BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

I dunno why you'd want the Mustang in an Auto. Comparing the slushbox in the stang to the M3's DCT is like comparing a filet mignon to a block of lard. I think the Mustang is a great car, but like most muscle cars it HAS to be in a manual. Just isn't right to have one in an auto. Not to mention there is nothing crazy advanced like the DCT to make the auto any better in any way than the stick. The 5.0 is a very good car with an amazing engine, but get the manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #24
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

^i completely agree, but read up on the Chinese getrag tranny I haven't looked it up since i was in the market about a year ago but afaik it's not resolved yet. IIRC owners complained about the car not going into gear, losing 1st or 2nd gear or something like that in a couple thousand miles with a brand new car. definitely scared me away.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I drive is better then ford sync I have both.
      11-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
BOOstJunkee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Turbo/335awd

With an automatic transmission being your choice, I think you should definitely go for the C63. It will serve your purpose just fine!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

OP, i have 4 friends with 5.0s, 3 have manual trannys and after about 5k miles ALL 3 are having issues. They been researching and it appears that the manual tranny in 5.0 is fairly poor and has ton of issues. Sure, you're covered under the warranty but what do you do once warranty is out?

In 5.0s case automatic transmission is better and performs better. My friend Matt with intake and a tune ran 11.92 with an automatic tranny.

Another friend has a '13 5.0 with 800 manual and just went into shop for tranny problems(dont know all the details yet)
      11-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #28
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep

from what i've read the Boss suffers the same issue, it's truly a shame
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #29
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I had weeks with a 5.0 recently and I promise you the m3 is and feels much faster, atleast with DCT vs auto 5.0. Problem with the 5.0 is it has quite tall gears and only 6 gears which make it very hard to stay in the powerband atleast with the auto. It also felt like you were sitting in a rectangular box full of cheap plastic that was really uncomfortable.

DCT made a big difference. Its the difference between sitting in a beautiful race car vs a cheap plastic box.

A manual 5.0 vs manual m3 is probably close in 0.60 and quarter but in real life driving, on the freeway for example, dropping a few gears with dct into 3rd going 75 is wayyyyy faster than the 5.0.

I was extremely disapointed I will tell you that and if you drove an m3 and than a 5.0 I would be shocked if you liked the 5.0. It sounds nowhere near as exotic and refined as the m3 8400 v8
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
A manual 5.0 vs manual m3 is probably close in 0.60 and quarter but in real life driving, on the freeway for example, dropping a few gears with dct into 3rd going 75 is wayyyyy faster than the 5.0.
sorry but i have a hard time believing that, both cars trap very similar in the 1/4. now maybe above 130mph the m3 might pull? i have no idea, but a 3rd gear drop should be a good race between both cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #31
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibalnoma View Post
If you can afford an 08-09 M3, you can definitely afford an 08-09 C63

From all the comments you've made, you sound like you want a 5.0 mustang.
Go for it.

A lot of people pay a little more for the quality of build, the chassis, and the balance of M3's.
However, it sounds like you want the power with a lower price tag.
There's your answer. a mustang

+1, I think you already made up your mind on the Mustang, if it's all about the amount of money you have to invest to make power then you've already answered your question.
      11-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Not bashing Ford but I met a guy at a local meet recently that purchased a 2013 GT-500 and decided to do some mods and flash, well few days later he blew his motor and had to buy a new motor out of pocket because he voided his warranty. He is now stock again and looking to sell. Don't get me wrong Ford did a great job on the new Mustang but not sure about the reliability on modding, it's been proven the M3 has an excellent drivetrain.
      11-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #33
spenta
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive

Garage List
I test drove a manual 2011 mustang 5.0. It was a really nice car but the tranny is junk. For some reason it refused to go into third gear, and when it did, it would pop out of gear and go into neutral. I loved everything else about the car but didn't buy it because of the tranny issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #34
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybam View Post
I'd rather have a used M3 over a new Mustang 5.0.
I agree........and that's why I have a used M3.
      11-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #35
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I briefly owned a 5.0 before my M3, the engine is amazing but the rest of the car (interior, exterior, transmission) is junk.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
Munit
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
sorry but i have a hard time believing that, both cars trap very similar in the 1/4. now maybe above 130mph the m3 might pull? i have no idea, but a 3rd gear drop should be a good race between both cars.

You don't even have an m3. 0-60 and quarter are decieving in this comparison. They are equal but remember the mustang with its low end torque gets a significant jump off the line and the m3 claws back in each of these.

So if you take a normal speed like 30-40mph and drop it into 2nd where you are high in the rev band and low end torque is meaningless, it is clear why the m3 would be faster. SInce it is as fast from a dig despite the mustang launching with its torque, means that once revs go which is normal driving, it is much quicker, otherwise it would severely lose to the stang on a quarter mile if it was not quicker once moving. Low end torque is good for one thing-quarter and 0-60. Aside from that the stang is a lot slower
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #37
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You don't even have an m3. 0-60 and quarter are decieving in this comparison. They are equal but remember the mustang with its low end torque gets a significant jump off the line and the m3 claws back in each of these.

