BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Bruno Senna to replace Nick Heidfeld at Renault

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/form...e/14624084.stm

Quote:
German Nick Heidfeld has been dropped by the Renault team in favour of Brazilian Bruno Senna for this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

Renault made a promising start to the 2011 season but their form has slipped amid rumours of funding shortages, which the team have denied.

While Heidfeld is on a salary, Senna, Renault's reserve driver, comes with several million pounds of sponsorship.

It will be Senna's first race since last season, when he drove for HRT.

The 27-year-old nephew of the late Brazilian legend Ayrton Senna is expected to race for Renault in the eight remaining races this season alongside Russian Vitaly Petrov.

Senna made his debut for HRT last season but left the team after a trying year with the struggling outfit.

He joined Renault this season in the hope that he would eventually be promoted to a race drive.

Heidfeld was drafted in by Renault before the start of the season as a replacement for the team's number one driver, Robert Kubica, who was seriously injured in a rallying crash in February.

The Pole suffered a partially severed hand and leg and arm fractures and is still recuperating and it remains unclear when - or if - he will be able to return to F1.

Kubica's doctors told Autosport magazine last week that he hoped to be fit enough to drive in an F1 simulator by the end of September.

Heidfeld, a veteran of 10 years in F1, was chosen as his substitute because of the 34-year-old's proven points scoring record.

But after a podium in the second race of the season in Malaysia, he and the team have not been able to reach the same heights again.

Nevertheless, Heidfeld has scored points in five further races, and lies eighth in the championship two points clear of Petrov, who is in his second season in F1.

Kubica finished last season eighth in the championship, scoring 136 points to Petrov's 27.
Good to see Senna getting some seat time this year as it appears Renault is going to set their focus to 2012 after a disappointing start to the season.
      08-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
a guy named Senna driving for Lotus, can't say i hate how this sounds
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

This has been rumored, but keep in mind, the actual headline is:

"Bruno Senna replaces Nick Heidfeld at Renault, says Eddie Jordan"

No official announcement yet from Renault. More info on the deal here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93888

-----------
BBC pundit Eddie Jordan, who has close links to Heidfeld after he drove for his team in F1, reported on Monday night that the deal was in place for Senna to take Heidfeld's seat for the remainder of the season.

However, AUTOSPORT understands that the plans are complicated by the fact that Heidfeld is not willing to simply walk away - with the German aware that there are few opportunities elsewhere for him in F1 if he leaves Renault now.

It is understood that negotiations are ongoing between Heidfeld and Renault about the situation, with the matter possibly only being resolved on the eve of the Belgian event itself.
-----------
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Yep, not confirmed yet. But I like the sound of it.
      08-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Yep, not confirmed yet. But I like the sound of it.
Ditto.

Ive never been a "quick nick" fan. The only time he really drove well was when Kubica started driving for BMW, and even then he wasnt super quick...
      08-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Good he deserves another chance.
Having the Senna name brings a sh*** ton of pressure, but he does deserve another chance! HRT is so bad lolll
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Its official!!
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/71...-At-Belgian-GP

HOORAY!
      08-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
Shit just got real.

Another reason to immensely enjoy this race. Can't wait for them to do a close up of him in his helmet in that Black car on the grid.
      08-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Heidfeld is not pleased. Although Senna is only confirmed for Spa and Monza right now.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...-court-action/
      08-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Heidfeld is not pleased. Although Senna is only confirmed for Spa and Monza right now.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...-court-action/
Monza is news. Earlier today it was still only Spa.
      08-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Senna + Lotus = Me Happy
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I was glad to see him do better than Petrov, whom I recognise as a decent driver. Might have been that he's brazilian and it was wet? Either way, Senna is not a normal rookie; he started racing (against his uncle sometimes) when he was a kid, but then understandably quit after 94... then felt it in his blood and came back at a later age. He is also more mature than your typical rookie... they're pushing 20 these days and he is 27 now. Perhaps that will make a difference in that he will be of stronger character. I think that we have seen promising rookies come to F1 before and struggle more psychologically than technically. Who knows. If that's the case, I may be his fan now, not just because of his name. Plus, I need someone to cheer for when the King retires again. Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
It's official, Heidfeld has left Renault.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/09/0...ormally-split/

Quote:
Renault and Nick Heidfeld have formally announced they have parted ways.

A statement released on Friday said the pair had reached “an amicable settlement” and split with immediate effect.

Team principal Eric Boullier said: “Our disagreement with Nick has been the subject of much media coverage lately, and we are pleased to have reached a swift and reasonable solution.

“Our separation process was already a painful one, and neither of us wanted to go through another legal hearing. We’re very grateful to Nick for the highly valuable contribution he’s made to the team. We certainly had good times together, in particular remembering our podium finish in Malaysia.

“He is a very strong and determined racer and we wish him every success in the future.”

Heidfeld said: “Obviously I’m disappointed to be leaving Lotus Renault GP in the middle of the season.

“I thought I could still make a big contribution to the team, but I have to see things as they are and I want to turn my attention to the future. We have taken the right decision by choosing to end our collaboration today.

“I would like to wish all the friends I made at Enstone a successful end to the season. One thing is for sure – I’ll be back racing at the highest level soon.”

Heidfeld joined the team at the start of the season to substitute for the injured Robert Kubica. Heidfeld was replaced by Bruno Senna at the Belgian Grand Prix.
Also check out the new Gilette sponsorship now that the bearded driver is gone

09-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Also check out the new Gilette sponsorship now that the bearded driver is gone

Good eye!

I wonder if that had any weight in it all. Great placement for the Gillette name btw.
      09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
F1fletch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

I am all for Senna being in the seat. I believe he has potential and we will see this as he reaclimates to driving again.
Appreciate 0