BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Very Disappointed: 08' M3

I have been chomping at the bit after being tantalized over the lengthy Video clips of the 08’ M3.

I love my 335i to the point of sex with it, and thought Jeez, the M3 MUST be twice as nice... Then I read the Edmunds article
(http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=121566?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*[/) and a few other articles, and it sounds like a total bomb. A 100% DUD. I have never owned or driven the older M3, but it seems like every owner has said it was, or is, their favorite sports car in that money range.
I paid $41,500 for my sport 335i. To pay $20k (or higher) for an M that also gets 11mpg? The M is not even getting the same praise as the 335i, which as been 100% positive. These articles about the M3 are like 80% negative....
I don't need to read anymore.
I'll either keep my 335i at the end of next years lease end, or save some money and get a ProCeeded 135i, putting $15-$20 BACK in my pocket and keep up with this new M3… which seems to be a sad piece of sh*t to have an M badge gracing it.

With so much competition on it's doorstep waiting to bitch slap it, if they can, the new M3 seems to have come to that front door with a shabby bathrobe on, and Vaseline already smeared on it's butthole for easy entry...

This is a day and age of lightening fast information delivery. 2-3 articles from reputable magazines have already said it's lacking and not anything overly special, killing a LOT of sales before it is even introduced?! The M3’s competition has been begging and hoping for a mistake like this from BMW. The competitions engineers have been working over time to de-throne the King, pleading with the engineering Gods for a mishap from Beemer. Looks like BMW handed it to them on a platter. Idiots. Maybe they should have got out of the 135i hanger and spent a little more time doing their Kingpin flagship a little more justice.

Now they say their are talking about an "Upgraded," meaning more expensive M3 to just get you the M3 you wanted in the first place? What will that cost? $75,000? Porsche and Audi are going to LOVE the new M3. Thanks BMW! Love you too!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

How sad. People are actually making final judgements about this car already without even driving it themselves. Reviews are there to guide and advise buyers decisions, not make them for you.

Get behind the wheel of a new M3 when it hits the shores stateside, drive it around for a bit and then come back and tell us if you're all "very disappointed."
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Man whats with these negative threads today...

Dude i think your jumping the gun a bit by saying that the M3 is getting raped...test drive the new M3 and 135i in 8 months then decide for yourself which you think is more fun to drive.

I guess for today everyone is a psychic and car expert...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think we're jumping the gun

;

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 11-20-2007 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

pre-release vs. post-release reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
There are 3 articles right off the bat saying the same thing.

They could have easily had orgasm's in the thing like they did the 335i.

Every article ever written about the 335i says it is the best thing on 4 wheels. One mag even went so far as to say it's was the best all around car one can buy.

In comparison, the M3 gets toasted by 3 different reviews. When you look at it from two grand openings that had completely different results, one has to give SOME cred to the mags....

I am notorious for being dubious about mag tests... but this is a red herring.

first off, a red herring is a fact or element that leads you ASTRAY or diverts you from the truth. in other words, if these reviews were red herrings, the car itself would be phenomenal.

and while i agree that credit has to be given to magazines reviews, your post fails to take into account one major factor: the vast majority of the glowing articles you've read on the 335i were written after its official release. the M3 has yet to be released, and as such BMW has not yet had time to make adjustments to the car based off of press feedback. also, these reviewers had a very limited period of time to spend with the car, and as such could never give you as thorough and accurate a review as one that was given post-release.

mixed reviews will be coming in. if you're the impetuous type, and you feel shaken, get off the boat now. myself, i'll be waiting for the post-release reviews.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: B7 Audi RS4

The M3 is a finished article. I doubt there will be any adjustments. BMW is not going to upset the production schedule to recalibrate something as fundamental as steering. Heck, M3 is about to enter full scale production for Europe for September delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
There are 3 articles right off the bat saying the same thing.

They could have easily had orgasm's in the thing like they did the 335i.

Every article ever written about the 335i says it is the best thing on 4 wheels. One mag even went so far as to say it's was the best all around car one can buy.

In comparison, the M3 gets toasted by 3 different reviews. When you look at it from two grand openings that had completely different results, one has to give SOME cred to the mags....

