BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #837
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

The best looking Toyobaru I've ever seen...

Greddy X Rocket Bunny kit, custom BBS E88 rims, Toyo slicks, Cusco/Safety 21 roll bar, Recaro bucket seats, Grazio taillights, and a slew of other JDM goodies. The color is a custom green - special blend green paint from BASF:

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #838
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Official TRD Supercharger Slated For Spring 2013

Earlier this summer, Toyota invited a number of tuners to the Torrance, CA, headquarters to weigh and measure the all new Scion FR-S ahead of its official release. With aftermarket heavy hitters AEM, DC Sports, Whiteline, and ACT armed with experienced technicians as well as state-of-the-art tools including an engine bay 3D digital scanner, car enthusiasts discovered that the Scion FR-S was a very tuner-friendly machine despite the small engine and small engine compartment.

Some components including aftermarket suspension and exhaust were just a Subaru compatible test-fit away. However, power-multiplying superchargers and turbochargers were expected to take longer to get right.

Finally, Scion and Toyota in-house performance tuner Toyota Racing Development (TRD) has just unveiled a new FR-S supercharger at the SEMA show this year.

While tuner Accelerated Performance introduced a turbocharging kit for the twin Subaru BRZ, the new TRD supercharger will be the very first factory-backed force-induction system. The supercharger was co-developed between Stout Racing and TRD for the upcoming Pirelli World Challenge Series FR-S. Given the FR-S' requirement to meet regulations in its GTS class, TRD must make the supercharger a hardware available to the public in order for it to be used for competition in the race car. With that in mind, a performance part doesn't get more racing-derived than that.

At this point, TRD has yet to unveil exactly how much power the new supercharger stands to produce. Other TRD hardware upgrades available at SEMA include a new exhaust, lowering springs, intake, and a big-brake kit.

Expect the new TRD supercharger to be available in your nearest Scion dealer by March 2013, the start of the next GTS class World Challenge racing season. For Subaru BRZ owners that are interested in fitting a supercharger as well, we suggest calling Scion to learn more about warranty technicalities.

This Scion Racing FR-S that was revealed at @ SEMA 2012 has the first actual production version of the TRD Supercharger. But no numbers were given nor was the hood even opened.

iMotorTimes
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #839
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Good looking car !
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #840
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Exclamation GT86 will have high performance hybrid version

Portuguese automotive press is saying that Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer of the Toyobaru project, revealed first hand that the GT86 will have high performance hybrid version :

Translation:

Quote:
GT86 will have high performance hybrid version

November 9, 2012 09:36

Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer of Toyota sports models revealed first hand to Autohoje that the most awaited powerful version of the Toyota GT86 will have a hybrid powertrain. This is a new technology, which has nothing to do with that used in Prius. Tada-san confirmed that Toyota is developing two new generations of hybrid systems: one for family and one for sport models. While not giving many details, he confirmed that a hybrid GT86 is already rolling in tests in Japan, which implies a release before 2015. The Japanese brand engineer suggested that the GT86 hybrid might have a system of super-capacitors, which follows the principle used by the brand in the Endurance World Championship (WEC). This hybrid GT86's power output was not revealed but it is expected to have more than 250 hp.

After the Toyota GT86, the brand is preparing a range of three sport models: one cheaper than the GT86 and one more expensive. Remember that the brand has signed an agreement with BMW that covers precisely a joint project of sport models and hybrid systems.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #841
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Other contenders that didn't make EVO's final shootout:
-Mercedes C63 AMG Black
-Alpina B3 GT3
-Morgan 3 Wheeler
-Toyota GT 86

Autocar results:

Autoexpress results:

1) Toyota GT86
2) Porsche Boxter
3) Ford Focus ST
4) Porsche 911
5) Suzuki Swift Sport
6) Audi RS4
7) Mercedes SL63 AMG
8) Lotus Exige S
9) Mini JCW Roadster
10) Morgan Plus 8

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 11-13-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #842
F10Crave
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i F10

I would really like a forced induction brz
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #843
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I just have to say what fabulous F1 grand prix that was in your home land. What a race!

