BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #177
Overlord73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

I've never been very interested in any of these "Boutique Wheel" brands they look good in the magazine advertisements and online but as the stories come out of the woodwork the most important component; the build quality of these wheels is lacking. It's all outsourced manufacturing and their engineering is well somewhat nonexistant.

I don't even have my E92 M3 yet (trying to get my 2013 ordered now) but I jumped on the chance to order a set of Work Brombachers last summer when they were available limited time in the proper bolt pattern. For me It's either Japanese or BBS because I know the quality is there. Not judging but obviously some guys are trying to be baller and 1 up everybody else and really get drawn in by the facade of elitism that these "Boutique Wheel" brands seem to offer. But at the end of the day, you paid a premium for a low quality product.

Seriously if you are going to spend the big bucks, what's more baller than a set of BBS F1s?? Just my opinion of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #178
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
seriously you can barely compose a sentence that makes sense....
just go away your opinion is not warranted here.
Maybe you don't like my opinion but I have ordered many sets of forged wheels and know who makes probably everybody's wheels.

I have studied manufacturing facilities from videos like HRE posts and from pictures other companies post to see how their manufacturing process differs from each other. I know who the 2 main forging suppliers are and the different processes that they use to make a forging.

I also try to back my opinions up with facts so even if nobody wants my opinion that does not make false.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #179
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
Maybe you don't like my opinion but I have ordered many sets of forged wheels and know who makes probably everybody's wheels.

I have studied manufacturing facilities from videos like HRE posts and from pictures other companies post to see how their manufacturing process differs from each other. I know who the 2 main forging suppliers are and the different processes that they use to make a forging.

I also try to back my opinions up with facts so even if nobody wants my opinion that does not make false.

08-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #180
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
What are your panties in a bunch about now. Because I am right look another wheel company flushed out of the woodwork. Prove me wrong find 10 customers from any forged wheel company who had a smooth transactions. Besides HRE or BBS
Not exactly sure what you're saying in the first half of your post, but the people here who bought the RAC wheel had a very smooth transaction.

Ralph and Chuck have been stand up guys for many years now.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #181
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Quote:
I am not going to argue with you. Because when you argue with stupid people they just bring you down and beat you with experience. Just to clarify your the idiot or stupid person in that statement.

So pinhead what wheels do you have on your vehicles or have you purchased new in the past? If you have actually purchased wheels how was your buying experience?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #182
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
I am not going to argue with you. Because when you argue with stupid people they just bring you down and beat you with experience. Just to clarify your the idiot or stupid person in that statement.
huh???
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #183
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

Quote:

So pinhead what wheels do you have on your vehicles or have you purchased new in the past? If you have actually purchased wheels how was your buying experience?
you're an idiot
stop trying to change the subject and get lost
      08-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #184
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

The grammar of some of these posts is horrific,, lol..carry on gents.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #185
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Amen!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #186
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
you're an idiot
stop trying to change the subject and get lost
Sorry db71,
I don't want to be mean or jerk, but i have to adree with pinhead on this one.
I think u r an idiot. Just don't try to argue. Get lost.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #187
Halitosis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Delivery van

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
This is why I would never go for anything but a monoblock wheel, regardless of who makes it..wheels have no business being assembled in "pieces"

Honestly that quality looks awful though..a failure waiting to happen
Worked well for race teams (and street wheels) for decades and still do to this day. A properly designed, engineered, and assembled modular wheel will have no problem taking a good beating on the road or on the track. A big plus with modular wheels is that they are truly custom. Want wider? Change out the wheel halves. Bent the outer barrel? Change out the outer barrel.

I may be biased but no monoblock makes me more horny than a beautifully designed modular wheel. It's what separates the Tags from the Patek Philippes. Nothing defines classic good looks than a well-designed 3pc. wheel!

Last edited by Halitosis; 08-18-2012 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #188
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
The grammar of some of these posts is horrific,, lol..carry on gents.
Edumacation
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #189
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

Another example of an ADV1 failure.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...-question.html
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #190
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

That made my weekend. I love how everyone was congratulating the OP for a hideous looking set of wheels before it went quickly downhill.

Quote:
ADV1 already contacted me with this problem and told me to go to a local shop....They said it shouldnt be a big deal though

[The tire shop] said the wheel was leaking at pretty much every single bolt, over 20 spots.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #191
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord73
I've never been very interested in any of these "Boutique Wheel" brands they look good in the magazine advertisements and online but as the stories come out of the woodwork the most important component; the build quality of these wheels is lacking. It's all outsourced manufacturing and their engineering is well somewhat nonexistant.