I am notorious for being dubious about mag tests... but this is a red herring.
Nonsense. No point in comparing the initial 335 reviews with the M3 reviews. The reviewers had completely different expectations when testing the two cars. The 335 reviewers were measuring it up against the other $40k cars in its class and were rather surprised. It sounds like the M3 reviewers went into it thinking they were going to find a trackcar or a racecar.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
The M3 is a finished article. I doubt there will be any adjustments. BMW is not going to upset the production schedule to recalibrate something as fundamental as steering. Heck, M3 is about to enter full scale production for Europe for September delivery.
No such thing as a finished article. It all depends on how badly BMW think something needs to be changed as long as it is one of the soft variables such as power steering calibration. That can happen even during a production cycle. Minor problems like that are fixed during production all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

UK mags were comparing it to the M3 and the E46 in CS form was still good enough to best the RS4 in EVO. So to suggest the reviewers were simply expecting it to be a racer or track car is silly, they're merely putting it in contrast with the current BMW benchmark, its predecessor.
      07-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
UK mags were comparing it to the M3 and the E46 in CS form was still good enough to best the RS4 in EVO. So to suggest the reviewers were simply expecting it to be a racer or track car is silly, they're merely putting it in contrast with the current BMW benchmark, its predecessor.
I am referring to the articles that put a negative spin on things. The EVO review was very postive. Pay attention to the tone in the other articles. They admit that the new engine delivers more performance, and then start whining about how "it is not as angry." As if the engine is supposed to self-destruct while going up the revs, and that's what really counts. What's that supposed to mean? Some of what I've read is simply authors trying to be dramatic and hanging onto the known. This happens all the time with new product releases. That tone will most likely change with time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

Performance isn't everything though. Angry most likely refers to the tone and the character of it, maybe the V8 is very smooth and the straight-6 is a little harsher? Doesn't have anything to do with performance.
      07-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Performance isn't everything though. Angry most likely refers to the tone and the character of it, maybe the V8 is very smooth and the straight-6 is a little harsher? Doesn't have anything to do with performance.
I am just referring to the negative reviewers desperately wanting to be confronted with a CSL-like car, and consequently, being disappointed. The fact is they were not there to test drive the next generation CSL. They can do that in 3 years or whenever it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

No, they went there to test drive M's latest and greatest car and they didn't find that, did they. What they got was a car compromised to gain more sales and that can't be denied.
      07-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yessir'

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I think we have been a little too harsh on the new M3. It's going to be a wonderful machine and certainly more car than most people can handle, including myself. It's disappointing that it doesn't quite live up to its own legend but it's silly to think it's not going to blow your pants off.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
Just_me
Captain
Rep
Drives: RWD

I wouldnt be surprised if every review is going to praise the C63 and RS4 in future battles a lot more than the M3 V8.

Even though this is initial reviews there should not be complains on steering and that the car is soft compared to E46. My biggest concern is the steering feeling since that is what reviewers are complaining on. I just hope all this cars being tested are pre-production cars and that there is room for an improvment until the car reach the customers.

Later there there will be a RS5 and the rumours is that the car is getting 450hp, if thats true the M3 isnt only softer car its also a underpowered car.

Oh mama, Im so freaking nervous for the future...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
..which seems to be a sad piece of sh*t to have an M badge gracing it...
I think this is the single most stupid thing I have read on this board.
It made me laugh out loud when I read it.
      07-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

If you aren't worried about a 414bhp-propelled car having a remote connection to what its front wheels are doing then is the M3 the car for you, in all honesty? Would you really want to be mid-corner and not know exactly what was going on, with that weight acting as a strong force too?
      07-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
First of all, since you love your E92 335i that much, I wouldn't be deluded into thinking all those negative articles do not completely pertain to your car as well. After all, we're talking the same chassis and several shared components here.

Engine, drivetrain, and other differences aside, the half-empty/half-full metaphor applies here as the M3 is more apt to receive higher scrutiny based on the company it keeps competition-wise.

Critics are more likely to be forgiving when evaluating bang for the buck with the 335i.

Of course, to be the devil's advocate, one wonders if the ultimate cost of the ultimate 3 machine is more than the additional sum of its parts, especially with the terrible gas mileage it gets.
      07-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #20
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe....

;

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 11-20-2007 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #21
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
First of all, since you love your E92 335i that much, I wouldn't be deluded into thinking all those negative articles do not completely pertain to your car as well. After all, we're talking the same chassis and several shared components here.

Engine, drivetrain, and other differences aside, the half-empty/half-full metaphor applies here as the M3 is more apt to receive higher scrutiny based on the company it keeps competition-wise.

Critics are more likely to be forgiving when evaluating bang for the buck with the 335i.

Of course, to be the devil's advocate, one wonders if the ultimate cost of the ultimate 3 machine is more than the additional sum of its parts, especially with the terrible gas mileage it gets.
      07-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

True

;

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 11-20-2007 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0