I hope that it is now, once and for all, proved that Lewis Hamilton is a better driver than Sebastien Vettel and that Vettel is benefiting from the fact the Red Bull is the better car for some years now and also benefiting from the fact that the other top drivers don't fight only against him but also against his team mate who clearly is not up to the best but who is obviously benefiting from the better car out there and robbing points off the drivers fighting for the championship, race after race (gladly not this time! ).

Alonso > Hamilton > Vettel > Button > Webber is obvious.

Rosberg and Kobayashi they are personal faves of mine... but their last results don't do them justice, I reckon.

I'm sorry for the off-topic but the US grand prix was fantastic, fantastic motor racing!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 11-18-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #844
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I call weak sauce if this car ends up with a turbocharger under the hood. That will just make it heavier, less responsive and more mechanically fussy. What it should have is a punched out version of the stock engine, say 2.5L, with a more aggressive valve train and exhaust system good for 250+hp/200lb/ft. Maybe shave a little weight if possible...might be difficult given bigger wheels and brakes but maybe some lighter weight sport seats and CF roof and some other weight saving measures could save 100lbs or so on an already light car.

Now that would be driver's car. That would hang with a Cayman S for half the price. I'd want one for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #845
Rowdy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

A subaru boxer engine without a turbo is boring. an STI without a fire breathing 300hp turbo engine is blasphemy! Cant wait for the actual release. Should be quite entertaining
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #846
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Pics looks good!
      11-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #847
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
A subaru boxer engine without a turbo is boring. an STI without a fire breathing 300hp turbo engine is blasphemy! Cant wait for the actual release. Should be quite entertaining

If they can get the BRZ close to or slightly under 300bhp with single/twin turbos, im buying one.
      11-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #848
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Toyobaru's european competition is getting tougher... the Peugeot RCZ-R which is an uprated version of the present RCZ will be presented also in the Paris Motor Show taking place in the end of this month.

In Europe the RCZ costs about the same as the Toyobaru and in 2013 it will have a more powerful version of the turbocharged, direct fuel injection 1.6 THP engine with 260 hp (160 hp / liter) - that's an uprated version of the EP6CDTX engine which was co-developed by BMW and Peugeot (see above) - and also a Torsen limited slip differential in this 'R' guise:

Looks like an Audi TT and Nissan Z mated and this came out.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #849
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

I gotta say, these cars coming out are def exciting. Lot's of performance for less money.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #850
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #851
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

For those of you who were hesitant between the GT86 and the Cayman... here it is the new Cayman :

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #852
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
“Tokyo, November 30, 2012 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced that its “Subaru BRZ” sports coupe born in a joint development project with Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) has received the 2012-2013 Car of the Year Japan “Special Award”.*

* Jointly awarded to the “Toyota 86″

Developed with its product concept “Pure Handling Delight – the driving experience taken to a new level”, the Subaru BRZ is a front-engine, rear-wheel drive sports coupe offering sheer driving pleasure with excellent handling, which is enabled by the ultra-low center-of-gravity packaging with the Subaru Boxer engine mounted as low as possible.
The optimal combination of Subaru’s horizontally-opposed Boxer engine and Toyota’s “4-DS” direct injection technologyhighlights the successful collaboration realized in the TMC-FHI alliance.

< About 2012-2013 Car of the Year Japan “Special Award” >
Selected from among all passenger cars newly released in Japan during the period from November 1, 2011 through October 31, 2012 by the Japanese COTY panel of jurors composed mainly of automotive experts and journalists.
Separately from the Car of the Year Japan award, “Special Award” is presented to recognize the car that has made an exceptional impact.”