So if you take a normal speed like 30-40mph and drop it into 2nd where you are high in the rev band and low end torque is meaningless, it is clear why the m3 would be faster. SInce it is as fast from a dig despite the mustang launching with its torque, means that once revs go which is normal driving, it is much quicker, otherwise it would severely lose to the stang on a quarter mile if it was not quicker once moving. Low end torque is good for one thing-quarter and 0-60. Aside from that the stang is a lot slower
didnt know i have to have an m3 to know how quick it is, i've raced in and against plenty, same with the 5.0. but of course, you are right because you have the m3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:

Low end torque is good for one thing-quarter and 0-60. Aside from that the stang is a lot slower
Not so sure about your low end torque argument. Motor Trend found the M3 to be equally fast to 60 and nearly as fast in the quarter mile. Motor Trend also found the Mustang to be slightly faster around the race track, suggesting it is not a lot slower except in the quarter and 0-60.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #39
Munit
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Not so sure about your low end torque argument. Motor Trend found the M3 to be equally fast to 60 and nearly as fast in the quarter mile. Motor Trend also found the Mustang to be slightly faster around the race track, suggesting it is not a lot slower except in the quarter and 0-60.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
You missed the entire point I said. They ARE equal which means, given the m3 has low torque deficit considerably to the mustang, the standstill measures means the m3 starts with a deficit. However m3 puts down the same numbers which means that once going, the m3 climbs back from the deficit and thus is faster once going. If they were the same once moving, and hte stang also had an advantage at the start to get off the line and for the first 10-20 mph, than the stang would hold that until the end and be faster.

If the m3 catches up and puts down same numbers, it needs some factor to make up the slower start-which equals only one thing. Carrying more speed and acceleration once going above 20mph

Track times dont say much about useable daily speed. For one, you often are unable to go flat out very often on the track. So handling in a pro's hands looks about equal as the cornering is important. However again, the mustang has an advantage on a track with quite a few large turns at lower speeds as it can come out of the corner faster at low speed/RPMs due to its low torque.

So again the factg the m3 can put down the same track times means that despite its deficit in coming out of corners as fast, it clearly makes it up given they finish with the same time. Meaning most of the mid-high range straights and areas of the track, the m3 is faster.

Not saying the stang is not great and a pretty good match but unless you are 0-60/quarter racing and looking at numbers, there is no comparison if you do some real world 30-100 rolls or 60-100 etc. That mid-high range rpm zone, coupled to a dct, makes the m3 quite noticably faster and given 7 gears it can stay in its most potent power zone more often than the stang with much taller gears
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #40
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

You expect the m3 to have more power down low than your 335?
Sorry buddy, its the complete opposite. The m3 down low has very little power, and a lot less torque. You really need to wind it out to make good power.
The 5.0 is a torque monster, very fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #41
Marcadelic
Instagram: @Marcadelic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
You expect the m3 to have more power down low than your 335?
Sorry buddy, its the complete opposite. The m3 down low has very little power, and a lot less torque. You really need to wind it out to make good power.
The 5.0 is a torque monster, very fun to drive.
already fixed that mistake later in the thread.....

but just wanted to let everyone knows it looks like ill be keeping the 335i for a couple more years , ended up being the cheapest option. Thanks for all the help though!

| New: 2018 F80 M3 | Old: 335i / 335is | Instagram: Marcadelic |
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #42
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
If you are focused on modding for more power, get the Mustang. If you want a subjectively more refined and balanced driving experience get an M3. In my experience, no matter how much power you have, you get used to the feeling it gives you. The overall refinement and balance of a car is what gives sustained driving enjoyment.
This right here.

My roommate just got out of Cobb tuned, suspension, bolt on 335 into an 11' E90 M3

So the M3 is slower, has way less torque and only gets 20 mpg going 80 vs 30mpg for the 335. It also has clothe seats that aren't powered. What gives, why would he do that?

Go drive them is what I have to say. The M is a thoroughbred. Literally. From how it sounds when you let the revs settle gently to idle, to the steering, absolutely glorious throttle response and symphony when you rev-match it is just a something you'll take your hat off for.

In terms of the driving experience, which is what matters to ME the M3 is like olympic figure skater and the 335 is like power lifter. If you want to go fast, then get a car that has that in mind. If you want a professional drivers tool, then get the M3.

Also IMO. The 5.0 automatic is not comparable to any M3. It's like apples to oranges to me when you equip a 5.0 with an automatic. It's a true automatic, like any traditional automatic. It's good for one thing, drag racing and merking people at red lights.