BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: daily moped

Will quad resonated x pipe make drone worse?

Hi guys, I have MXP rear section right now and the drone is pretty significant around 2k rpm, at least for me.

Would adding a quad resonated x pipe make it better or worse? I've heard both but more are saying it'd be worse. Would x pipe open up the muffled flow and decrease drone a little?

Please help. I'm getting back in town Thursday night and is planning to get the x pipe possibly Friday morning, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

a little. put a secondary cat like 200 cel.... doesnt make much difference to have it off anyways... its just freakin loud without it... also since your in SOCAL... MXP with no cat and just all resonator... your car will be insanely loud... abnoxious...

EDIT: sounds like you only have a axle back MXP with OEM xpipe...

replacing it will make it worst... MUCH WORST... AND YOU WILL PROBABLY GET PULLED OVER AND OVER AND OVER... lol
      02-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Not sure if serious.....

Yes an aftermarket catless x pipe will be louder and drone more than a stock x pipe....
      02-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. What about keeping the OEM cats. But just replacing OEM x pipe with after market quad resonated x pipe?

Still be worse? :/
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Less drone = oem or new muffler
      02-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla bruin View Post
Thanks guys. What about keeping the OEM cats. But just replacing OEM x pipe with after market quad resonated x pipe?

Still be worse? :/
the problem is not the xpipe its the exhaust....

this is the reason why i got the Akrapovic... even with no cats its not as crazy as other exhaust...

although there are other axle back exhaust that give less drone... but just an fyi.... most do have drone... the only one i can think of is the AKRA that give the least drone with or without xpipe... even a full GT4 xpipe...
      02-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

X pipe will make it louder and add more drone. The problem here is the exhaust.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Which brings me to another question: does anyone have experience with both Vanguard rear section and MXP rear section?

I like the MXP tone but the drone volume just pushes it over the top a little. Does Vanguard drone less?

Thanks in advance. Please accept this pic of beer I just had earlier as form of appreciation.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

hehe, obviously he didn't believe the exhaust slut.

the MXP is pretty mild but does have a slight boominess at 2000 rpm. It's not really a drone, since this exhaust is very quiet at freeway or cruising speeds. It's the low rpm bass that most aftermarket exhausts make.

If you don't like it, the Eisenmann Sport, the Corsa, or the Akrapovic are the exhausts I'd look at. You already have 2 sets of cats and 2 resonators, nothing aftermarket is going to be quieter. The Innotech is also very nice in this regard, because while open it drones like CRAZY, with the valves closed, it's very quiet.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Haha thanks man. Not that I didn't believe you, it's just I'm having trouble deciding whether to go x pipe or try Vanguard or do nothing for now.

Sounds like Vanguard is not that much better than MXP in terms of the boominess?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Get a tune to get rid of the start up emissions cycle. It's what causes all that "drone" in the morning. It's pretty loud with the Akra too until the car warms up.

You could also get an exhaust shop to weld in some Heimholtz chambers for around $200 I'd it's really drone you hear while cruising that's bothering you.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Like AA's exhaust with the chambers? Does AA have less boom than mxp?

I tried searching but I was hoping someone had a comparison of AA, MXP, and Vanguard rear section in terms of boom/drone.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 02-09-2012 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla bruin

I tried searching but I was hoping someone had a comparison of AA, MXP, and Vanguard rear section in terms of boom/drone.
Had AA rear only for 3k miles, drone from 1500 to 2000. Think the loudest drone is at around 2000.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes, just like the AA units. They don't have to be next to the cans. They can be anywhere along the exhaust path. AFE even has a small one on their N55 downpipe.

Is the boom you're talking about when the engine's cold or while cruising?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Get a tune to get rid of the start up emissions cycle. It's what causes all that "drone" in the morning. It's pretty loud with the Akra too until the car warms up.
You don't want to do this with the stock cats in place.

Quote:
You could also get an exhaust shop to weld in some Heimholtz chambers for around $200 I'd it's really drone you hear while cruising that's bothering you.
this won't help at all, with the 2000 rpm boominess. Remember, the MXP doesn't have any drone at all (it's very quiet under steady state throttle) it's the transient throttle at 2000 rpm that is a little apparent. I actually think the MXP is pretty good in this regard, compared to many others.

If this level of noise bothers you, here are your choices:
- Dinan
- Corsa
- Eisenmann Sport (although even it has a bit)
- BMW Performance
- Innotech

Nothing else is going to be quiet enough. (I haven't tried the Bastruck or Remus Sport, or supersprint, but I'm up to 23 other combinations of exhausts)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Pretty sure the Dinan X pipe is quad resonated and it doesn't drone... I've heard nothing but good things. It is also fully catless.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
You don't want to do this with the stock cats in place.

this won't help at all, with the 2000 rpm boominess. Remember, the MXP doesn't have any drone at all (it's very quiet under steady state throttle) it's the transient throttle at 2000 rpm that is a little apparent. I actually think the MXP is pretty good in this regard, compared to many others.

If this level of noise bothers you, here are your choices:
- Dinan
- Corsa
- Eisenmann Sport (although even it has a bit)
- BMW Performance
- Innotech

Nothing else is going to be quiet enough. (I haven't tried the Bastruck or Remus Sport, or supersprint, but I'm up to 23 other combinations of exhausts)
Why wouldn't you want to tune out the start up heat cycle even if you have the stock X-pipe?
And if you tune this out, it will help with the 2000 RPM boominess when the engine's cold. The Akra is damn loud when the engines cold, but fine once it warms up at 2000 RPM.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The mainly concern for me is like kitw said, the 2k rpm boom during shift and accel. Start up is definitely loud too. If that can be helped, it'd be an added bonus but primarily it's during driving the boom that bothers me.

The other quieter exhausts sound good but I think it's a little too quiet for me. Give and take relationship, I guess.

Sounds like maybe an option is to do a custom x pipe with the chambers? I don't want to modify MXP or stock parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Pretty sure the Dinan X pipe is quad resonated and it doesn't drone... I've heard nothing but good things. It is also fully catless.
I would just do this and have the dealer flash the car with the Dinan software to remove the cel.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I just got mine tuned by AA and bye bye nasty cold starts, she's very quiet and smooth when idling cold.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why wouldn't you want to tune out the start up heat cycle even if you have the stock X-pipe?
And if you tune this out, it will help with the 2000 RPM boominess when the engine's cold. The Akra is damn loud when the engines cold, but fine once it warms up at 2000 RPM.

You want the cats to heat up fast. They won't work and won't last as long if they don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The other quieter exhausts sound good but I think it's a little too quiet for me. Give and take relationship, I guess.
Get an Innotech. Close it when you are wanting to drive around quietly, open the valve when you want to rip around. You can't have it both ways... unless you go with an exhaust with a valve somewhere. (I haven't heard Evolve's system yet)
Appreciate 0