BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #23
m3pete
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Hi Brian,
Hope this is not a serious problem. BTW, how was your track day? I couldn't make it but will be at Thill with NCRC on Sept 26.

2011 F25 X3 35i, AW
2008 E90M3 AW, bone stock (Sold)
2002 M Coupe TS, GC S/A coil overs, PF05 pads, Toyo RA1
1998 M3/4 AW sold
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #24
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
dont launch your car for a while

seriously your going to go to the dealership and say your car isnt launching porperly Launching puts stress on your clutch, tranny,diff and subframe. the E46 M3s subframe didnt last long. i wonder how long the E9Xs will
I wish I could be there when people tell the dealer "I abuse my car daily and now it's broke. What do you mean you won't fix it for free?". Someone please let me know when you do this so I can see the look on your face. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

Why should he stress about losing warranty on a feature that is built by the manufacturer of the car and has a featured limit to avoid damaging the tranny and clutches? Go to the dealer and tell him that it is faulty and they should log a software fault with BMW germany. The number of faults with DCT that is being posted is unacceptable. Are they using customers as test drivers now coz of the global recession and cant afford to pay salaries? or did they rush the system to the market to garner sales and hope to get a cheap software fix in the months to follow? Bad business tactic IMHO, since it puts litigious doubt in any customer who has a non working car.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #26
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3pete View Post
Hi Brian,
Hope this is not a serious problem. BTW, how was your track day? I couldn't make it but will be at Thill with NCRC on Sept 26.
Pete
Heres my review of my 1st trackday in the M3!!!!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170802
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #27
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Why should he stress about losing warranty on a feature that is built by the manufacturer of the car and has a featured limit to avoid damaging the tranny and clutches? Go to the dealer and tell him that it is faulty and they should log a software fault with BMW germany. The number of faults with DCT that is being posted is unacceptable. Are they using customers as test drivers now coz of the global recession and cant afford to pay salaries? or did they rush the system to the market to garner sales and hope to get a cheap software fix in the months to follow? Bad business tactic IMHO, since it puts litigious doubt in any customer who has a non working car.
Glad to see someone gets it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #28
trumanhw
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

HOW could ANY manufacture claim you drove their sports car "too sportly" ? Fuck them. What costs a lot in the car? The emblem, technology, and the capacity to do work (yeah, refinement too). A 4 liter engine isn't exactly a lot more material or production to create - yet they charge us double what a 335 cost; I think that entitles us to USE the vehicler PER it's design. It IS marketed that way. I told my dealer when I signed the lease that the money factor was a little obnoxious, but wtf, I want it - it's here, done. HOWEVER, "I pity the fool who gets this next, I WILL get my money's worth." He said, "don't say that to me..." And I said, "I JUST DID! Do you wanna do the transaction or not?" You CANT market something and then disclaim the use of it in the capacity it was marketed at. It's blatantly hypocritical.

Now - the reason I'm actually reading this; I put mine in S6, turn of DSC, stop, foot on brake, press button fwd, and 20 later - NOTHING lights up. I really was tenacious. I'm tired, so it's possible I overlooked something - but doubtful. Is there anything that would eliminate it from accessibility? I'm perplexed. Reset?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #29
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumanhw View Post
HOW could ANY manufacture claim you drove their sports car "too sportly" ? Fuck them. What costs a lot in the car? The emblem, technology, and the capacity to do work (yeah, refinement too). A 4 liter engine isn't exactly a lot more material or production to create - yet they charge us double what a 335 cost; I think that entitles us to USE the vehicler PER it's design. It IS marketed that way. I told my dealer when I signed the lease that the money factor was a little obnoxious, but wtf, I want it - it's here, done. HOWEVER, "I pity the fool who gets this next, I WILL get my money's worth." He said, "don't say that to me..." And I said, "I JUST DID! Do you wanna do the transaction or not?" You CANT market something and then disclaim the use of it in the capacity it was marketed at. It's blatantly hypocritical.

Now - the reason I'm actually reading this; I put mine in S6, turn of DSC, stop, foot on brake, press button fwd, and 20 later - NOTHING lights up. I really was tenacious. I'm tired, so it's possible I overlooked something - but doubtful. Is there anything that would eliminate it from accessibility? I'm perplexed. Reset?
How many miles on the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #30
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
Okay so I bought the dynolicious program for my Iphone and took it out for some tests today....

My LC has always hit the limiter at the top of 1st gear....every single time I have used it??

But today LC was all screwed up.....way too much burnout followed by an odd cutback of power then a HUGE rev limiter hit (1 second or more) at the top of 1st gear......

I try another run and it does the same thing, but about 1/s way through 2nd gear it cuts out and I get a transmission overheat warning....so the car is stuck at maybe 20% throttle in 2nd gear at 30mph for a little while.....all the transmission controls would not work...I could not change gears at all.....

So what do I do....take it to the dealer......but how do I tell them without voiding my warranty???

The odd cutback in power you felt was probably due to axle hop.

I was recently at the BMW LA track school at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. While there I had a chance to use LC quite a bit and made a couple observations.

If I launched my car in the stiffer of the EDC settings, it would buck and cut power very quickly. Initially I thought the car broke. I tried this two times with the same results. I then tried the same launch with my EDC in the softest setting, allowing the car to transfer weight to the back wheels and enhance traction, and had a perfect launch. I did this a couple more times with perfect results.

Accompanying the power cut and bucking with the EDC set firm, the car would not shift to 2nd. The car never did anything strange and the LC was quickly reactivated after each launch. I did let the car cool a little, but not 20 minutes.

Moral of the story, I doubt your car has a fault. I bet the traction you had was patchy, the axles started to jump around and the car tried to save itself from tearing itself apart. I would imagine this could happen in any of the EDC settings depending on actual traction. However, I know for sure from now on when I use LC, I will certainly be in the softest EDC setting.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #31
trumanhw
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Yup - I get it. Gotta get passed the break-in. 1200 mile check up... thank you.

Oh - and re: soft EDC, I think that is EXTREMELY good advice, and not something I'd have likely discovered without your keen observation. SINCERELY, thank you. I think I would have falsely assumed opposite for a while without realizing it .. but, as Im still sub 1200 miles, I can't even speculate as to what my ass-ometer would have thought and I don't want to offend that highly refined organ. But still, honestly, GREAT insight - warrants being in a sticky section.

Last edited by trumanhw; 10-16-2008 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0