BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #45
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
Is it really that bad? I don't want a loud exhaust and especially don't want highway droning.
Not bad at all and is the quietest setup you can have for cruising on the highway. With all four cats gone highway cruising sounds stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #46
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post

I dunno...if this sounds fine to you, then go ahead. Not my cup of tea though
OH GOD MAKE IT STOP. video proof of what everyone's been sayin'. don't do oem mod & test pipes, my god.
      08-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #47
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Not bad at all and is the quietest setup you can have for cruising on the highway. With all four cats gone highway cruising sounds stock.
I've talked to some experts, you won't have any problems:

Any fellow Canadians should note that you won't have any problems with emissions if you have a full exhaust (so long as you have @ least high flow cats). An expert told me this, he has an e46 full exhaust (headers-mid-magnaflow rear) with high flows, passes emissions every time. For e9X owners you just have to get the tune to remove the CEL light & you're fine.
      08-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #48
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
OH GOD MAKE IT STOP. video proof of what everyone's been sayin'. don't do oem mod & test pipes, my god.
OEM mod would be even worse! That's stock exhaust I think
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #49
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OEM mod would be even worse! That's stock exhaust I think
good eye! Definitely not liking that sound AT ALL. Maybe it was just the recording/echoing but way too raspy/rattly for my liking. Sounded better under load though. Still too high pitched for my taste
      08-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #50
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
good eye! Definitely not liking that sound AT ALL. Maybe it was just the recording/echoing but way too raspy/rattly for my liking. Sounded better under load though. Still too high pitched for my taste
I'm pretty familiar with ridin135 car which used to have no cat + stock exhaust and it didn't sound like that (if I remember correctly). It didn't sound like a tin can at all, just similar to OEM but turned up a little.

Obviously it wasn't loud enough so he went with Megan's. If I were you, I'd go for TP's, and if you don't like it, then buy another exhaust such as the Megan's, which won't cost you an arm and a leg.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #51
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm pretty familiar with ridin135 car which used to have no cat + stock exhaust and it didn't sound like that (if I remember correctly). It didn't sound like a tin can at all, just similar to OEM but turned up a little.

Obviously it wasn't loud enough so he went with Megan's. If I were you, I'd go for TP's, and if you don't like it, then buy another exhaust such as the Megan's, which won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Ya that's what I'm gonna do! Seems perfect for people who want cheap power & a little more aggressive sound. And if (lol, when) the mod bug bites again maybe I'll go HFC xpipe & move onto suspension/brakes.
      08-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #52
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought the megan drones with test pipes. I'm not sure what the next step up is in price, but the $1800 dinan rear section is cheaper than most of the big names and definitely doesn't drone.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #53
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

I dunno...if this sounds fine to you, then go ahead. Not my cup of tea though
MUCH different, as secondary cats and resonators were removed with installation of the X-Pipe in that video.

Here's the OEM Exhaust Mod, stock X-Pipe:

Catless X-Pipe (no resonators) and OEM Exhaust Mod

And personal favorite, Macht Schnell Bypass Track Pipes and M-Performance Exhaust:

Hope this helps.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 08-21-2013 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #54
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought the megan drones with test pipes. I'm not sure what the next step up is in price, but the $1800 dinan rear section is cheaper than most of the big names and definitely doesn't drone.
To be honest, you'll have to ask actual owners. I bought my used Eisenmann Race for $1900. There are some good options around
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #55
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I really really like the sound of the m perf with test pipes. A little rasp never hurt anyone!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #56
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No drone what so ever and that's with all four cats gone. I have been in a car with just the primary cats gone with Megan and that does not drone either.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #57
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ya that's what I'm gonna do! Seems perfect for people who want cheap power & a little more aggressive sound. And if (lol, when) the mod bug bites again maybe I'll go HFC xpipe & move onto suspension/brakes.
Hfc x pipe is a waste of money if you already have the primaries gone. You will actually lose HP going to hfc but you might not notice it. Either way not worth the entry price on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #58
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hfc x pipe is a waste of money if you already have the primaries gone. You will actually lose HP going to hfc but you might not notice it. Either way not worth the entry price on these cars.
huh, I knew the most restrictive cats were the primaries, didn't think you'd actually LOSE power lol. I agree middle xpipes are extremely cost prohibitive. I could get a really nice used rear for the price of HFC middle.
      08-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #59
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
huh, I knew the most restrictive cats were the primaries, didn't think you'd actually LOSE power lol. I agree middle xpipes are extremely cost prohibitive. I could get a really nice used rear for the price of HFC middle.
You would lose hp going from test pipes to a hfc. Unless you are talking about replacing the secondary cats with a hfc but you will never feel a difference in this change.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #60
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You would lose hp going from test pipes to a hfc. Unless you are talking about replacing the secondary cats with a hfc but you will never feel a difference in this change.
Oh right, obviously. I meant keeping test pipes and then add HFC middle. I hear its about 10-15 middle and what, +20 for the primary cats? So I thought there'd still be power/ sound to be had. But $2k for 10hp? not worth it lol.
      08-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #61
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Oh right, obviously. I meant keeping test pipes and then add HFC middle. I hear its about 10-15 middle and what, +20 for the primary cats? So I thought there'd still be power/ sound to be had. But $2k for 10hp? not worth it lol.
Its not all about peak HP. Some x-pipes are designed much better than others and provide mid-range HP & TQ bumps where the S65 needs it the most. I currently run TP's with Megan (& BPM SII) and love it. I'm looking for more power and volume so i'm volunteering to be the guinea pig to try the MRF pipe out. I'll post before and after dyno runs as well as honest behind the wheel impressions after I get mine.

