BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
flagger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The first 3000 miles

First, the only real issue – I wish it had a bigger gas tank. Mileage is what it is, but the car could use a little more range. Currently getting about 15 – 16 around town and 22 – 23 @ 70 out on the highways. I live in a mountainous area, so lots of up and down highway driving. One nice thing about living in West Virginia is the speed limit on Interstates is 70 which allows me to set the cruise control at 80. Anyway, it would be nice to go a little more than 300 - 320 between fill-ups. I could get close to 380 miles out of my old (2004) E46 M3.

The engine is very strong, pulling well in all gears. Another wish would be for a slightly taller rear end gear to allow for more time and speed in 1st gear. It reminds me of my first car, a DKW, (predecessor to the modern day Audi). First gear was good to about 25 mph and you could let the clutch out without adding gas; the car would roll away at idle. I can do the same with the M, although there is a little more speed. Gas mileage would probably improve as well. And yes, you probably wouldn’t be able to get to 60 in 4.3sec, but 95% of the time, you don’t drive that way on the street. The throttle mapping in “Sport” mode is also a lot nicer than the old “Sport” mode in the E46. Much more linear and easier to drive allowing me to have it turned on all the time. I do notice the oil temperature runs a little hotter than the E46, but it appears to be holding at what I would guess to be about 220°. I’m a bit old school and would really like a water temp gauge and a dip stick.

As far as the rest of the car, I am very pleased. The car appears to be very well built; fit, finish and paint on my car are all very good. It is very quiet to drive with very little wind noise at speed. Even with the windows down, there is significantly less wind noise and buffeting as compared to my old M3. I’ve also noticed there is very little brake dust. They must have changed the compound. The overall ride is much more comfortable and the adjustable shocks allow me to tailor it to my style of driving at the time.

My car came with the technology package so I have the dreaded “i” drive. As everyone is aware, it covers a lot of functionality, but the user interface is less than perfect (probably designed by a programmer). Now before the programmers out there start yelling, I have nothing but respect for programmers. Most are very talented, turning a functional spec into computer code. However, programmers typically work in the functional world and typically do not deal with workflow, (the task string needed to accomplish a task). Their program is typically just a component of the workflow and if the user interface is not intuitive or it involves too many steps to accomplish a task, it disrupts the workflow. Having designed and installed patient care software for hospitals, I have a lot of familiarity with the subject. Office 2007 is another good example of non-intuitive software that requires multiple steps to find a function and use it. But, after a couple of months, you memorize where things are and get on with life. Sorry, I got distracted. Like any software package with a poor user interface, after you use it a while, you get past its poor design through familiarity and it is no longer a significant issue. The “i” drive can now be navigated through memorization.

Like the “i” drive, the gear box takes a little getting used to, but moving the gear lever now is second nature.

I do miss the opening rear windows. While they could get a little noisy at times, they did provide good ventilation with the front side windows closed.

I certainly don’t have any regrets acquiring this car. It is engaging and every bit as good, if not better than the one it replaced. I hope others enjoy their cars as much.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Nice review
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Great read, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
great stuff

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking Thanks for the review

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

well wrote, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Thanks for taking the time, good review, with focus on some new things (back end gearing, etc.).

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0