BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

back to back, 2013 coupe vs 2008 sedan

So my father ordered one of the last coupes made as per my recommendation.

I have been driving my 2008 (completely stock) E90 m3 for a little over 3 years and only have 30k miles still on my car.

His car finally had enough miles for a proper flogging and here are my thoughtsÑ

1) Tranny, they are both 6spd (the only tranny IMO but that is another topic) and his is MUCH smoother. Not just 1-2, but the whole H pattern seems like syncros are different...surprised you don't hear more about this

2) Power, his car is stronger than mine. i THOUGHT i had the dealer update me to 240 software...but they must not have. His car is more eager to rev, feels stronger part throttle and just plainly feels angrier...my wife agrees and she is just the passenger. The 2013 coupe from a start is just nasty and revs quicker than my sedan...I WANT MY SEDAN LIKE THIS

3) Intake noise...his is a little more angry again...this must be the diff between the earlier cars charcoal filter and the later freer flowing one. YES i can hear and feel the diff between the two. I guess an AA green filter would solve my problem.

4) THis is minor but the leather on the steering wheel feels upgraded vs mine

5) His car starts/pulses with vigor...my car takes a little longer these days. Maybe i should get a new battery.

So overall...VERY nice. So nice i started searching for leftover coupes for sale across the country. But the 25-30k premium over what my sedans probably worth does;t make sense.

So how do i get my car more like his...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

If you are out of your warrnety, theres zero reason why you shouldn't get a better after market tune done. That alone will make the car feel better IMO.

he has a newer updated tranny, i don't think you can make it feel as good in that way. but everything else can be done.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
If you are out of your warrnety, theres zero reason why you shouldn't get a better after market tune done. That alone will make the car feel better IMO.

he has a newer updated tranny, i don't think you can make it feel as good in that way. but everything else can be done.
but what happens when over the winter, some cold morning the car throws some codes, or decides to act funny. (which its done before but it goes away)

i take it to the dealer to diagnose...and they plug it into the computer. then the nitwit service writer calls me and says i don;t have factory software and in order for them to fix, i have to pay to load stock software back on there. :roll eyes:

Right

I guess part of my reluctancy to go aftermarket software is i don;t want to lose the option to take the car to dealer for service.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Easy. Contact Alex @ Alpine and he can get all your OEM software up to date at a very good price. Your car will liven up. No problem with dealers.

Several threads on here about his services and reviews.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

I need to get a tune myself... Would it matter if I got the tune before the Test pipes?
      09-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post
but what happens when over the winter, some cold morning the car throws some codes, or decides to act funny. (which its done before but it goes away)

i take it to the dealer to diagnose...and they plug it into the computer. then the nitwit service writer calls me and says i don;t have factory software and in order for them to fix, i have to pay to load stock software back on there. :roll eyes:

Right

I guess part of my reluctancy to go aftermarket software is i don;t want to lose the option to take the car to dealer for service.
All i am going to say is this, you are wrong on some points as i can tell you really don't understand what a tune is. It has nothing to do with reading codes, anyone can read a code and tell you whats wrong.

You want your car to run better than your dads? or stick with BMWs "ok" updates?

Just PM a tuning guy on here with some questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
I need to get a tune myself... Would it matter if I got the tune before the Test pipes?
You would need to update the tune if you are adding test pipes. Since they dramatically change air flow.

so yes it matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
I understand this often happens as a model goes through its cycle..... continual minor tweaks and improvements.

Sounds like a tune is your best value at this point... Unless you might want to swap your car for the new F80 in the not-so-distant future.
      09-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
bmwmmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

Change trans fluid and get a tune and you're set.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:

1) Tranny, they are both 6spd (the only tranny IMO but that is another topic) and his is MUCH smoother. Not just 1-2, but the whole H pattern seems like syncros are different...surprised you don't hear more about this
I have the 08-E90-6MT also and this is my only complaint against the 08s. I am particularly unhappy about the 1-2 shift and complained vigorously to 3 different SAs while the car was still under dealer warranty only to be told that "it's perfectly normal".

If somebody could figure out how to smooth out the 6-speed for a couple thousand I would be thrilled. It's the only thing preventing this car from being the absolutely perfect driving machine.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear
Quote:

I have the 08-E90-6MT also and this is my only complaint against the 08s. I am particularly unhappy about the 1-2 shift and complained vigorously to 3 different SAs while the car was still under dealer warranty only to be told that "it's perfectly normal".

If somebody could figure out how to smooth out the 6-speed for a couple thousand I would be thrilled. It's the only thing preventing this car from being the absolutely perfect driving machine.
I agree with OP. My 2013 does not have any noticeable 1-2 issue at all. It does not clunk or make any strange noises either. It is even better than my E46 M3 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Ok thanks so ill work on the test pipes first.
      09-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack
What Ezio said is NOT correct. You can run a stage 2 tune without test pipes. Just make sure you use 93 gas.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #14
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

sounds like you need a good service spark plugs, all fluids, performance air filter, dme updates and rest all adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

ZHP shifter should smooth out the shifts.
To my understanding, if redline and top speed are not increased, BPM tune should not be detected.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
sounds like you need a good service spark plugs, all fluids, performance air filter, dme updates and rest all adaptations.
I did the 30k service last summer (only 2500 miles ago)
Which included new plugs.

The Zhp knob is sort of cheating. There is a def synchro diff going on.

Plus I had a Zhp 330, and I'd feel like I'm going backwards!

Hahaha.

Thanks guys. Yeah I will give bpm a call I guess.
Appreciate 0