BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

05-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #67
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

^Yes
      05-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #68
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

How about this for an altenative: buy the much better looking E92 and put whatever remaining money you would have otherwise sunk into the GT-R into performance mods for E92. When all is said and done, you might be looking at two cars (just guessing here) that are roughly comparable performance-wise. Of course, and as already mentioned, an E92, modded or stock, is 100x nicer to look at than the Nissan; factor in the "mystique" of owning a heavily-modded V8 M3, and it's a win-win.

Of course, I'm hardly impartial. I love my E92.

Last edited by Talk2meg00se; 05-10-2011 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #69
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindajatt1 View Post
As the Title States, I will soon be in the Market for a new car, as of now I drive a fully Loaded 335i, I have always wanted an M, but the temptation for the GTR is too great and I'm heavily leaning towards it, My conceren is that I do not know much about the GTR, but I am currently doing alot of research. Wanted to get some opinions from M3 driver's who might have gone through this similar situation, Why would you take the M3 over a GTR?
I sold my Audi RS4 last August and have been looking for my next car for the past several months. I have researched and test driven MANY cars during this time including the GTR.

Here's what I concluded. If you simply want the baddest ride in the land, get the GTR, no questions asked. The thrust of this car is astounding. Grip is also out of this world. The looks are subjective. I don't think it is ugly, but is isn't exactly pretty either. It is almost a bit caricature like in appearance. For example, it has one exhaust pipe which then turn into four 5" diameter tips. The GTR, however, is all function and NO form. It is a beast, but has zero sex appeal.

By this, I mean the following:

1. the interior layout is very choppy and not well thought out. It has a 80's retro look to it which IMO is not good.

2. The car makes also sorts of weird and unpleasant noises. The turbos are very loud and the transmission makes clunking and grinding noises which are "normal" but are almost embarrassing on a car of this caliber.

3. The engine feels harsh and has no pleasing sound or feel to the powerband

4. The exhaust note just plain sucks.

5. The ride is very harsh even compared to the many aftermarket suspensions I have owned on various cars over the years.

I chose the M3 due to its gorgeous styling, and subjective qualities. For me, the M3 is fast enough and handles well enough. It has a more upscale and cleaner interior design. It is more comfortable and yet is razor sharp in its responsiveness. The way the engine revs is just so seductive. It has a certain elegance. The GTR is like a rhinoceros-powerful and brutal. It is a Japanese muscle car with no refinement whatsoever. The M3 is like a tiger: strong but sleek and sexy too.
      05-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #70
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Just go for M3. In few years performance is there, new cars etc. As for the start m3 is briliant. N/A engine is not too brutal out the corners, but the engine is powerfull, gearbox and engine is poetry.

Nissan sunny...why? think about it. Real woman,pretty or a plastic bitch?

Last edited by z00m; 05-10-2011 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #71
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gindajatt1 View Post
I love the look of a GTR and don't understand why some people hate it, its beautiful!
The rear is OK. but the front looks like a stretched out Z with a big gaping hole of a mouth in the middle. ( the black part)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #72
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.
Rep
Drives: E92, R6 SBK, etc, etc..

I cross shopped and test drove both very recently.
For me it came down to usability and the gtr was too similar to what I am getting out of (997Gt2).

Whats the car you're coming from?
Will this be your DD?

Are you gonna be tracking a decent amount? If not, maybe it's overkill.

Do you take long drives thru winding roads on somewhat regular basis? This car, like other very high performance cars
Don't drive well at slower speeds- they need to be opened up- and if you aren't doing that it may leave you a little underwelmed considering other sacrifices.

Do you value a somewhat comfortable ride- the gtr on comfort setting is still rough even on the '12 I drove.

If you plan to have passengers over 5'4" in the backseat they will certainly hate you- after they bounce their heads off the glass.

It's a huge car, with what I found to be pretty bad rear visibility and really low roof that I hit my head on when looking over my shoulder.

If you have another daily driver I would get it for sure. If
It's your DD I would look hard at it as some of the amazing performance attributes might not gloss over the sacrifices in driving a supercar.

Some of these things I experienced with my pcar so just a bit of insight from that angle.

Maybe you could lease it and make your somewhat uncertain decision easier to get out of should you want to.
Good luck.
      05-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #73
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I've seen some jaw dropping pictures of modded GT-R's so saying they're no good looking is crap. They're pretty sinister looking in person. It's Japanese exotica though...different kind of car they never intended to appeal to as wide an audience as an M3. Like Italian or British flavored exotica, it either appeals to you or it doesn't. I grew up drooling over Japanese sports cars so I think it's pretty cool.

Last edited by Brandon26pdx; 05-11-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #74
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Obviously I'm biased but get the GTR. I have yet to read someone regretting the choice(I'm sure there's someone that does). Unless you need fuctional rear seats and you're on a tight budget its an easy choice.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #75
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

GT-R if you want a car that spanks and everything with a simple chip/tune.
M3 if you want a luxo sport cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #76
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

I've had an E90 M3 and currently have a 2012 GT-R. I have no regrets making the move to the Nissan. However, I didn't use my M3 nor the GT-R as my daily driver. Had that been the case I would probably still be in the M3.

