BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

07-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #23
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

^ I like the G-Wagen and all, but that alpha male stuff is hilarious
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #24
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
Regarding built with emotion: Exactly. It's built by a man who is hoping it ends up in the hands of another man. I want a vehicle that was built with "man love"; a passion for our gender that most men in today's world fail to understand.

To me, the G class doesn't need an exterior overhaul because it's built for the man who understand what it is like to be a man. If a man understands how to be one (that's not true at all in today's world), then he can appreciate what this vehicle symbolizes. It's about how even the best of men can still be rough around the edges, but have the ability to handle a lot of what comes their way. Sometimes it may not be the smoothest ride, but he'll get it done. Just like the G will.

To me, it's rare to evoke such an emotional reaction about a vehicle. But when I look at it, I simply ask myself one question: If you are a proud male who hopes to one day provide for his family the best way he knows how, and you want people to know that you're confident that "your way" can succeed, how does this vehicle not embody that?

That's why I love the G class. It's for a certain kind of guy: Proud, persistent, confident, intelligent, refined. Kind of like a male lion.

Britney Spears owns one. So does Megan Fox (she actually has two.) And Ashley Tisdale. Jennifer Aniston used to drive one. And Maria Shriver still does.

Come down here where there's a preponderance of G Wagens and you'll see them being driven by people who understand what it's like to be a woman.

I agree with CAPSGOD. That was pretty hilarious parody.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
McCartney
Private
Rep
Drives: undisclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
^ I like the G-Wagen and all, but that alpha male stuff is hilarious
What the heck is an alpha male? Are you talking about some pick up girl nonsense? It has to be, that's what google says.

Pretty sure the one Aniston has was Brad Pitt's. And I'd like to see how many women have one compared to men. I'm pretty sure you guys agree that the number of men that drive this thing dominates the number of women.
I'd guess 98% Men 2% women, that's being generous.

What's wrong with being a proud man? I'm quite insulted you find it comical. What is a man if he doesn't deliver in anything he is tasked to do?

When you experience failure do you say "It's okay I failed/ didn't meet my self-imposed expectations" ? I don't. Failure is unacceptable. I do fail, but I use it as my motivation to try again and own it.

One person said the G Wagon is built with passion, something that's evident from the signature of the person who builds your engine. If I was lucky enough to build such a vehicle, my passion comes from the fact that it symbolizes more than just a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #26
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

The alpha personality is the "male lion" you were referring to. There is nothing wrong with refusing to accept failure; in fact it is quite admirable. However, driving a G55 does not transform you into a lion. All of the G-wagens in my area (River Oaks Houston) are driven by housewives.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #27
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
The alpha personality is the "male lion" you were referring to. There is nothing wrong with refusing to accept failure; in fact it is quite admirable. However, driving a G55 does not transform you into a lion. All of the G-wagens in my area (River Oaks Houston) are driven by housewives.
Oh, heck no. No material possession in the world can get you a pair of balls, being a man is a choice. I totally agree with that.

I haven't seen any G55 AMGs in the country (Canada). I heard only 200k have been sold total in the past 40 years, which isn't a small number.

Why are housewives driving a car that they definitely shouldn't enjoy driving? Given how some people already stated that the ride is a bit stiffer (I think that's pretty endearing I like a stiffer suspension for my vehicles.), so I'm shocked that they roll in it.

They probably just want to look good in their husband's Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #28
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
That's why I love the G class. It's for a certain kind of guy: Proud, persistent, confident, intelligent, refined. Kind of like a male lion.
Its just a car, dude. Its not going to make you this or that.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #29
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I love the G wagon but I would rather get a X6M..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Why don't you just get a Jeep Wrangler? Lulz
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #31
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Its just a car, dude. Its not going to make you this or that.
If you read what I posted above, "secretsquirrel", I already said that.

Furthermore, it's more than just a car. For some people, a car is one of their most prized possessions.

For me, when I buy a vehicle I look at a bunch of things: Is it representative or reflective of who I am, does it provide the amenities and gadgets I desire, is it going to be something I won't mind dumping 1000s upon 1000s into for maintenance after warranty, etc.

