BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Question Vorsteiner Exhaust

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased an E92 M3 coupe and have ordered the Vorsteiner Titanium Exhaust for my vehicle. Unfortunately i could not wait for Milltek to produce their system for the M3 so I decided to try something different for a change. Wondering if anyone has installed a Vorsteiner Titanium Exhaust System and if there are any regrets? Reason i am asking is because, Youtube's sound compression does not do the system justice.

I previously had a set of Milltek Manifold inclusive of High-flow cats (100cell) and complete non-resonated Milltek cat-back for my previous 2006 Audi (B7) RS4. Loved the note and growl but droning got to me at the end of 8months and I fell in love with the M3 when 2units touched the shore of Brunei.

Ps: I've never had Titaniums or heard them on a V8 before.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
1yr warranty on that Vorsteiner exhaust doesn't inspire confidence.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
1yr warranty on that Vorsteiner exhaust doesn't inspire confidence.
Eisenmann has a 2 year warranty on their stainless exhaust. Remus has a 3 year on theirs. Supersprint has 1 year. The other titanium exhausts like Dixis, Gruppe-M and Ericsson are significantly less than a year warranty. So I'd say their warranty is very competitive.

Quote:
Wondering if anyone has installed a Vorsteiner Titanium Exhaust System and if there are any regrets? Reason i am asking is because, Youtube's sound compression does not do the system justice.
Whenever I get into my gf's E92 M3 with a stock exhaust, it sounds like there's something missing. It seems so much more boring without the exhaust. Then when I get back into my car, the Vorsteiner exhaust has such a great tone with no drone. It's so livable where it isn't annoying yet changes the tone and output to almost perfect levels. I'm so happy with the exhaust.

When the car gets back from SEMA, I'll try to find more time to take videos and pictures. The tips move out about 1"-1.5" when the car is warm.
      11-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Eisenmann has a 2 year warranty on their stainless exhaust. Remus has a 3 year on theirs. Supersprint has 1 year. The other titanium exhausts like Dixis, Gruppe-M and Ericsson are significantly less than a year warranty. So I'd say their warranty is very competitive.

Quick Correction - Supersprint is 3 year warranty.

Supersprint, Remus, Eisenamann, GruppeM, Dixis - are proven quality exhausts made by dedicated companies, TUV approval on some of them even. I would have full confidence in purchasing from the first 4 mentioned (The GruppeM on our E46 M3 was far too loud and with drone, so I have my reservations on if I'd ever put that on a new E92 M3).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Let me add a couple of other great exhausts into the mix - that should get mentioned and I honestly don't know if they have a product yet for the M3.

Kreissieg (Their products sound Amazing), Tubi(Italian Purr), Larini(they need to make BMW products, had to throw them in), Corsa (solid system), and Miltek as mentioned by the OP is a well known company. So there are quite a few of some really great exhaust companies out there that have this down as their specialty.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

Titanium exhausts sound the best IMO, but they easily break. Titanium is a flimsy metal when hot
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:

Whenever I get into my gf's E92 M3 with a stock exhaust, it sounds like there's something missing. It seems so much more boring without the exhaust. Then when I get back into my car, the Vorsteiner exhaust has such a great tone with no drone. It's so livable where it isn't annoying yet changes the tone and output to almost perfect levels. I'm so happy with the exhaust.

When the car gets back from SEMA, I'll try to find more time to take videos and pictures. The tips move out about 1"-1.5" when the car is warm.
I should clarify, 1yr warranty on a Ti exhaust doesnt inspire confidence.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yea i suppose, warranty is pretty much a competitive point to argue on ay. Just wanted to know if i made a decent choice as my preference was to have a comfortable aggressive note when floored and no drone whilst cruising.

Hi Bad Fish... Thanks for your note of optimism to put my mind and heart at risk as i wasn't really sure what i was getting myself into with Titanium setup. Yea, droning is a pain in the but after a prolonged period of time. Apart from the vorsteiner setup did you change or consider changing the downpipes / replace high flow cats?

