BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

11-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Detailer Opinions: New Car Interior Advice

For all you detailer pros out there, I've always wondered beyond getting a clear bra and opti coat put on the exterior of the new car, what other products should I apply to the interior of the car to protect the leather? Should I simply not touch the new leather until a couple months in? Or are there things I should do off the bat once I get the new car. I would appreciate a couple tips and recommended products to keeping this car looking / feeling new as long as possible.

Note: while the thread is "interior" based, open to advice what else should be done to the car overall when it's brand spanking new.

Net, just want confirmation to not do anything or at minimum do x,y,z...
      11-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
rac390
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 , 2013 E92 M3

I'm interested in this as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Depends... Keeping them clean and free of dirt, oils, and lint is probably your best bet. A lot of the wear comes from those things getting trapped in/on the leather and rubbing, causing wear and damage. You can condition it twice a year as well to keep it soft.

All you really need to do is exercise care in getting in and out of the car, and also ensure you wipe up spills quickly (if you're making this thread I am guessing that you're like me and don't eat or drink in the car), and keep it clean. You'll be surprised how nice it will stay. If you daily drive it, you'll get more wear, obviously. If you drive it to the gym, I would suggest getting a seat cover or towel or something to keep sweat from getting all over it.

Honestly, the leather is going to wear over time regardless of what you do. There's no opti-coat or clear bra for the interior leather. If you're careful enough, you can make it last much, much longer though. Whether you touch it now or touch it a year from now, it doesn't make a difference...

What I do: twice a year clean and condition with Leatherique prestine clean and rejuvenator oil. In between that, a damp microfiber towel wipedown for lint and dirt as needed. That is really it. Mine looks and smells the same way it did when I bought it.
      11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
For all you detailer pros out there, I've always wondered beyond getting a clear bra and opti coat put on the exterior of the new car, what other products should I apply to the interior of the car to protect the leather? Should I simply not touch the new leather until a couple months in? Or are there things I should do off the bat once I get the new car. I would appreciate a couple tips and recommended products to keeping this car looking / feeling new as long as possible.

Note: while the thread is "interior" based, open to advice what else should be done to the car overall when it's brand spanking new.

Net, just want confirmation to not do anything or at minimum do x,y,z...
Read my thread.......
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768340
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Chill dude, I did see this thread, but I think that's for cars that have a couple years on it already. Or seemed like to me. My basic question really is in the first months what should be done (if anything)

Plus, I'm not sure I want to drench an interior in stuff that smells like a chemical. Did your car still retain the new car smell? Or something close to it. Looks nice though.
      11-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Depends... Keeping them clean and free of dirt, oils, and lint is probably your best bet. A lot of the wear comes from those things getting trapped in/on the leather and rubbing, causing wear and damage. You can condition it twice a year as well to keep it soft.

All you really need to do is exercise care in getting in and out of the car, and also ensure you wipe up spills quickly (if you're making this thread I am guessing that you're like me and don't eat or drink in the car), and keep it clean. You'll be surprised how nice it will stay. If you daily drive it, you'll get more wear, obviously. If you drive it to the gym, I would suggest getting a seat cover or towel or something to keep sweat from getting all over it.

Honestly, the leather is going to wear over time regardless of what you do. There's no opti-coat or clear bra for the interior leather. If you're careful enough, you can make it last much, much longer though. Whether you touch it now or touch it a year from now, it doesn't make a difference...

What I do: twice a year clean and condition with Leatherique prestine clean and rejuvenator oil. In between that, a damp microfiber towel wipedown for lint and dirt as needed. That is really it. Mine looks and smells the same way it did when I bought it.
Got it, thanks. I probably won't do the full clean when I get the car, but perhaps after a couple months. Will keep your tips in mind!
      11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Chill dude, I did see this thread, but I think that's for cars that have a couple years on it already. Or seemed like to me. My basic question really is in the first months what should be done (if anything)

Plus, I'm not sure I want to drench an interior in stuff that smells like a chemical. Did your car still retain the new car smell? Or something close to it. Looks nice though.
No....no....no !!!This is not chemical...but 100 % naturel !
Ok...i can guarantee,my car smells verry good,even better than the first day
For instance..when someone gets in my car...they say...wow your car smells
so good with this leather,i have tested it out on my leather shoes and put
them in the box for two weeks , and tested than the smell.(in England they use it on Rolls- Royce's)
No,no not with me....i think always before handling !!!
http://www.leatherique.com/

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 11-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: ngland
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
No....no....no !!!This is not chemical...but 100 % naturel !
Ok...i can guarantee,my car smells verry good,even better than the first day
For instance..when someone gets in my car...they say...wow your smells
so good with this leather,i have tested it out on my leather shoes and put
them in the box for two weeks , and tested than the smell.
No,no not with me....i think always before handling !!!
http://www.leatherique.com/
Awesome, going to check this out
      12-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

For a new car I would maintain the leather with Leather Armor products. Strong Cleaner (maybe even soft cleaner which is 50% watered down) and Protection Cream. You can use the Leather Vital as well which hydrates the leather but this won't be needed during the first application. I do not apply the Vital or Protection Creams to either the steering wheel or shifter as they leave a slight tacky feel.

For the plastic/vinyl (pretty much anything that isn't leather) I maintain with Einszett Cockpit. I love this stuff it leaves a completely OEM finish - you absolutely cannot tell you have used anything.

I have both leatherique and leather armor. The only possible advantage I would give leatherique is I have seen it do wonders restoring very, very old cracked leather, but fortunately I do not own any cars with leather like this.

Other than this leatherique is smelly and messy and from my research the way its been advertised to work isnt possible with modern, sealed leather which makes me a bit wary.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I love Zaino products and they leave an OEM finish and smell great, does anyone have something that's similar?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

gonna try leatherique when i get hte M i think
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
gonna try leatherique when i get hte M i think
Only thing that makes me think twice is the last post says "leatherique is smelly and messy" and that doesn't bode well for keeping the car OEM in finish and smell.
      12-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

true i heard good things tho gonna check out detailers domain
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you getting a clear bra and opti coat when you get your car?
      12-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
you getting a clear bra and opti coat when you get your car?
no but i get all my detailing stuff from them anyway..

are you doing that?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
leather masters ! not leatherique... i heard good things about leather master
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no but i get all my detailing stuff from them anyway..

are you doing that?
yea, thinking about it since I will go the track and a clear bra will save me from knicks / debris. opti-coat just sounds like a good idea. less waxing over and over.
      12-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

I use leatherique regularly. I found out the leather in our M3 is exceptionally soft and as such, will wear at a much faster pace if not taken care of immediately. I conditioned my new car as soon as I got it as well as an outside prep.

I found out it's best to use leatherique on a monthly bases. Towards the end of the month, the leather is already pretty darn oily. Using leatherique will remove the oils as well reducing the glossy sheen from the oil. If this is too much hassle, you can do it every 3 months but I highly recommend once a month.

-John

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0