BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Not so sure about Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

I just installed a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds on a set of stock 18" wheels I bought off a forum member. Tire Rack used to suggest these as winter tires for M3s, in 235/40/18 and 255/40/18. That's where I got mine. Apparently, they don't have the 235/40/18 any more, so they're not suggesting these as an M3 tire. But they do have the 245/40/18, which will fit the fronts just fine.

These are replacing the PS2s that came on the rims and were pretty close to the wear bars. Anyway, I should not be making any judgments yet, since I have all of about 50 miles on them, and I've never had a comparable tire. But I'm not particularly blown away so far. OTOH, at least I don't have to worry about the temp being too low any more. Yesterday it was about 35 degrees and raining, and I would NOT have ventured out on the old PS2s in that.

I guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

What are you not "blown away about"? They are in no way comparable to the PS2. They have decent dry grip for a performance winter tire, the real benefits come when it starts snowing. If I lived in DC, I doubt I would have gone with full snow tires anyway.
      11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

You're comparing a snow tire vs a summer tire?

Why not compare which is more sour, a lemon or peach?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
You're comparing a snow tire vs a summer tire?

Why not compare which is more sour, a lemon or peach?
mmmmm peaches.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
mmmmm peaches.
I like peach pie.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

I had these on my previous m3 and they were great for the winter and snow... they are obviously not meant to be compared to a summer tire!! lol!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
I had these on my previous m3 and they were great for the winter and snow... they are obviously not meant to be compared to a summer tire!! lol!
Hey, thanks. As per the OP, it's my first set of winters so I have no idea what to expect. I'm really glad to be off the summer tires because the temps are in the 20s in the morning now. My other BMW coupe has Pirelli summers on it, and it's consigned to the garage for the season now.

Are they supposed to give me a bit of road vibe when I roll up past 65MPH, or did I get a little bit of a bad wheel balance?

Is it normal for them to stick less in the wet at 35 degrees than nearly worn-out summers did at 70 degrees? I'm not saying they're flaky, I'm just noticing they break out more than I'm used to.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Hey, thanks. As per the OP, it's my first set of winters so I have no idea what to expect. I'm really glad to be off the summer tires because the temps are in the 20s in the morning now. My other BMW coupe has Pirelli summers on it, and it's consigned to the garage for the season now.

Are they supposed to give me a bit of road vibe when I roll up past 65MPH, or did I get a little bit of a bad wheel balance?

Is it normal for them to stick less in the wet at 35 degrees than nearly worn-out summers did at 70 degrees? I'm not saying they're flaky, I'm just noticing they break out more than I'm used to.
yeah they're a bit noisy .. that's normal.. they will stick less then summer tires at warmer temps ... but they will remain sticky even in the 20s and with ice on the road.. Seattle public works does a shitty job of clearing snow and so there'll always be 2-3" of ice on roads and I was daily driving to work and back on these... no problem..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Noise is normal but vibration not normal and would probably be due to balance or a wheel issue. Wet traction in appropriate temps winter vs summer tire will be better with summer tire (usually). If you wanted winter performance tires, you made a great choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

What are you expecting? You just put on narrower tires with a deep snow tire tread compound that cannot take much heat. I run those tires on stock wheels and they are pretty good as far as snow tires go. I have had a lot worse handling snow tires on other cars. There are better handling snow tires, but they will be worse in the snow.

It is a tradeoff. Forget about go kart handling in the winter. But with PS2, forget about driving in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

My winter setup in our area uses Conti ExtremeContact DWS which are UHP all seasons. I get much better dry traction than winters, better wet grip, and significantly reduced snow traction (as evidenced last year when I barely made It home in a snowstorm). Anyway, I judged the all seasons to be a better compromise in the area...

Even with these, I get less feedback than with the PS2, they are more squidgy, but also a bit more progressive when breaking traction. And it did take more tries to get them balanced, not sure if it's a tire quality problem...

To your problems: definitely get a better wheel balance done, using RoadForce. I got my track and winters done at Road Racing Technologies in VA, reasonably priced with impeccable results.

When I get my winters installed, you're more than welcome to take a test drive for comparison purposes. Just send me a PM...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
I agree - I'm using the Winter Sport 3D in the 235/40 and 255/40 18" sizes on my M3 and this setup performs well in the winter. Dry and wet grip are obviously not at the levels of the PS2 but they're decent and predictable - much better than an ice/deep snow winter tire!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

I have 2 sets of them one is on my sisters 328i she drove in the snow we got in north nj last week she said they were awesome..

second set is sitting in my garage waiting for my M3 to get delivered
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for the voices of experience. I have no frame of ref. I'll look forward to settling in with these (when it gets cold enough to drive them again. Do you know how to drive December weather back up into the 50's? Put winter tires on your car at the end of November.)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
My winter setup in our area uses Conti ExtremeContact DWS which are UHP all seasons. I get much better dry traction than winters, better wet grip, and significantly reduced snow traction (as evidenced last year when I barely made It home in a snowstorm). Anyway, I judged the all seasons to be a better compromise in the area...

Even with these, I get less feedback than with the PS2, they are more squidgy, but also a bit more progressive when breaking traction. And it did take more tries to get them balanced, not sure if it's a tire quality problem...

To your problems: definitely get a better wheel balance done, using RoadForce. I got my track and winters done at Road Racing Technologies in VA, reasonably priced with impeccable results.

When I get my winters installed, you're more than welcome to take a test drive for comparison purposes. Just send me a PM...
Thanks ADC, I hear you. I actually have a new set of those mounted on my 2009 E83, and they are a good compromise tire. On an E83, they're even good enough for pretty nasty snow. Hope to see you around town.
Appreciate 0