few washes. I use the CR Spotless DIC-20 and it is amazing yet expensive to operate.
Sure, no problem.
      06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
creative to say the least
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

That is a great idea!! Why didn't anyone figure this out sooner? Beats using the expensive car wash water filters.
      06-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

Creative is right but I would like to see how long these filters last and how much they cost.

My CR SPotless refills are about $75.00 and I can get a little over 20 washes out of the system before needing to purchase another refill.

I could probably get more washes out of it if only washing a compact car but I use it for my full size truck and mini-van as well as my E90.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

It is actually surprising this doesn't reduce water pressure. Those small filters are designed for shower heads moving 2.5 GPM... not a garden hose which can flow at least 10x as much water.
      06-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking, a few washes will be the test as the filter gets used. It still might be cheaper to replace with a shower filter every few washes instead of the more expensive reverse osmosis/cartridge filter systems. I've been wanting to buy one of the cr spotless products but am hesitant due to the frequency of cartridge changes and the fact that the unit can get moldy if not emptied/kept in the right environment.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
dkosawa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It is actually surprising this doesn't reduce water pressure. Those small filters are designed for shower heads moving 2.5 GPM... not a garden hose which can flow at least 10x as much water.
I must not notice it because my cheapo electric pressure washer only does 1.5GPM. I took a video of myself washing my car this afternoon. I'll make it available here shortly so you can see what kind of throughput i'm getting out of it.
      06-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

The CR SPotless is amazing and if you wash your cars weekly I don't see you with a mold problem. The mold issue is only if you use it once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanE92 View Post
Thats what I was thinking, a few washes will be the test as the filter gets used. It still might be cheaper to replace with a shower filter every few washes instead of the more expensive reverse osmosis/cartridge filter systems. I've been wanting to buy one of the cr spotless products but am hesitant due to the frequency of cartridge changes and the fact that the unit can get moldy if not emptied/kept in the right environment.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Seriously.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
dkosawa
Private
Rep

So today I received the foam cannon (MTM Gen2) that I purchased from Chemical Guys, and couldn't resist giving it a try. I decided to take a video of my first experience with it. As for the water spots, well, still no water spots!!

It will be interesting to see how long the filter lasts.

Here's today's video of me washing my car using the MTM Gen2 foam cannon for the first time:

06-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 BMW M3 MR/21 X7 40i AW

That is money!!! Thanks for making the video as well. Will def have to look into.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I'd want a TDS reading after each use to see how the filter is lasting. With as much wash water is used each time, I have a hard time believing that this will wash a car more than one or two times without seeing an appreciable degradation of the filtering ability.

I looked at a ton of options before finally doing a full two stage setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

+1 on TDS readings.

A TDS meter can be purchased pretty cheap on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'd want a TDS reading after each use to see how the filter is lasting. With as much wash water is used each time, I have a hard time believing that this will wash a car more than one or two times without seeing an appreciable degradation of the filtering ability.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
dkosawa
Private
Rep

Quote:
+1 on TDS readings.

A TDS meter can be purchased pretty cheap on eBay.
Ok...just bought one online. I'll update you guys with the results sometime next week.
      06-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post

Agree. These Filters have been out for a few years now but mostly used commercially due to refill costs. Not to mention their large physical filter size for that reason alone. The first few washes will be nice. Just enough to convince you to do a small write up on the forum somewhere and provide great mouth to mouth advertisement. Keep up posted on number of washes before a refill is due. Until then. Stay clean
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Nice wash..

I always spray on a coat of foam, let it fizz a few minutes, spray it off, and apply another coat of foam. I then two bucket wash with the second coat of foam on the car. I just fill the soap bucket with foam from the cannon. I use Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II and it seems about the same foaminess.

I was given this method by the owner of Peach State Detail who did my paint correction. Works really well. I have not had water spotting issues since having Opticoat pro applied.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
dkosawa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Nice wash..

I always spray on a coat of foam, let it fizz a few minutes, spray it off, and apply another coat of foam. I then two bucket wash with the second coat of foam on the car. I just fill the soap bucket with foam from the cannon. I use Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II and it seems about the same foaminess.

I was given this method by the owner of Peach State Detail who did my paint correction. Works really well. I have not had water spotting issues since having Opticoat pro applied.
Thx, and your process definitely seems legit, but one of the reasons that I bought the foam cannon was to reduce the amount of time that I spend washing my car.

Have you ever tried Adam's wash in your foam cannon?

I'm going to give it a try...my hope is that it will foam just as well, but hopefully add more lubricity. I couldn't help but think I was scratching my clearcoat during that last wash with the CG Honey Dew foam from the cannon. I could feel a little bit of friction when washing with the wash mit, something that i've never felt when using the two bucket system with Adams soap. If switching to Adam's soap doesn't end up working, I might have to try your method.