BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
REVIEW|Evolve Automotive GTS DCT Software

INTRODUCTION
In my honest opinion, I think BMW did a pretty nice job when designing and programming the DCT for the E9X M3. Granted when I first got it, it needed some good software revisions from the dealer to get running properly and smoothly, over the past several years it has performed only in great fashion. Despite the blazingly fast upshifts and near perfect rev-matches, it had it's little nuances. I have read that the Euro DCT software actually had features that the US DCT software didn't. When the E92 GTS was released, it became widely known that BMW re-calibrated the software for it's transmission as well.

Like always, as time progresses, many tuners start to find their ways of enhancing our "standard" cars, making nice software tweaks to improve power and drivability. Recently, there has been a lot of buzz of the big tuning companies being able to now remotely tune the DCT DME. After reading many reviews, I was pretty hyped up to finally try a DCT Tune. Unlike some of the other tuning companies, Evolve Automotive was kind enough to offer their Evolve Automotive GTS DCT Tune for free for existing and new clients as a limited time special. My understanding is that most tuners are using the E92 GTS DCT Calibration File as the foundation of their DCT Tunes. I'll be honest in saying that I don't know the nitty gritty details, but what I can expand upon are the differences I've felt compared to the US DCT Software.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS
1) Shifting into Reverse is much quicker with zero lag compared to the US DCT Software. I found that the US DCT Calibration had a very slight hesitancy when shifting in Reverse, not so much the case with the Evolve DCT Software.

2) Moving the gear selector to the right immediately after start up, it defaults to D2 First Gear.

3) Moving the gear selector to the right a second time after start up, it defaults to whatever the last S-mode was, also in First Gear. It has a memory of last used S-mode shift speed. In my case, I prefer S5. This was the primary reason why I wanted a DCT Tune. I hated having to move to S3 and pressing the shift speed button a couple times to S5. Now all I have to do is move the gear selector twice to the right and it's at the setting I want.

4) I noticed that slowing down in 2nd gear to a near complete stop does not have the typical bucking or stuttering. It seems to slow down to a stop in 2nd gear much smoother. I will have to confirm this with more mileage.

5) Shifting at WOT through 1-3rd gear, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be as prevalent of a "soft" redline or slipping of the clutch. Especially in 1st and 2nd, it shifts with much more assertion and aggression. Absolutely instantaneous.

6) Downshift and revmatching is seamless and immediate. When comparing to US DCT Software, I am noticing an improvement more so in the upper RPM with the Evolve DCT Software. I think this will be more appreciated on the track upon hard braking and simultaneous downshifting.

SOFTWARE INTERFACE
Sal@Evolve had to recode my EvolveR cable to become compatible with communicating with the Siemens GS40 DME. His promptness and urgency in reprogramming my cable was impeccable as always. Upon receiving the DCT Calibration and updated EvolveR PC Software, he also included very thorough instructions on how to flash the DCT DME. The interface is essentially the same as the EvolveR PC Software for the MSS60 DME. Very intuitive. Overall flashing process took roughly 5 minutes. After the flashing process, the car started up without a hitch!

VIDEO DEMONSTRATING EVOLVE GTS DCT SOFTWARE

Please watch in 1080p

OVERALL THOUGHTS
The differences pointed out may sound rather minute and silly, but in all sincerity, it makes a difference in the driving experience. From the second you start up the car to driving it hard in different scenarios, it's noticeable. I am so fascinated by these huge strives forward in BMW Tuning because it further refines that stellar job that BMW has achieved. I imagine this DCT tune compounded with my soon-to-be installed Evolve XPipe and Tune will be one hell of a trio! Working with Evolve Automotive to help me mold my cars to where they are is always a pleasurable experience. For those of you with the lightening fast DCT, this is something well worth considering. The nice consideration that Evolve includes it for free for a limited time offering in their MSS60 DME Tune is also a great reason to take the plunge on their product!

Thank you for reading!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Love it, cant wait to pair it up with the evolve test pipes
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
nice write up Flip.. I don't know how you do it with all the stuff you do!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Is this the stock OEM GTS DCT flash? Or is this a Evolve's own DCT flash based on the GTS?

Great review. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Love it, cant wait to pair it up with the evolve test pipes
That will be quite the winning combination for sure!!! I can't wait for my Lightwerkz headlight revamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
nice write up Flip.. I don't know how you do it with all the stuff you do!
Thanks Mark! Decided to flash the car at 1am...was going to go to bed...but said, F it...lets go for a test drive and make a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
Is this the stock OEM GTS DCT flash? Or is this a Evolve's own DCT flash based on the GTS?

Great review. Thanks
I don't know all the finer details that encompass the tune. I'll see if Evolve Automotive can chime in with further details. I do know that in one way or another, it is based off GTS calibration. Whether its customized or not, I'm not sure.