So it's not just a car. It's more.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #32
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
If you read what I posted above, "secretsquirrel", I already said that.

Furthermore, it's more than just a car. For some people, a car is one of their most prized possessions.

For me, when I buy a vehicle I look at a bunch of things: Is it representative or reflective of who I am, does it provide the amenities and gadgets I desire, is it going to be something I won't mind dumping 1000s upon 1000s into for maintenance after warranty, etc.

So it's not just a car. It's more.
You forgot to add the most important question of them all, "will it make the girls drop their panties?"

All jokes aside, it really depends on you and what you want. I love G55s, my uncle has one and every time I've driven it I felt like a dictator of a third world country. I think it's great SUV for city driving and its pretty quick for something that looks like it has no aerodynamics at all. But for the price it makes no sense IMHO. Rather have an X5M, Cayenne Turbo or Range Rover HSE Supercharged. You get more room in all three and just as many options if not more. I believe maintenance on these cars could be slightly cheaper as well, my uncle always complained about how much he is charged. Regardless of that he has owned 4 so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
You forgot to add the most important question of them all, "will it make the girls drop their panties?"

All jokes aside, it really depends on you and what you want. I love G55s, my uncle has one and every time I've driven it I felt like a dictator of a third world country. I think it's great SUV for city driving and its pretty quick for something that looks like it has no aerodynamics at all. But for the price it makes no sense IMHO. Rather have an X5M, Cayenne Turbo or Range Rover HSE Supercharged. You get more room in all three and just as many options if not more. I believe maintenance on these cars could be slightly cheaper as well, my uncle always complained about how much he is charged. Regardless of that he has owned 4 so far.
Thanks for this information.

I understand the cost for what it brings is hefty, however there is no difference in price between a properly equipped Cayenne Turbo and the G55 AMG.

Additionally, I don't want the X6M or X5m. I understand that their price to performance is much better, but they're just not my style of SUV.

Regarding the Land Rover, I would have thought about it until I realized how cheap people can buy those brand new. I believe the dealership here sucks really badly too. I'm not sure of their recent reliability, but I do know in the past they were terrible.

I have no doubt that this thing is expensive to maintain, but there are a few things going for me here: The dealership I'd be inquiring about this vehicle from holds a lot of weight up here in Canada. It's one of the best dealerships, both with customer service, service itself and sales. If I do decide to purchase this vehicle, I guarantee I would get it at or near invoice.

That might not be much of a savings. Probably will still cost ~135-140,000, but this thing is just too unreal. With respect to practicality for storage/space: As long as it can fit 4-5 people I'm okay. I don't need to carry big things at all, if it can accommodate as much as a full side sedan's trunk then I'm not complaining at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #34
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

You never answered the question.

Why don't you just get a Jeep Wrangler?

Lulz It has more of the "Alpha Male" bull shitz than the G Wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #35
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
You never answered the question.

Why don't you just get a Jeep Wrangler?

Lulz It has more of the "Alpha Male" bull shitz than the G Wagon
Still don't know what you mean by alpha male. You keep laughing and I'll keep doing what I do. Sound good?

You're seeking to cause trouble, evidenced by your choice to sit on the computer and mock someone who didn't really say anything to earn your scorn.

FYI: I don't care about the choices you make as an individual because they don't affect me, just like your forum posts. What I am just saying that by not responding to your original post I thought you understood that I'm not here to engage in a nonsensical discussion.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #36
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver Z4 M Coupe

Honestly, just by the fucking car. You don't seem to be listening to any opinions, or at the least, have rebuttals to all.

That being said, fuck the R8. I love the G55, and would jump at one if I had the cash. If you want AWD V10, buy a Gallardo...
      08-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #37
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haretakis View Post
Honestly, just by the fucking car. You don't seem to be listening to any opinions, or at the least, have rebuttals to all.

That being said, fuck the R8. I love the G55, and would jump at one if I had the cash. If you want AWD V10, buy a Gallardo...
The real question now, though, is whether to wait for the 2013 version which is supposed to be improved in many ways

I told the people who recommended a Cayenne Turbo/x*M that I'm not looking for an ALL AROUND performance SUV. That wouldn't be why I get the G55.

