BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

05-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #23
Daneel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's very old

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
the bug was not even known until after it was already fixed.
You just validated one of my points; if Apple Macs at 90% of the market, the chances of that bug being exploited would be much, much higher.

Quote:
My point is, sure there are bugs in OS X too, but there is just no question that if the two systems were put side by side, Windows would win in both quantity and severity of all security problems.
I'll agree with that, but it was not what I was disputing in the first place.

Quote:
To OS 9 vs OS X issue, I'm not even going to answer that because
Again, you missed my point. This is what annoys me about a fanboy response; fanboys get so caught up in religiously defending there position that they don't listen/read what the other person wrote. The point I was making is that Apple had the opportunity to redesign their operating sytem from ground up; they broke compatibility, which casued problems for a year or so, and then those problems were not relevant after apps had been rewritten for OS X.

My point was that a fresh re-write is a *good thing*, and that Microsoft should probably go the same route with Windows, except that Microsoft cannot afford to take that risk, given the widespread penetration of windows.

Quote:
benchmarks of both Windows and OS X servers because calling it "slow" or coming to a halt is simply untrue.
And I can gid up benchmarks proving the opposite. And then we can argue about who generated the benchmarks, and what their motivations are. What's your point?

Quote:
This issue is also slowly getting resolved as switch to Intel has arrived. Since there are no Mac-Intel desktops yet, it's hard to argue how easy it is to upgrade Mac vs. PC. also, i don't think it was Apple's theory of closed hardware model as much as unavailability of parts for the PowerPC platform.
You're kidding right? Switching to intel is just part of the solution. Also, it was not just the unavailability of parts. What do mean you mean unavailability of parts? Apple does not let let you do user upgrades. What are the chances of getting drivers/getting the hardware working if you buy a PowerMac, and start swapping out parts yourself? Very low. Unless someone has written an opensource driver which you plug into the BSD kernel, or someting. Don't expect the drivers to come from Apple.

Quote:
I just read an article somewhere stating number of bugs in Windows is counted in hundreds of thousands.
If you knew what constitued a "bug" in the database, then this statement would be in perspective.

The bottom line is that yes, OS X is probably better designed than Windows. OS X's threading model has issues, this is widely acknowledged by OS researchers. OS X does not have to face the same problems that a redesign of Windows would face, because of the small market penetration. Microsoft's task is much more complicated and difficult than what Apple needs to do. Making a statement like "Redmond is being lazy" or "intentionally leaves the bugs in there" is fanboyish and stupid.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by krndanic307
I just got the macbook 13" the newest one that came out... I bought it a day after it was launched! =]... Best computer EVER!!!!... As my cousin says... buying a mac it was one of the best investments!

good to hear, I just ordered one yesterday!!
Appreciate 0