The GT-R is on another level when it comes to performance. The acceleration of the 2012 GT-R is amazing and makes the quite fast M3 feel a bit pedestrian. Also, the GT-R has better road holding and better steering feel than the M. The steering really surprised me because I figured with the AWD setup on the Nissan the steering might be a bit numb. The GT-R also has better brakes which it needs considering the weight and performance of the car.

What the Nissan doesn't give you is the very well rounded package that the M car provides. The M3 is downright comfortable compared to the GT-R. Also, you get room for four adults and a more inviting interior. I'm not saying the GT-R interior is bad, but it is pretty dark and has a function over style feel. The M3 feels smaller and has better visibility which is nice in traffic. The BMW is also a lot quieter which make it more comfortable on long drives. Finally, the M3 has included maintenance which is a real plus considering the cost of keeping the GT-R on the road.

Both cars are a lot of fun to drive. It really comes down to if the added performance of the GT-R is worth the concessions you will make in driving comfort and usability. as a daily driver it might not be worth it especially if you have to carry more than one passenger on a regular basis.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #77
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

2012 GTR is 93K
Different league

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #78
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I would get the apple since an orange is a pain in the ass to peel and is just more messy.

Also the orange does not come with a 6MT option and costs a lot more to maintain.
I'd go with the orange...its skin would match the paint job on my M3.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #79
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
[...]

By this, I mean the following:

[...]

2. The car makes also sorts of weird and unpleasant noises. The turbos are very loud and the transmission makes clunking and grinding noises which are "normal" but are almost embarrassing on a car of this caliber.

3. The engine feels harsh and has no pleasing sound or feel to the powerband

4. The exhaust note just plain sucks.

5. The ride is very harsh even compared to the many aftermarket suspensions I have owned on various cars over the years.

[...]
It's that kind of car.
Same situation with a lambo, or 911gtX.

They all make noises that are typically muffled out in 'normal' cars.
They all have urgent engines that are best when wrung out (and obtuse when cruising - relatively speaking compared to how they fare when pushed)
They all have suspension that would be unacceptable to most people.

note : I agree, the GTR exhaust note is bland.
Then again, so is the 911tt's exhaust note.
Both are too quiet. For all the compromises that the cars make, choosing to keep the exhaust note subdued seems strange to me. However I do like that it keeps your attention-grabbing to a minimum when you floor it (nice with the po-po's)

Point is, many cars are called "sports cars" (even though people really have in mind "GT cars"), and there's a sports car for everyone.
Few people have the inclination to live with the compromises required as you move farther and farther to the extreme.

A focus driver looks at a mustang and sees a sports car.
A ZR1 driver looks at a mustang and sees a re-shaped focus.
It's all relative, and it's all about what you are looking for.

The M3 is less extreme than the GTR. That's not a good or bad thing, and it's not a bonus or a fault.
They cater to different goals. Tools made to do different things.
Saying the GTR is harsh and unrefined is like saying a sledge hammer is bigger than a hammer - well... DUH.

That rougher ride is a symptom of higher performance suspension.
That loud transmission is a symptom if higher performance gearsets/actuators/etc.
That brake squeal is a symptom of higher performance brakes.
etc.
All these compromises come up when you move farther towards the performance extreme.
Take a listen to a proper race car (straight pipes, straight cut gears, no upholstry or sound dampers). It'll make the GTR sound like a baby sleeping.

Here's what's funny.
M3 folks saying the GTR is too unrefined...
That's like GTR drivers saying that an Atom 500 is too unrefined.
LOL. No crap.

How much is 'too much' depends on the person.
To me, the GTR is a better blend of performance and comfort than the M3 - ONLY because I prefer one blend over another.
Another person that wants a different blend will say the M3 is a better compromise.
And another person will say that both are too soft.

(Note : In all honesty, I would still prefer the GTR to be a bit more performance oriented than it is. I would enjoy more performance, and I'm still well within the realm of 'comfortable' with room to give up some comfort. What would make the car stellar, to me, is if the transmission was an H pattern dog box with the first 3 gears straight cut. THAT would really bring the car to life. (and some weight loss, lol))

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 05-11-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #80
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Obviously I'm biased but get the GTR. I have yet to read someone regretting the choice(I'm sure there's someone that does). Unless you need fuctional rear seats and you're on a tight budget its an easy choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I've had an E90 M3 and currently have a 2012 GT-R. I have no regrets making the move to the Nissan. However, I didn't use my M3 nor the GT-R as my daily driver. Had that been the case I would probably still be in the M3.

The GT-R is on another level when it comes to performance. The acceleration of the 2012 GT-R is amazing and makes the quite fast M3 feel a bit pedestrian. Also, the GT-R has better road holding and better steering feel than the M. The steering really surprised me because I figured with the AWD setup on the Nissan the steering might be a bit numb. The GT-R also has better brakes which it needs considering the weight and performance of the car.