If you just looking for a cheaper set up that delivers great sound and a noticeable power bump you can not go wrong with the TP + Megan combo. Its quiet when your cruising gingerly but a V8 rumble monster when you get on it. There is a particular "horn" sound that resonate at about 3800-4k rpm that I absolutely LOVE.

If you wait a couple months to make your decision you can buy my current set up off me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #62
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If you know an exhaust shop, that's the cheapest way to go

TP = $400
Cutting the secondaries and adding straight pipes (welded) = $60 (if I remember correctly)
Exhaust (wide range of prices ) = $1900 for me

To me, it's not worth paying $2000 for an X-pipe when I had mine done for under $500 total. But of course everyone has their own opinion on this.

P.S. 10-15hp for secondaries sounds a little optimistic to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #63
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

To me, it's not worth paying $2000 for an X-pipe when I had mine done for under $500 total. But of course everyone has their own opinion on this.

P.S. 10-15hp for secondaries sounds a little optimistic to me.
A decatted OEM x-pipe with its non mandrel bends (which cause big kinks in the pipe) as well as economy merge section is not the same as a well design piece. Not going to even mention better material and less weight as BMW tries to be as cost effective as possible. Any engineering fluids flow class will teach there is a difference.

How big of a difference remains to be seen and that's what i'm going to do the comparison for. A deeper attention to detail is the whole point of modding right? Correcting the compromises the OEM had to make on the production car. If your looking for bang for the buck then, yes there are better options than an x-pipe but if you want more then the extra money is worth it. Individual mods for different individuals
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #64
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
A decatted OEM x-pipe with its non mandrel bends (which cause big kinks in the pipe) as well as economy merge section is not the same as a well design piece. Not going to even mention better material and less weight as BMW tries to be as cost effective as possible. Any engineering fluids flow class will teach there is a difference.

How big of a difference remains to be seen and that's what i'm going to do the comparison for. A deeper attention to detail is the whole point of modding right? Correcting the compromises the OEM had to make on the production car. If your looking for bang for the buck then, yes there are better options than an x-pipe but if you want more then the extra money is worth it. Individual mods for different individuals
Ya the weight savings is nice, the stock exhaust is pretty heavy. Even stainless steel aftermarkets save somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10-20kg lighter depending on what you get. A full titanium is even more
The akro system is like 50% lighter for something like 40kg reduction if memory serves
      08-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #65
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya the weight savings is nice, the stock exhaust is pretty heavy. Even stainless steel aftermarkets save somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10-20kg lighter depending on what you get. A full titanium is even more
The akro system is like 50% lighter for something like 40kg reduction if memory serves
More like 50lbs (23kg) total for Evo and and even a few less for GT4. I like the sound produced with SS over a full Ti system and i'm happy with its weight reduction as well as the price I may end up with a Ti rear to link up with my SS321 (SS+Ti) mid-pipe later down the road when prices drop or a good deal comes my way.

Did you get color match reflectors for your car yet? Would make a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #66
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post

Most of the weight savings comes from removing the OEM muffler, which weighs an insane amount. Switching out the x-pipes will of course save some weight too, but IMHO, pretty negligible. No one is going to feel 20 lbs on the streets.

As for power, it remains to be seen. Dinan claims their midpipes increases 20hp, 20ft/lbs of torque. TP's alone have been known to give you similar kind of gains too. So at that point, is it worth dropping $2700? To some people, absolutely. To me, not really. Especially not when I have my car sounding exactly the way I want it to (that took many tries haha, you know that) and not if all the eye candy is under the car. I'm all for attention to detail, but I also refuse to pay ridiculous ///M taxes when there's minimal returns.

Having said that, I can't wait till you get your x-pipes so that we can do a few comparos!
Appreciate 0