BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

05-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
DKM3
Bimmerpost Special Prosecutor II
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

-=review: MIKE BENVO TUNE - And I thought my NA M3 was fast before=-

After getting a full blown CiC Retrofit (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695241) from Mike I made the decision to go all out and tune my car with some added toys.

My setup consisted of:
-AFE scoops
-AFE stage 2 intake
-RPI X-Pipe test pipes (Thank you Trinity Motorsports! Shout out)
-Agency Power Cat Back (The agency guys create a beautiful exhaust and offer amazing support).

-Euro DCT (Benvo added)
-Euro MDM (Benvo added)

BENVO TUNED:

After consulting Mike about what type of changes we should make I took the plunge.

Wow! I finally found that lowend torque I've been looking for in my M3 for a long time. 2500-4500 pulls hard and it doesn't stop. It was lacking so much there before. I had the following changes in my tune so far

NOTE: some of the changes may be a bit over my head to talk about confidently / proprietary to Mike's tune. From what I understand my test pipes allow for more timing and cylinder fill.

-No cold start (now I don't wake up the neighborhood)
-Advanced tuning of my VANOS timing, cam adjustments, higher resolution of maps at the high end
-Emissions fault cleared/off
-Remapped Sport, and Sport+
-Raised redline and optimized top end maps

RESULT: wow, omg, holy sh*t! This is how an M3 is supposed to feel. The tune was so noticeable it literally changed the sound of my car from a nasty v8 to a more refined and exotic racing engine. The thing is a beast! I literally feel like I'm 5 years old again. The car just begs to be floored.

Mike literally tuned my file by hand, byte by byte. He wanted my input to tailor the car to what I wanted and how I drove (well how I would drive with the M button on ). I felt like I was being fitted for a fine Italian suit and the service was unbelievable. Mike's quality of service is unbelievable. He does what only a few brands can do - He makes you feel special and as if your the only client and purpose he has. This attention to detail and service are second to none.

If you're the type of guy who dreams of having, has custom tailored suits, or just like that professional attention Mike is for you. With Mike you're a client not a customer.

Thank you again Mr. Benvo!

UPDATE 2 - May - Sept (4-5 months) AFTER
--------------------------------------------------
No errors thrown! The tune is perfect. Looking forward to the newest tunes with my end user cable.

UPDATE 1 - TRIP UP TO SF
----------------------------
So after the tune I had to drive up to SF for the startup that I'm advising on over the summer. I decided to take PCH up to the 101 then the 1. For the first leg I decided to drop by the BMW engine development center.

After the 101 came the amazing 1. Everyone on the forum who loves driving should at least do it once in they're life. I'm almost surprised that top gear haven't made something out of it because the drive literally transports you to the isle of man.

On the drive the car was a beast. It was SO easy to control. Euro MDM gave me that little extra comfort I needed but to tell you the truth I just cruised because what's the point to being reckless? The tune Mike did gave me the torque in the ranges I needed to just lay back with windows down, listening to my exhaust, and enjoying the beauty that is the 1. Anyone second guessing a tune by Benvo should take comfort in the fact that the car was comfortable yet powerful when needed and most importantly: reliable. Mike is a custom tuner and though my tune may be catered to me and my driving style the same techniques are employed in his other tunes. His tunes truly = Power + Emotion which I believe is hard to find.

Last edited by DKM3; 09-25-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I'm excited to get my tune from him as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I want to know more! I just had him update my oem software to 231E version. If i had known about this, I would had done it!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'm excited to get my tune from him as well.
In for reviews! I know we can always trust you for your honest opinion so hurry up already!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
In for reviews! I know we can always trust you for your honest opinion so hurry up already!
HAHA!! You know it!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Dark! I love the car and review ! Please try the Rpi induction kid! I bet more power. The BMC filter and the Rpi scoops! Agency is ok i was told but id do RPI's full system!
      05-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice review, I may get Mike to tune/code mine in the near future too I've heard nothing but good things and I'd like to get some stuff coded that the other tuners don't offer (to my knowledge anyway).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
Please try the Rpi induction kid! I bet more power. The BMC filter and the Rpi scoops! Agency is ok i was told but id do RPI's full system!
Are you serious?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3 View Post
After getting a full blown CiC Retrofit (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695241) from Mike I made the decision to go all out and tune my car with some added toys.