What the Nissan doesn't give you is the very well rounded package that the M car provides. The M3 is downright comfortable compared to the GT-R. Also, you get room for four adults and a more inviting interior. I'm not saying the GT-R interior is bad, but it is pretty dark and has a function over style feel. The M3 feels smaller and has better visibility which is nice in traffic. The BMW is also a lot quieter which make it more comfortable on long drives. Finally, the M3 has included maintenance which is a real plus considering the cost of keeping the GT-R on the road.

Both cars are a lot of fun to drive. It really comes down to if the added performance of the GT-R is worth the concessions you will make in driving comfort and usability. as a daily driver it might not be worth it especially if you have to carry more than one passenger on a regular basis.

That car's side profile is damn sexy. I personally prefer 997's Blue, but white looks good too.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #81
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Get a GTR ZCP, you can't go wrong with that
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #82
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver Nissan 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
2012 GTR 0-60 in sub 3 seconds. if you care about that kind of stuff then go for the GTR, it'll demolish anything out there performance wise for a lot less money.
go for the M3 to save money and drive a nice looking sports coupe with plenty of performance for the regular joe.
This right here is the shortest and sweetest summary for both. Good Stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #83
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver Nissan 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
Have you done research on maintenance? I was a little sticker shocked when I found out.
Please enlighten me because I may be in the same situation down the road between the F30 and a 2015 GTR LOL...so yeah, please enlighten me...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #84
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

If how fast the car is most important, the GTR would win hands down. But as I've said, it is superhard to drive any car at it's limits (or very fast for that matter) on public roads. For this, the GTR is probably overkill (imo). If you need to kill a fly you can use a fly swatter or you can use a stick of dynamite. Both will work, but it's not especially necessary to use the most force.

For me, I think the M3 is fast enough. I don't track it or 1/4 mile it or anything. I drive it on the street and it doesn't bother me if another car is quicker.

If speed/power was the main important thing about driving a car we'd all be driving GTRs, Z06s and Vipers and 600hp Mustangs that cost about (or near) the cost of a M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #85
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubajay View Post
Please enlighten me because I may be in the same situation down the road between the F30 and a 2015 GTR LOL...so yeah, please enlighten me...
here is some

LET ME EDIT THIS BEFORE SOMEONE GETS BUTTHURT.

Change oil every 3500k - 6K miles 200-300 dollars (a friend got billed for 220) HE DOESNT FOLLOW THE 6-9K MILES REPLACEMENT.
Brake job 4k-6k depending if you go OEM or aftermarket. (THIS IS A COMPLETE BRAKE JOB NOT JUST ROTORS) the cheapest replacement was just under 4K and it was a DIY job
Tires must replace all 2k maybe every 8k miles i know a guy changes every 10k with out tracking the car. (also if the dealer say you need to replace the tires you have to replace it cause they might void the warranty (yes there have been cases) (TIRES USUALLY COST THIS MUCH SINCE YOU CANT GET SOME CHEAP ASS HANKOOK ON THIS CAR) Even a hook up nothing is less than 1500$ on tires on this car.
other maintenance IE: diff. oil ect. 1-3k.... depending on how many miles you have.

this is just an estimate but roughly its around the area.

Last edited by Grail05; 05-11-2011 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #86
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
here is some

Change oil every 3500k miles 200-300 dollars
Brake job 4k-6k depending if you go OEM or aftermarket.
Tires must replace all 2k maybe every 8k miles i know a guy changes every 10k with out tracking the car. (also if the dealer say you need to replace the tires you have to replace it cause they might void the warranty (yes there have been cases)
other maintenance 1-3k.... depending on how many miles you have.

Oil change 6k - 9k miles, $100-150 depends on which oil you put in.

Brake: rotors $600 a piece on J-hook's. You don't need these in 20-30k miles anyways.

Tires: DD would be 10k -15k depends on your driving style. $1500 to 2k a set depends on brands. Your friend just met an ass like dealer. Also, they can not void any warranty without proper reason.

Tranny, diff fluid: $800 to 1200. Every 18k to 24k mile. If your car is 09-11, and you hear noise coming out from your tranny, you should be able to get it done for free at some good dealership.

Lots of rumors about GTR's maintenance, some of them are true at some dealership. If you get smart and shop around, you will find you could save lots of $$$.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #87
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
here is some

Change oil every 3500k miles 200-300 dollars
Brake job 4k-6k depending if you go OEM or aftermarket.
Tires must replace all 2k maybe every 8k miles i know a guy changes every 10k with out tracking the car. (also if the dealer say you need to replace the tires you have to replace it cause they might void the warranty (yes there have been cases)
other maintenance 1-3k.... depending on how many miles you have.

Where did you dig that up? The only significant (and it was significant) maintenance bill I have had was the 18000 mile tranny fluid change ($1400) on my '09 GT-R.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #88
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Where did you dig that up? The only significant (and it was significant) maintenance bill I have had was the 18000 mile tranny fluid change ($1400) on my '09 GT-R.
some Nissan dealers have $$ flashing on their eyeballs when they see GTR's coming. a buddy of mine got charged $3k for a tranny flush at local dealer. lol
Appreciate 0