BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

B7 RS4 vs. E90 M3

Opinions? M3 would be MT. 07 RS4 versus 2008 M3.
Thanks
Sorry if repost, on phone and can't search
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Unless you want the AWD, M3 wins around the track every time. Also, it isn't direct injected so no carbon build up. Google that before you consider the RS4.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Interior is much more dated if that matters... I looked into the RS4 as well when I decided to let my E46 M3 go, but I liked the M better.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. I like the AWD for New England winters but M3 is a superior car. It also has much more aftermarket going for it. Thanks for the part about carbon build up.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

M3 does quite well in the snow with winter tires, and even all seasons. I've been running Continental DWS this winter without issue.

Also considered the RS4. Carbon build up, and suspension (DRC) issues.

E90 is a superior dry weather performer in every way.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

was in the same boat as you guys.
living in NY/NJ, I also considered quattro to be a big +.

I'm a big sedan guy, my next car HAD to be a sedan + 6MT, and didn't even consider E92.
My choices were C63 although automatic, mint used RS4, or E90 M3.

Fortunately my friends had C63 and a B7 S4 (not RS4), so had chance to drive them several times

C63 was awesome power, loved the sound, but the automatic was just pathetic. I remember my friend going thru a set of tires every 7K miles, it was dangerous and almost annoying to daily drive in light rain or snow. seats were very uncomfortable in long drive cruise (heavy bolsters like M3 but while M3 cushion is soft Merc cushion is very hard). But really, that automatic disappointed me so much...I mean it's fast but all I can do is gas or brake, I can do that in a range rover supercharged...

RS4 was def a rare car, and i personally still love the B7 rs4 design. Especially with the euro seats and euro Lambo styled steering wheel, i think it looks amazing. But those suspension and engine carbon build up issues were always present in ALL rs4s. When I drove the S4 many times, it def felt planted on the road, but that does not mean it will carve through corners well. man...like many magazines said, this car understeers so much even on a local spirited driving condition, i remember thinking i'd rather be in my old acura tsx than this. I also remember this car lapping 8 or 9 seconds behind the same engined 4.2 R8. This is a good example of a great masterpiece engine ruined by a poor chassis.

Ended up with my dream car, e90 m3. Car drives amazing, still having hard time with mpg, but the point is that every time i drive it i really enjoy the experience. great seats, great CIC i drive, great 6MT, almost too sensitive engine response (i turn power button off on local roads now), a great chassis (big plus compared to RS4) for track or tuning capability etc etc.... went on a 1600 miile trip with 4 ppl, was a great trip. car must stay in garage when snowing but hey, I can't ask for everything. I'd rather have the BEST rwd 6mt sports sedan than a GOOD 4wd sports sedan.
      01-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
limerockpark1of50
BMW M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Lime rock park M3

For the record, the M3 came in second place 3 yrs running only to be beat by Aston Martin and I'm talking about every exotic car out there from the Ferrari 458 to the corvette zr1. BMW M3 on A track cannot be compared. There built like lions and I'm not knocking the other cars infact I love them but still facts are facts!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep

I can easily see RS4 being rarer. It was only 07/08 in states. I feel that the M3 can be a bit ostentatious and most people will think of you differently when you say you have one. The RS4 is more under the radar and to be honest most people know ///M and AMG but S and especially RS Audi's are pretty uncommon. BMW and Merc have been bringing ///M and AMG to US for over a decade. Audi has only had C5 RS6, B7 RS4, and the new B8 RS5.

I saw a review by Chris Harris and he talked about how great the RS4 was compared to its newer Euro version and C63. Matt Farah said that it has a much lower douche bag factor than the "other German sports sedan". I am not trying to bash M3. I know it is the better car, just maybe not for winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quattro is flat out unbeatable in bad weather situations, especially snow. If you're dailying the car, and do a lot of commuting in snow, it would be hard not to want an RS4 over the M.

The carbon build up is definitely an issue. I wouldn't care about suspension cause you should upgrade it all anyway. The 4.2FSI is a great engine, but frankly I find it underpowered. I was pretty pissed when Audi put a NA engine in an RS badged car. I think history may soon suggest that the B7 will be the worst RS badged car Audi has built.

Personally I don't normally like the aesthetics of B7 Audis, but the RS4 with those massive fenders pull it off. Kind of like the RS6 pulled off the alien jellybean thing the C5 A6 had.

having spent a bit of time behind the wheel of an E92 M3 lately, I agree with what others have said, dry handling there is no comparison. The M3 is just an awesome car. For the same money I'd do the M3.