Who cares if someone can turn at 60 kph in their SUV. NOt me.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #38
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

German Hummer.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #39
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Regarding the Land Rover, I would have thought about it until I realized how cheap people can buy those brand new.
Vogue Supercharged are not cheap, didn't realize you were looking for a status symbol. In that case I'd go with the R8 or even Gallardo, surely you'll get the message across with either one.

as for their reliability, in my experience they have improved so much. We've owned a couple in the last few years and the only problem we had was window motor failing after a couple thousand miles but that was fixed under warranty.

Last edited by 1º; 08-04-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #40
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I'd wait for the 12 g550 and the turbo motor if your heart is set on the g wagen. It's definitely one of my all time favorite car designs, but there is no denying that the technology is only on par with a modern day wrangler unlimited rubicon, but who get's these things for the technology or driving dynamics anyway? It's definitely one of the most prominent status symbols in the industry not to mention its lineage as use for the military.

The solid front and rear axle design with the locking front rear and center diffs make it a formidable off roader but the AMG package limits that...the handbuilt motor is a work of art but the weight and chassis limits its uses. the car is full of irony but what's rational when it comes to desire? get what you want

I'd like to purchase a used one in the future, but it will be wheeled and abused....what it was meant for

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #41
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Or you could just buy a Range Rover, much more comfortable, better ride, just as good if not better should you ever decide to go offroad, not likely, and they have the best interior of any car built today.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #42
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
For the guy who said they feel like a dictator in the G. I agree with that, but I get the same feeling I've gotten driving a friend's G that I did driving my 06 full sized Range Rover. OP I would really consider buying a very lightly used 2010/2011 Range Rover Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #43
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
For the guy who said they feel like a dictator in the G. I agree with that, but I get the same feeling I've gotten driving a friend's G that I did driving my 06 full sized Range Rover. OP I would really consider buying a very lightly used 2010/2011 Range Rover Supercharged
I have not liked Land Rover since Ford purchased them. yes I know Mercedes is owned by Chrysler or whatever, but that's different since the G Wagen is still hand built.

I also don't agree with dealers throwing a sticker of 150k on an SUV and then selling it for way below that. There is no way that there are as many people, who can afford the Land Rovers at sticker, that I see on the road. I see one or two of those things daily and I"m really not that impressed by it. It looks nice but they seem unreliable and I don't think they're hand built.

I am not after a deal or anything -- I appreciate the suggestions. I think I will be waiting for the 2012-2013 refresh and see what's in store. I am very excited to get my hands on one.

Ran into the guy who sold my dad his ML320 back in 99 and his E320 4matic back in 05 on friday night. Was quite happy to see him as my dad didn't know what happened to him at the dealership he purchased the cars from.

Hopefully I'll be getting a 55, but at the very worst it'll be a 550.

If I wanted a super performance SUV I'd get a Cayenne, but that's not why I'm buying an SUV. If I wanted 150k of performance I'd get a used R8 V10 as I don't have a family, and probably won't for another 8+ years.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #44
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
yes I know Mercedes is owned by Chrysler or whatever,
Just so other people reading this don't get confused, Mercedes is not owned by Chrysler and never was. Mercedes is a division of Daimler and was never part of Chrysler. But Daimler once merged with Chrysler, i.e., they bought Chrysler when Jurgen Schrempp was CEO of Daimler. They became DaimlerChrysler AG in 1998. Chrysler became part of Daimler, i.e., it was never called MercedesChrysler AG.

In 2007, they sold Chrysler to Cerberus Capital Management of New York. And in 2007 they changed the name of the company to Daimler AG.

The Mercedes Gelandewagen was originally developed by Steyr-Daimler-Puch. In the 1980's the company was sold off in bits and pieces and Daimler took over the G-Wagen while handing the production to Magna Steyr in Austria. Just a few years ago they signed an agreement to have Magna Steyr build the truck until 2015. Mercedes Benz, which is a division of Daimler AG, is in charge of R+D, production, marketing, and sales of the G Wagon and G series SUVs.
Appreciate 0