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 12-03-2012 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #853
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Upon being presented with the “Japan Car of the Year 2012” award both Mr.Tada, Chief engineer of Toyota GT86/ Subaru BRZ project, and Mr. Takefuji of FHI said the following words:

Quote:

Mr. Tada : “To the folks in the automotive industry and business media, there must have been many concerns and questions about the creation of a traditional sports car, (which is typically seen as signs of excess and wealth in Japan where modesty is a virtue) in an era of hardships and challenges in economy. However, with an award like this presented to the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, it only shows to the public, the depth and enthusiasm of Japanese journalism, and a message to the world that there is a very strong fan base and a deeply rooted passion for such cars in Japanese society and automobile culture.

Mr.Takefuji of FHI added: “It was in October of 2005, when Toyota had approached us to collaborate on an automobile, and we had many discourses at the time on what type of car was to be created. By 2007, we had finally agreed to make a sports car, based on a type of sports car that can create and embrace a culture for many motorists. It was a long and grueling 5 years in the making since. Today however, with this event, we are so glad and appreciative to receive such high marks for the GT86/BRZ, and we will continue to use this car for further development, honing and refining more elements that seem fit, and through Asian markets and originating from Japan, and will challenge the best of Germany finest automobiles in refinement and quality. This will be our goal.”

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 12-03-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #854
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Porsche To Debut 4-Cylinder Cayman Turbo At The 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show?

Quote:
Porsche’s completely-redesigned 2013 Boxster was a major step forward for the German brand, and it looks like the all-new 2013 Cayman will offer the same progress in a hard-top version. The new car certainly looks better (in our eyes, anyway), and we’ll tell you exactly how much better it is to drive as soon as we get some seat time.

For now, the new Cayman offers buyers the choice of a 2.7-liter flat-six good for 275 horsepower (in base models), or a 3.4-liter flat-six rated at 325 horsepower (in S models). While the new Cayman models are more fuel efficient than those of the previous generation, Porsche knows it still needs to step up its game to meet future fuel economy and emission standards.

We’ve known since September of 2011 that Porsche was working on a four-cylinder boxer engine, which is historically significant since that’s what powered Porsche’s first efforts. Now, Italian website '0 - 100' is advising that this engine will debut, in turbocharged form, in the engine bay of a Porsche Cayman at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show.

Expect the range-topping model to be called the Porsche Cayman Turbo. Its 2.5-liter boxer engine is said to be good for 350 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, and it will come bolted to Porsche’s dual-clutch PDK transmission only.

The same 2.5-liter flat-four engine will fit in the Boxster as well, so we’d be surprised if Porsche didn’t introduce a turbocharged variant of this car, too. Since the “Baby Boxster” is now on hold, it’s possible that Porsche would fit a normally-aspirated flat-four in the base Cayman and Boxster to attract even more buyers.

While performance figures for the still-fictional Cayman Turbo have yet to be released, that’s a serious amount of thrust for Cayman and (potentially) Boxster models. It makes us wonder what steps Porsche will take to prevent the Cayman Turbo and Boxster Turbo from pirating sales of the Porsche 911, which brings the company higher margins
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #855
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Saw my first BRZ on the road this morning. It looked real good as I came up from behind, and then I saw these little, narrow wheels. Kind of deflated the whole look.
      12-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #856
DesioMedia
Rep
Drives: 128i

Wow Eco realltrashed the m135 hatch.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #857
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Saw my first BRZ on the road this morning. It looked real good as I came up from behind, and then I saw these little, narrow wheels. Kind of deflated the whole look.

Despite its narrow wheels and Prius tires it still pulls 0.91g on the skidpad... go figure!

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #858
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Jeremy’s Car of the Year: Toyota GT86

Quote:
“I like the GT86 because it’s come barrelling into the bottom end of the marketplace with a big dirty smile on its face and a suggestion in the way it stands that it wants to have fun with your middle parts. It’s a car designed for one thing only: fun.”
Quote:
"There's no need to drive anything else."
Appreciate 0