(and keep a stage 3 B5 S4 in the garage)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
M3 does quite well in the snow with winter tires, and even all seasons. I've been running Continental DWS this winter without issue.

This was exactly my reasoning when I was looking to get my E90. I really liked the car and didn't care as much about outright speed, especially since it is more accessible in the RS4. Other cons for the Audi:

-Poor steering feel (in comparison to the M3)
-Small back seat to the point of almost being unusable, esp if you're a tall driver
-Center console for me was too wide, interfered too much with my right leg
-Much older platform than the E9x and it showed everywhere

Overall a great car but even though I daily drive the M3 sun, rain or snow, the choice was clear.
      01-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep

I would love an M3, but I now have a requirement that it has to be AWD and quattro fits that.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

If you insist on that, then you obviously made your choice between these two. FWIW, I take my car into the mountains here to go skiing and never had any issues. Good snows make all the difference.
      01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I had an RS4 for nearly 3 yrs before trading in for my new '12 E92...

M3 handles better, and has more steering feel. Both engines sound great in their own way. M3 screams, RS a more deeper traditional V8 sound.
RS was better on fuel which I find bizzare when it's 4wd, and heavier.
I think the RS may just pip the beemer on class, especially the interior.

Which do I prefer? Well when it's dry, i make an excuse to go out for the hell of it in the M3 as it's just so good and exciting to drive. I never felt that urge with the RS.
I only miss the Audi in this weather as you can use more of the power and get traction.

Audi is more stealth and only turned heads to those who knew what it was. My M3 draws more attention and admiring glances...

Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Santorini View Post
Audi is more stealth and only turned heads to those who knew what it was. My M3 draws more attention and admiring glances...

Nick
It's bound to with that Nogaro Blue lookalike paintjob ya got there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uiop View Post
I would love an M3, but I now have a requirement that it has to be AWD and quattro fits that.
mountain passes in blizzards?

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had an RS4 for nearly 3 yrs before trading in for my new '12 E92...

M3 handles better, and has more steering feel. Both engines sound great in their own way. M3 screams, RS a more deeper traditional V8 sound.
RS was better on fuel which I find bizzare when it's 4wd, and heavier.
I think the RS may just pip the beemer on class, especially the interior.

Which do I prefer? Well when it's dry, i make an excuse to go out for the hell of it in the M3 as it's just so good and exciting to drive. I never felt that urge with the RS.
I only miss the Audi in this weather as you can use more of the power and get traction.

Nick
I like the whole "sleeper" thing even though is has the flared fenders, honeycomb grill, etc. and of course the RS badge over the A or even S. I want to get an E92 M3 in college, once new F80 is out. I think it is good that RS4 isn't as flashy as I want a so called mid-size sports sedan with the performance that I could track and take to school but not be judged for what I drive.

Does anyone have any (U.S.) production numbers for these cars (not that it matters)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
mountain passes in blizzards?
Splitting the cost with parents, require AWD. I figure it's better to get RS4 over 335xi. Sure N54 has turbo upgrades going for it but 4.2 V8 is great and there aren't millions out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerockpark1of50 View Post
For the record, the M3 came in second place 3 yrs running only to be beat by Aston Martin and I'm talking about every exotic car out there from the Ferrari 458 to the corvette zr1. BMW M3 on A track cannot be compared. There built like lions and I'm not knocking the other cars infact I love them but still facts are facts!
lay off the koolaid.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
My M3 draws more attention and admiring glances...

Nick
that's b/c you have Santorini blue!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #21
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Honestly, if you really need the AWD, I would consider a B8 S4 before a B7 RS4. Like others have said, the DRC and carbon buildup were major issues in the B7 RS4 and the performance hit going to a B8 S4 is not as drastic as you would think. The B8 S4 is a beast for what it is and what it competes against (335). Software upgrades to the S4 would get you near M3/RS4 power but Audi is cracking down on mods so you might have issues with warranty if you go that route.
      01-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Note also my DRC was renewd under extended 5 yr warrantly. The suspension on the RS is crap in my opinion. Some owners ditch the DRC and go aftermarket set up. Take an RS up a wide road and do some mild slaloms at about 50mph. Feels quite sloppy compared to doing the same in M3.
RS have superior brakes though. 8 pot front callipers. New front disks and pads are a snip under £1200 here in uk...

Try both cars mate

Nick
Appreciate 0