BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

ideal tire pressure for spirited driving

Hello all - Let me preface this brief thread by stating that I have read the manual, and I know the indicated pressure for a 2011 M3 convertible is 36F, 38R. That said, having owned several other BMW's and Porsche's, I always find on these boards that there are likely more "ideal" tire pressures that other have found produced better handling characteristics. I was curious of opinion.

Car at present is a DD, stock, on OEM 19 Contis (which I hate BTW), and with EDC, and DCT. I am having the Dinan Stage II suspension installed next week, so that should be interesting.

that said, I assume an ideal pressure would be same regardless of suspension change.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

I run (F/R) 28/26 cold which is 36/34 hot on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
PhYrE
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Look at the sidewall of the tire. Probably a 1/3rd of an inch from the tire tread is a triangle pointing to the tread of the tire (up/down or side/side depending on where it is). This is printed on the sidewall.

When tracking, this triangle points to where the scrub marks for the road should be. Thus if it's nowhere close to it, you can let out more air and use more sidewall. If it's over it, you should increase the air as it's riding on the sidewall.

Now you shouldn't do this on the street. You'd let out a lot of air to get to the mark, you'd have terrible fuel economy, and your sidewall would heat up like anything and eventually wear.

That said, it gives you a mark if you're ever looking for 'spirited' track driving. That's how you should get to the figures mentioned in post # 2 to maximize the grip on the track.

On the street go up a few pounds for better fuel economy. Go down a few pounds for better grip. Anything too far beyond that causes drastic wear.

Note of course that any difference in size will alter these figures.

-M
Carbon-Fibre everything
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Please note there are TWO tire pressure guide stickers on the driver's door provided by BMW. There is the standard pressure guide, but also a second sticker in yellow. This sticker is for sustained driving over 100 mph, and is meant for the German market, but is on my 2009 E90 with OEM PS2s.

The advised pressure is 38 front and 41 rear.
Appreciate 0