Can you foresee any improvement and purpose? My brother who is an M freak told me to not to bother spending unnecessary $ on downpipes because he strongly feels that the M3 is optimally tuned
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

From what I've heard titanium exhaust systems can easily crack? If that's true, that might explain the short warranty. I'm also curious, does the titanium system give you that high pitched, closer to racecar or exotic car sound? I've never heard one so I'm not sure if that's true, but I do remember reading that somewhere.
      11-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I've been thinking about the Vorsteiner exhaust for some time. I really like the weight savings, and it sounds fine, but I don't try to make much of the online clips in general. I would like to see a dyno chart. They are supposed to post one after SEMA I think...
      11-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I think you will be very happy with the result. Seeing and hearing this on Badfish's car instilled a lot of confidence for me in the quality of sound and construction. It's truly a stunning exhaust and will look, IMO, unreal against the cf diffuser with the titanium tips. I am excited to have our backorders filled and hear customer's videos as soon as they are up.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I think you will be very happy with the result. Seeing and hearing this on Badfish's car instilled a lot of confidence for me in the quality of sound and construction. It's truly a stunning exhaust and will look, IMO, unreal against the cf diffuser with the titanium tips. I am excited to have our backorders filled and hear customer's videos as soon as they are up.
Sweet as for your vote of confidence Nick... lol... you've really made me feel a lot better. Just curious as to when and why the system would crack. Anyways, I reckon if they are prone to the cracking I should personally be investing in some thermal wrap for the exhaust. We'll see.

Yea, I was sold when i saw the Vorsteiner paired up against the rear diffuser!! No second thoughts, I had to get it. hehe... You have a system on back order too? I think my batch was the one that was completed on the 24th OCT 2008 and only shipped out last Friday 31st Oct 2008.

Fingers crossed it arrives soon... oh well back to my proposal before my boss serves my arse on a plate.

Have a good day mate...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just judging from the warranty, it should say enough when the same component is warrantied for a shorter period than others.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous M View Post
Apart from the vorsteiner setup did you change or consider changing the downpipes / replace high flow cats?

Can you foresee any improvement and purpose? My brother who is an M freak told me to not to bother spending unnecessary $ on downpipes because he strongly feels that the M3 is optimally tuned
I did not. I'll have to see some real world data on high flow cats to consider them. I also live in CA where smog can be tough.
      11-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

I've been going back and forth about which exhaust to get. I've narrowed it down to the Eisenmann race, AA, and Vorsteiner. I love the sound of the Eisenmann but for the price of an Eisenmann and an X-pipe I can get a Vorsteiner system that includes the x-pipe. I love the sound of the Eisenmann system and have only heard one sound clip of the Vorsteiner exhaust on their website but I couldn't really appreciate it that well. If the Vorsteiner set up sounds anywhere near what the Eisenmann exhaust sounds like than I'm getting the Vorsteiner exhaust. Can anyone with this exhaust tell me if the sound is similar to the Eisenmann?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnooz View Post
I've been going back and forth about which exhaust to get. I've narrowed it down to the Eisenmann race, AA, and Vorsteiner. I love the sound of the Eisenmann but for the price of an Eisenmann and an X-pipe I can get a Vorsteiner system that includes the x-pipe. I love the sound of the Eisenmann system and have only heard one sound clip of the Vorsteiner exhaust on their website but I couldn't really appreciate it that well. If the Vorsteiner set up sounds anywhere near what the Eisenmann exhaust sounds like than I'm getting the Vorsteiner exhaust. Can anyone with this exhaust tell me if the sound is similar to the Eisenmann?
Here are a few clips of the Vorsteiner exhaust that I found on Youtube to give you a better idea. It's more of a deep, rich growl than other exhausts. Either way, let me know if you would like a quote on any of the exhausts.

[u2b]ajBUUuFRO4M&feature=related[/u2b]

[u2b]LFPNhSMknXg&feature=related[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
Here are a few clips of the Vorsteiner exhaust that I found on Youtube to give you a better idea. It's more of a deep, rich growl than other exhausts.
That's badfish's car. There's also another clip of his car in the exhaust thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
That's badfish's car. There's also another clip of his car in the exhaust thread.
Very nice. We had the exhaust debuted at Bimmerfest last year and I loved the sound. It gathered a crowd every time Chris (another member) revved up his car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

Thanks Kenny! It does have a nice growl. I'll PM you with a price request.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #20
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did not. I'll have to see some real world data on high flow cats to consider them. I also live in CA where smog can be tough.
ah nice one buddy... thanks for sharing your much valued opinion and rationale with me. LOL! i am thinkin of perhaps maybe cutting off the secondary cat to get a lil more of a distinct growl when my exhaust finally arrives. haha...

Today i attended the Merc C63 launching in Brunei and i have to say that car sounds like a proper bad ass. Wondering why BMW decided to suppress the wonderful note of the V8. could it possibly be the noise and pollution emission concerns?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I think it's more of a matter of the M3 V8 being a high revving engine versus the merc which is a torque monster.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnooz View Post
Thanks Kenny! It does have a nice growl. I'll PM you with a price request.
Thank you! PM replied btw
Appreciate 0