Thank you for enjoying the review!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
I got this uploaded this afternoon and am hitting the track this weekend will get more of an impression of the changes made. But right away it seemed vastly improved. Great review Flip couldnt have described it better my self! Great job Evolve!!
      08-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

sigh...should've gone with evolve
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozaiya View Post
Instead of... ?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Did you guys email Evolve to get this? Or was some email sent out?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff
Quote:
Instead of... ?
instead of other providers who don't offer this for free...?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #11
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
So I am at my dealer here in the UK - they have a new software release for the M3 that looks like it's the same upgrade - mine is getting done tomorrow - another m3 owner in the UK had the update done at his dealer and found the same improvements as mentioned about so probably worth a trip to your dealer!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #12
LDNMaster
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
So I am at my dealer here in the UK - they have a new software release for the M3 that looks like it's the same upgrade - mine is getting done tomorrow - another m3 owner in the UK had the update done at his dealer and found the same improvements as mentioned about so probably worth a trip to your dealer!

Neil
Which dealer is upgrading your software?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #13
BIU
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post

Neil

Before everyone gets confused...

From my understanding there should be 3 "types" of DCT s/w out there:

1) OEM s/w for regular M3 (US/Euro)
2) OEM s/w for M3 GTS (Euro)
3) s/w by tuners (BPM/EAS/Evolve..etc)

I would highly doubt that the dealer is flashing you with the GTS s/w... what you are getting should be the most up-to-date DCT s/w (For regular M3)..

Last edited by BIU; 08-08-2013 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
stevens
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

they wont be, the upgrades done at the dealer target specific hardware and GTS has different DCT hardware to normal M3
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #15
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIU View Post
Before everyone gets confused...

From my understanding there should be 3 "types" of DCT s/w out there:

1) OEM s/w for regular M3 (US/Euro)
2) OEM s/w for M3 GTS (Euro)
3) s/w by tuners (BPM/EAS/Evolve..etc)

I would highly doubt that the dealer is flashing you with the GTS s/w... what you are getting should be the most up-to-date DCT s/w (For regular M3)..
which the tech has told me is now the same version across the M3 GTS and the M3, they have an M3 GTS at my dealer and pulled the data from the car whilst I was there.

It makes sense to me with BMW winding down the E89 code branches having fewer releases will enable them to reduce the cost.

It would be useful to know what version of the software the tuners are using, if only piece of mind, I think there was a post on M3Post last year where a guy had to replace the gearbox and it was something like $12K.

Once mine is done tomorrow morning I'll post up my own review.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #16
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
here is a review from a guy over on cutters who just had his DCT software updated by his dealer - sounds familiar ?

Quote:
Anyway they called me yesterday to say the update was taking longer than anticipated and would not be complete until today. Sure enough I got a call at 10:30 am that the car was complete. I picked her up and the transformation between the early 2011 software and latest I-level is immense. The DCT is truly seamless now, I don't get any aggressive movements from the drivetrain, just a smooth rapid change. Even going to reverse when just coming to a stop happens instantly! The engine also feels like it has more torque! Overall definitely worth the £165 they charged (which will be refunded by the original dealer!).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
form an orderly queue/line M3Posters!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #18
stevens
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I agree it would be nice for the tuners to confirm the version vs the one bmw themsevles are offering to see if it is the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens View Post
they wont be, the upgrades done at the dealer target specific hardware and GTS has different DCT hardware to normal M3
Wrong. Actually, they both have the same hardware except the set of oil filling parts.
More than that: all features which was described in this topic are available through the standard dealership software update. I compared ride on the video vs stock m3 with software E89X-13-03-510. They are the same.
P.s.: sorry for my english

Last edited by Fluffy bastard; 08-08-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
Instead of... ?
Quote:
You stated that you "should have gone with Evolve" which suggests that you had in fact chosen another vendor's DCT software and felt you made a bad choice. I wanted to know what you had gone with and why you thought it was a bad choice - do you have updated non OEM DCT software or were you just adding to the forum chaff ?

And if I understand the OP, he got the software for free because he has worked with Evolve in the past and is enjoying a perk from Evolve for being a good client.

You will not get this for free...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
Instead of... ?
Quote:
You stated that you "should have gone with Evolve" which suggests that you had in fact chosen another vendor's DCT software and felt you made a bad choice. I wanted to know what you had gone with and why you thought it was a bad choice - do you have updated non OEM DCT software or were you just adding to the forum chaff ?

And if I understand the OP, he got the software for free because he has worked with Evolve in the past and is enjoying a perk from Evolve for being a good client.

You will not get this for free...
i did not imply my tune is a bad choice, thats your interpretation.
i cant help but have buyer's remorse when something extra can be obtained for free when others are charging for it.

and yes they offer it to all their existing clients - http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857353
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

How much is it? And do you get to keep the hardware?