I don't even have my E92 M3 yet (trying to get my 2013 ordered now) but I jumped on the chance to order a set of Work Brombachers last summer when they were available limited time in the proper bolt pattern. For me It's either Japanese or BBS because I know the quality is there. Not judging but obviously some guys are trying to be baller and 1 up everybody else and really get drawn in by the facade of elitism that these "Boutique Wheel" brands seem to offer. But at the end of the day, you paid a premium for a low quality product.

Seriously if you are going to spend the big bucks, what's more baller than a set of BBS F1s?? Just my opinion of course.
Word. I love BBS FI. The only bad thing is paying $7,900 for a set, plus tires that equals around $9,500. :-/
- Upgrades:MS Stage 2 Intake + Turner Test Pipes + BPM Stage 2 Tune with Coding; Fox Red Novillo/Carbon Leather/Competition Package/Premium Package 2/Convenience Package /Enhanced Premium Sound/Satelite Radio
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #192
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord73 View Post

Um baller status is not always the best wheel. Fact. I hate BBS and would never run them unless I had a true race car. They just have never looked right to me on any of my street cars. HRE and Volk or go home. Just my opinion. I dont even look twice at BBS wheels on these cars. Too stock looking for my tastes. On full race cars, yes.

Last edited by Endless619; 08-26-2012 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #193
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Have you ever been to the HRE facility in Vista California and actually checked them out in person? Videos really don't show much at all, just saying. Get out and check out the facilities.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #194
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Um baller status is not always the best wheel. Fact. I hate BBS and would never run them unless I had a true race car. They just have never looked right to me on any of my street cars. HRE and Volk or go home. Just my opinion. I dont even look twice at BBS wheels on these cars. Too stock looking for my tastes.
Honestly Chris, HRE sells the same baller wannabe lifestyle facade than ADV and the other shoddy wheel manufacturers. The Swiss flag on the logo to invoke quality when the company has nothing to do with Switzerland for one is super lame; just like Vorsteiner's authenticity/labels in German when the company has nothing to do with Germany.

I will agree that HRE is of MUCH higher quality than ADV and co. They do have engineering in addition to marketing... But talk to people who actually own them. Not the promo or the sponsored dudes. The real owners, who paid, who drive their cars etc. You may find their stories paint a different picture.. whether it's finish or structural.

Allegedly they have made a good deal of improvement lately but I'm not gonna take a gamble with my hard earned money.

To me it's BBS or Rays. Everything else is second with high price tags for lower quality (not to mention the baller /jet set lifestyle image they represent. Sorry but I'm not putting that shit on my car )
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #195
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Honestly Chris, HRE sells the same baller wannabe lifestyle facade than ADV and the other shoddy wheel manufacturers. The Swiss flag on the logo to invoke quality when the company has nothing to do with Switzerland for one is super lame; just like Vorsteiner's authenticity/labels in German when the company has nothing to do with Germany.

I will agree that HRE is of MUCH higher quality than ADV and co. They do have engineering in addition to marketing... But talk to people who actually own them. Not the promo or the sponsored dudes. The real owners, who paid, who drive their cars etc. You may find their stories paint a different picture.. whether it's finish or structural.

Allegedly they have made a good deal of improvement lately but I'm not gonna take a gamble with my hard earned money.

To me it's BBS or Rays. Everything else is second with high price tags for lower quality (not to mention the baller /jet set lifestyle image they represent. Sorry but I'm not putting that shit on my car )
I agree with BBS, RAYS, ADVAN being the wheels to have, and used to think EXACTLY as you do about HRE, but they're at least TUV certified now.
It counts for something.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #196
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:

I agree with BBS, RAYS, ADVAN being the wheels to have, and used to think EXACTLY as you do about HRE, but they're at least TUV certified now.
It counts for something.
+1 BBS, Rays Eng, Advan for the win!
- Upgrades:MS Stage 2 Intake + Turner Test Pipes + BPM Stage 2 Tune with Coding; Fox Red Novillo/Carbon Leather/Competition Package/Premium Package 2/Convenience Package /Enhanced Premium Sound/Satelite Radio
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #197
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Kevin,

I am a former owner of 2 sets on my old M3. $5k plus a set and never had any issues. Now SSR on the other hand bent easily and so did a set of my Volk TE37s just from freeway use but that can happen with any wheel.

Just not a fan of BBS on street cars. Race cars, yes!

Last edited by Endless619; 08-27-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #198
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Kevin,

I am a former owner of 2 sets on my old M3. $5k plus a set and never had any issues. Now SSR on the other hand bent easily and so did a set of my Volk TE37s just from freeway use but that can happen with any wheel.

Just not a fan of BBS on street cars. Race cars, yes!

I want to see more pics of your mag blues
Appreciate 0