BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

10-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Claiming maintenance costs on US cars from BMW NA?

I took my car to a dealer for a software update recall, and got a call back saying that they recommend me to replace spark plugs and diff fluid, which according to them is due at 40K (I'm at 34K). The rep also mentioned that two of his clients were able to claim maintenance costs back from BMW NA - just mailed/faxed invoices and eventually got reimbursement. This was the first time I heard it - does anybody know anything about it? If that's true, that can be a great thing for US car owners.

Also, if I was a Canadian dealer I would not advertise that - it makes it even more beneficial to get car from the US.

I'm wondering if it's true and what's the success rate with this.

I am not very optimistic because the rest of the info from the service adviser was just bizarre. She told me I needed to replace brake pads, but my pads had well over 50% left on them - I just put them on recently. When I mentioned that, she said that my sensors were damaged (which is true) and pads do not have enough material for new sensors to be calibrated , so the mechanic cannot reset the brake warning light unless they replace pads and rotors. From what I know this is not true as sensors do not need to be calibrated to pads, but they should be better informed then I am... Anyway, I did not want to get another set of OEM pads that I would not use anyway, so I told them I am considering getting a BBK and took my car back.

They also were not able to do a DCT software upgrade on the first try and refused to try again because there is another upgrade coming in a few weeks, so there is no reason to push it this time. Again, not sure how accurate this info is.

So my car spent two days in the shop for nothing - they could not even reset the brake lights without making me spend $3K for something I do not need (pads, rotors, sensors, labor and tax).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Which dealer was this??
I have just over 60K on my car and I have changed the diff fluid on my own, but I doubt BMW recs to change either the diff fluid nor the spark plugs at your low mileage.
      10-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
GMW
Dolphin 38
Canada
Rep
Drives: a Submarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Which dealer was this??
I have just over 60K on my car and I have changed the diff fluid on my own, but I doubt BMW recs to change either the diff fluid nor the spark plugs at your low mileage.
Agreed

Also, your 4 year factory warranty is applicable in Canada
i.e you're covered.

The only thing that doesn't get covered is free maintenance and road side assistance/BMW assist.

Have you been paying for warranty repairs????????
ouch buddy
11' e92 M3 - new owner
10' S1000RR - miss it every day / 09' K1300S - miss it most of all.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Actually, my service light came on @ about 45k, turns out I was due for the things he mentioned.

Also, this is not the first time I heard that you can claim maintenance cost from BMWNA. A lot of the E90 guys have had success doing that.

You can reset your brake light via control stock method(it's really simple) Though, I should add, if you have damaged sensors, it'll keep coming back on unless you replace it or cut it completely(member JuniorM3 has a DIY for this). I did the DIY recently, and got rid of the light.
      10-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

No, no - I am not paying for warranty stuff or recalls. They do it all for free plus free loaners, so nothing to complain about warranty-wise. But maintenance (e.g., brakes, fluids, spark plugs etc) is not covered in Canada. I thought it was strange that they wanted to change spark plugs & diff fluid at such low mileage (34,000 km, not miles!) but they said it was due at 40K and they can do it in advance. Almost as if they were trying to hit some kind of sales quota. Replacing pads to reset sensors sounds like BS to me. It was at BMW Toronto - I usually have good experience with them.

I will search E90 forum about claiming maintenance items back. I will try the DIY Ben mentioned - thanks for the idea!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
hpannu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
I will search E90 forum about claiming maintenance items back. I will try the DIY Ben mentioned - thanks for the idea!
If you find out any info in this regard, please pass it back to me
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

There's been quite a few posts recently about DCT software updates. Does anyone have more specific information as to what it's aiming to improve and from what build date onwards it would apply to? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I've never hear of people getting reimbursed, but I do know that if you take a US car back to the US, you can get the US covered maintenance done for free at a US dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
hpannu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Man View Post
I've never hear of people getting reimbursed, but I do know that if you take a US car back to the US, you can get the US covered maintenance done for free at a US dealer.

Are you sure?????
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Yup, call the closest dealer over the boarder and set up an appointment!
      10-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
No, no - I am not paying for warranty stuff or recalls. They do it all for free plus free loaners, so nothing to complain about warranty-wise. But maintenance (e.g., brakes, fluids, spark plugs etc) is not covered in Canada. I thought it was strange that they wanted to change spark plugs & diff fluid at such low mileage (34,000 km, not miles!) but they said it was due at 40K and they can do it in advance. Almost as if they were trying to hit some kind of sales quota. Replacing pads to reset sensors sounds like BS to me. It was at BMW Toronto - I usually have good experience with them.

I am sitting at that mileage as well and was recommended by my dealer for all those items listed above!
Who do you deal with at BMW Toronto? PM me I can get you in touch with my SA who I know personally for almost a decade, he might be able to help you out with your maintenance issue.
Cheers
Appreciate 0