My setup consisted of:
-AFE scoops
-AFE stage 2 intake
-Agency Power Cat Back (The agency guys create a beautiful exhaust and offer amazing support).

-Euro DCT (Benvo added)
-Euro MDM (Benvo added)

BENVO TUNED:

After consulting Mike about what type of changes we should make I took the plunge.

Wow! I finally found that lowend torque I've been looking for in my M3 for a long time. 2500-4500 pulls hard and it doesn't stop. It was lacking so much there before. I had the following changes in my tune so far

NOTE: some of the changes may be a bit over my head to talk about confidently / proprietary to Mike's tune. From what I understand my test pipes allow for more timing and cylinder fill.

-Advanced tuning of my VANOS timing, cam adjustments, higher resolution of maps at the high end

RESULT: wow, omg, holy sh*t! This is how an M3 is supposed to feel. The tune was so noticeable it literally changed the sound of my car from a nasty v8 to a more refined and exotic racing engine. The thing is a beast! I literally feel like I'm 5 years old again. The car just begs to be floored.

Mike literally tuned my file by hand, byte by byte. He wanted my input to tailor the car to what I wanted and how I drove (well how I would drive with the M button on ). I felt like I was being fitted for a fine Italian suit and the service was unbelievable. Mike's quality of service is unbelievable. He does what only a few brands can do - He makes you feel special and as if your the only client and purpose he has. This attention to detail and service are second to none.

If you're the type of guy who dreams of having, has custom tailored suits, or just like that professional attention Mike is for you. With Mike you're a client not a customer.

Can you elaborate on Euro DCT? I believe the car defaults to D2 (instead of S3) at start-up on the Euro version, but are there other differences?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3 View Post

My setup consisted of:
-AFE scoops
-AFE stage 2 intake

-Euro DCT (Benvo added)
-Euro MDM (Benvo added)

BENVO TUNED:

Can you elaborate on Euro DCT? I believe the car defaults to D2 (instead of S3) at start-up on the Euro version, but are there other differences?
Plus 1... What's euro DCT?

I've heard of euro MDM but not euro DCT.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
The BMC filter and the Rpi scoops!

So strange the scoops are so prevalent on this forum.. you wouldn't think...

Also the tune is mainly for the test pipes, correct?
      05-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #13
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

what's euro mdm?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
hotbrick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Nice review, but what did he charge you for the tune?
      05-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbrick View Post
Nice review, but what did he charge you for the tune?
He got a lot more done than a tune. Just PM Mike for a price.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Do we have an answer on what Euro DCT is, besides defaulting to D2 instead of S3 at startup?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
PhoenixM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT M3

Mike, I want to be a customer.....

But Dude, you have to respond to my email.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixM3 View Post
But Dude, you have to respond to my email.

Jeff
Since his recent excursion to the East Coast, he's been a bit behind on the emails. He is planning to be current by the end of the week. Keep hope alive!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Do we have an answer on what Euro DCT is, besides defaulting to D2 instead of S3 at startup?
Bump.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I've been running EU DCT since December, and regularly see track/street use.

With the EU flash, the transmission will default in S5 in manual mode (or S3, whichever you left it at). Otherwise, there is no improvement in shifting firmness/speed compared to US file. We've programmed a couple of local M3s with it and monitored over the months - it's not enough to label this as "performance".

IMHO, it's more of a convenience decision than performance-based. Hope this helps.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I've been running EU DCT since December, and regularly see track/street use.

With the EU flash, the transmission will default in S5 in manual mode (or S3, whichever you left it at). Otherwise, there is no improvement in shifting firmness/speed compared to US file. We've programmed a couple of local M3s with it and monitored over the months - it's not enough to label this as "performance".

IMHO, it's more of a convenience decision than performance-based. Hope this helps.
Nice. I for one am tired of pushing the right side of the button twice (S3 to S5) each time I start the engine.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Nice. I for one am tired of pushing the right side of the button twice (S3 to S5) each time I start the engine.
Then push the "M" button once instead

Thanks for clarifying, Tom.
Appreciate 0