BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

E92-lighting

06-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #23
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Steve Dinan said on interview that the % safety margin that BMW overdesigns their cars parts is 20% for M cars, he claims they've seen this number model after model. This is for a 120kmiles to failure criteria ( All those stage 2-3 SC's M3 with stock internals or inadequately upgraded are reducing their lifetime).

Well first off, some of us intend to keep their cars longer than that. 120k isn't high. Second Dinan sees their modding philsophy as close to bmw factory as possible but their experience is predominantly from practical trial and error which never has the clearvoyance of design engineering all encompassing simulations at today's computing tools power. I am not talking about tuning optimisation software who concern themselves with performance gain versus engine knock and exhaust sensor data but engine full finite elements 3D mechanical and thermodynamical simulations on professional workstation computers.

An ECU tune is what 8-10 hp versus +20% would be +82 hp. So it may seem reasonnably safe. But that statement is only backed by a 50k warranty. Better than nothing. And that is with the most established name in BMW tuning. Then there is half dozen of other names that offers not much if any warranty.
Still didnt really address any of my points. Dinan "only" offers a 50k mile warranty...well so does BMW

But then again, most people who get their cars tuned accept the fact that it comes with warranty risk. Still havent seen anyone post on here that their engine blew up from a tune...
      06-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
izzyM3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

A bit off topic here. What's the least cheapest way to find out if my newly bought used m3 is tuned besides my butt dyno suspecting it?
      06-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
gatorfast
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM3 View Post
A bit off topic here. What's the least cheapest way to find out if my newly bought used m3 is tuned besides my butt dyno suspecting it?
Have one of the popular tuners read your ecu. They will tell you if it is tuned or not.

If it has obvious things like cold start delete and cold start tach limitation then its tuned.
      06-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
AlpineV8

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 DCT

Forgive my ignorance but what is "cold start delete"?
      06-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #27
Superfly_M3
Captain

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what is "cold start delete"?
Cold start delete is when you don't have a cold start. Its that part where your car rumbles a lot and makes lots of noise for about 90 seconds when started for the first time after overnight or has been turned off for longer periods during the day
      06-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #28
sachaja

Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Tune impact on the "power button"

Do these tunes eliminate the effect of the power button ? For example I like the idea of having more throttle play when I'm just cruising around and a more sensitve throttle when I get serious . I wouldn't want to loose that option
      06-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #29
Superfly_M3
Captain

Drives: 2011 M3

^ That option stays, although the sensitivity of the "power" setting is remapped - in most cases for the better.
Of course you can ask a tuner to customize it for you, if they are willing to do this instead of stamping everyone with the same generic tune.
      06-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
e92livin
Captain

Drives: M3

For N/A I would go Evolve, BPM or Gintani
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Hankook RS-3 |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon Variant 2 Splitter|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot|
e92livin is offline   Canada
      06-23-2014, 01:18 AM   #31
AlpineV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Cold start delete is when you don't have a cold start. Its that part where your car rumbles a lot and makes lots of noise for about 90 seconds when started for the first time after overnight or has been turned off for longer periods during the day
Ah that's what I suspected. Is there a benefit to having the delete? Seems logical that the car would rev higher while cold but then I guess 90 seconds really isn't all the long. I usually give my car about a couple min to warm up before driving and then take it easy until the rpm's slider hits normal.
      06-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #32
gatorfast
Colonel

Quote:
Ah that's what I suspected. Is there a benefit to having the delete? Seems logical that the car would rev higher while cold but then I guess 90 seconds really isn't all the long. I usually give my car about a couple min to warm up before driving and then take it easy until the rpm's slider hits normal.
No benefit to removing cold start other than less sound. Many people with loud aftermarket exhausts choose the cold start delete option so they dont wake up the neighborhood when leaving for work in the morning.

I would also suggest perusing the owners manual as it specifically states not to start your car and let it sit to warm up...
      06-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
Quote:
No benefit to removing cold start other than less sound. Many people with loud aftermarket exhausts choose the cold start delete option so they dont wake up the neighborhood when leaving for work in the morning.

I would also suggest perusing the owners manual as it specifically states not to start your car and let it sit to warm up...
+1

Aside from that, the car does run more smoothly with it turned off as ignition timing is severely retarded during this cycle (plugs fire after top dead center to raise EGTs, along w/ the camshaft phasing).

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      06-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #34
AlpineV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
+1

Aside from that, the car does run more smoothly with it turned off as ignition timing is severely retarded during this cycle (plugs fire after top dead center to raise EGTs, along w/ the camshaft phasing).

Copy that.
      06-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #35
Prestigefrzn
Private First Class

Drives: 11' M3

I recently had the Active Autowerke software installed on my car. I must say it was a night and day difference. The car felt less restricted especially in the lower rpm range. I will be making a thread about my review in the next day or two. Miami weather sucks so I haven't been able to really get on it
      06-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #36
AlpineV8

Thoughts on THIS ?
      06-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #37
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 10|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Thoughts on THIS ?
Uh he owns a 325 and 335 and maintains them so he's the source for an m3 tune?
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      06-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #38
AlpineV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Uh he owns a 325 and 335 and maintains them so he's the source for an m3 tune?
lol I did notice that as well but tuning software is just tuning software. Maybe he needs a few more garage tunes before he can afford what he's working on? I mean I doubt most Ferrari mechanics are driving F430's
      06-24-2014, 02:19 AM   #39
Mike Benvo

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8
Thoughts on THIS ?
That's transmission software, not engine. It's funny that thinks he knows what software other companies use.

I had a customer come in the other day that he did footwell module programming on, lights didn't work properly and even lost the check control in the I drive. But it's fixed now

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
      06-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #40
AlpineV8

Quote:
That's transmission software, not engine. It's funny that thinks he knows what software other companies use.

I had a customer come in the other day that he did footwell module programming on, lights didn't work properly and even lost the check control in the I drive. But it's fixed now
Mike true story! I emailed him to ask specifically about the tune and he confirmed it was only the transmission tune. (Can it really be that big of a difference?)

Are you still in so cal? I noticed Matt is listed as out of state and he did my ECU flash on my old E90. Maybe I will come and see you if so.
      06-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #41
Mike Benvo

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8
Quote:

Mike true story! I emailed him to ask specifically about the tune and he confirmed it was only the transmission tune. (Can it really be that big of a difference?)

Are you still in so cal? I noticed Matt is listed as out of state and he did my ECU flash on my old E90. Maybe I will come and see you if so.
In SoCal, come visit. I'm sure we'll work out something to your liking and you'll drive off with a smile and say "I should have done this sooner"