BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Exhaust hanger bolt broken

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So let's see here, maybe about a day ago I was parking my e92 m3 that I have owned for about a week or so now in my garage when I noticed one of my exhaust tips hanging lower than the other side. To be specific it was the exhaust pipes on the driver side, I then looked underneath the car and noticed the exhaust hanger loose holding onto nothing as the bolt that it was bolted onto snapped off of what I am assuming is the frame of the car. I took the car to a local muffler shop in my area and they are one of the best and the guy stated it was a very simple fix of just welding the bolt back onto the frame of the car the problem was if there were any padding materials or plastic panels that are above of where the bolt is going to be welded back onto they would need to be removed as any plastic material or stirofoam material would catch on fire from such heat, which to me makes a lot of sense and didn't want to risk it. Assuming it might take me max 15-20 minutes to strip the driver side trunk area just wondering is there anything electrical such as wires or cables I will want to be careful with during the stripping process? Tried searching but only found pics of already stripped interiors lol will try and get a pictures after work
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

Here is a picture I took at lunch

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniomg43 View Post
Here is a picture I took at lunch

That's weird, the exhaust shouldn't be attached like that at all which explains why it broke. The hanger should be attached with two bolts. What kind of aftermarket exhaust are you running?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect View Post
That's weird, the exhaust shouldn't be attached like that at all which explains why it broke. The hanger should be attached with two bolts. What kind of aftermarket exhaust are you running?

The car came with a magnaflow exhaust, when I first got the car I looked everywhere underneath the car and everything looked fine. Never did I once notice there was only 1 bolt till I saw a picture of a stock exhaust and noticed two bolts, so maybe assuming it was to much weight for the one bolt causing it to snap off. As well the other side is only being held on by one bolt as well so maybe Ill have to look into re enforcing it if not might have the same issue again.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

how do you like the magna flow? And does it sound ok?
      08-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniomg43 View Post
The car came with a magnaflow exhaust, when I first got the car I looked everywhere underneath the car and everything looked fine. Never did I once notice there was only 1 bolt till I saw a picture of a stock exhaust and noticed two bolts, so maybe assuming it was to much weight for the one bolt causing it to snap off. As well the other side is only being held on by one bolt as well so maybe Ill have to look into re enforcing it if not might have the same issue again.
Yeah, judging from that current mount set up it seems that there's a lot of side to side force rather than up and down on the the bolt. Getting access to get them welded back wasn't hard if I remember correctly. You can get access to it after removing the heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

So after maybe 15 minutes was able to strip the interior from anything that might catch on fire during the welding process which that took maybe 5 minutes very easy job.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
how do you like the magna flow? And does it sound ok?

Don't mind it, I got it with the car so way better than stock. It doesn't have that raspy sound which is what I like it has more of just a deep sound it does sound really good from outside. In the exhaust clip I was revving to about 3k didn't want to piss of my neighbors lol I am looking into test pipes to see if I can get some rasp out of the exhaust

http://videos-f-1.ak.instagram.com/h...64139266_n.mp4
Appreciate 0