BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
AMMZING
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Acura TSX/2003 Mazda6s

Coupe Vs. Sedan Vs. Vert

awsome site here guys...been lurking for months now...anyways, which one will u guys choose...im liking the vert (Alpine's chops ) but the weight penalty and decreased performance is scaring me...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
M3 body style

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMZING View Post
awsome site here guys...been lurking for months now...anyways, which one will u guys choose...im liking the vert (Alpine's chops ) but the weight penalty and decreased performance is scaring me...
The cab would be great if you live where you can get a lot of benefit out of it and don't track it too much. It will weigh more and have less rigidity, though. At least they are using aluminum for the folding hardtop. The sedans never look as good as the coupes, IMO. The Touring would be an interesting option, but I'm betting they don't bring it into the US.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Test drive both when they arrive at the dealership and make a decision, its that simple.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
AMMZING
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Test drive both when they arrive at the dealership and make a decision, its that simple.
i do plan on doing that....i also wanna see how the sedan will look too
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
i also wanna see how the sedan will look too
This could be what looks like the E90 M3 sedan.

E90 M3 sedan photoshop:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51699

E90 M3 sedan test mule:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51399
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
AMMZING
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
This could be what looks like the E90 M3 sedan.

E90 M3 sedan photoshop:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51699

E90 M3 sedan test mule:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51399
yep...and thats why i LOVE alpine's chops :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Seriously, anyone who gets an M3 Vert is a poser. That car will weight 4000 lbs and lack rigidity. Just get a 335i Vert with Procede and be done. You need the roof for performance.
      04-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #8
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Seriously, anyone who gets an M3 Vert is a poser. That car will weight 4000 lbs and lack rigidity. Just get a 335i Vert with Procede and be done. You need the roof for performance.
i am not a fan of the Convertible But there is no reason that they are a poser...
In fact they have enough money to get an M5 probably if they wanted 2...

I do think its a waste to buy a convertible M3 but it is my opinions. A lot of people like them

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #9
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
i am not a fan of the Convertible But there is no reason that they are a poser...
In fact they have enough money to get an M5 probably if they wanted 2...

I do think its a waste to buy a convertible M3 but it is my opinions. A lot of people like them
I'm seriously thinking about buying the convertible. After beeing used to that (currently Z4), I don't know if I wanna give it up just for weight saving. I'm just worried about the handling. The Evo magazine said in a review that although the Audi RS4 is great, the RS4 convertible is absolute crap. I really hope this doesn't apply to the new M3...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, anyone who gets an M3 Vert is a poser. That car will weight 4000 lbs and lack rigidity.
Here's the thing: there are plenty of great drivers who will take that M3 vert and run circles around you in a closed top M3. So now who's the poser?

Quote:
Just get a 335i Vert with Procede and be done.
Yeah - just risk potentially voiding the the warranty, so some cocky kid on the forums won't call you a poser. Great idea.

Quote:
You need the roof for performance.
Why? Are you commuting to work on the Nurburging?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The photo of the E90 M3 test mule only shows the rear view. Will the E90 M3 really use the front end from the coupe? If so, that would be a perfect combination as I really like the front end of the coupe. Combine that with the 4 doors (which would be preferable in my situation) and I am sold!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Here's the thing: there are plenty of great drivers who will take that M3 vert and run circles around you in a closed top M3. So now who's the poser?

Yeah - just risk potentially voiding the the warranty, so some cocky kid on the forums won't call you a poser. Great idea.

Well said. There are many reasons to buy a car. I like BMW build quality, I like a nice V8, I like the size of the e93 and I like a vert. I'd get an M3 vert myself but since it will probably be a bit out of my price range so I'll most likely opt of the e90 M3 when it's released.

Last edited by fueledbymetal; 04-11-2007 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #13
AMMZING
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
The photo of the E90 M3 test mule only shows the rear view. Will the E90 M3 really use the front end from the coupe? If so, that would be a perfect combination as I really like the front end of the coupe. Combine that with the 4 doors (which would be preferable in my situation) and I am sold!
there was a mule that showed it with the E92 front end.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
All the recent test mule shown in this thread had E92 front end. Wait until end of 07, more information on E90 M3 sedan will surface by then according to BMW insider.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51399#21
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for the photos!

The coverings they use on the test mules make it hard to make out all of the details, but it DOES look like the E90 M3 will have the coupe front end. Even though I am very happy with my current E90, I have to admit that I prefer the "non-moustache" grill of the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
M3_2010
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CiC

Quote:
I love Posing in my E46 M3 vert........
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 01:51 AM   #17
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I knew I'd get some responses to my comment

I seriously don't get the point of taking a perfectly engineered sports coupe, complete with CF roof, and then adding 500 lbs and taking away structural rigidity, thus defeating the entire point of the car.

That is why I say you might as well get a 335i convertible (and if you want more power, it is easy to come by on that turbo 6). Get it with a body kit to match an M3.

A 4-seater convertible cannot remain rigid enough to take advantage of a stiff suspension that comes on an M3, and the additional weight will slow it down significantly.

If you really want a performance convertible get a car engineered AS a convertible (Boxter S, for example) so it is still stiff, light and agile.

BTW, I will be the one outdriving you, no matter what you drive, at any track you choose. I'll be happy to send you some videos on how to drive.

Your response is that of a . . . poser. So get your $75K M3 Vert, put the top down, put on some shades, and pose away
      04-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I knew I'd get some responses to my comment
Yeah - I figured you aware that you were a total ass. We get plenty of cocky kids on the forums trying to make up for their lack of balls in real life by playing tough guy on the the internet.

Welcome aboard, tough guy.

Quote:
I seriously don't get the point of taking a perfectly engineered sports coupe, complete with CF roof, and then adding 500 lbs and taking away structural rigidity, thus defeating the entire point of the car.
Right. So removing the V8 and putting in the I6, and then detuning the brakes and suspension - that will fix the whole thing. Great logic you got going there.

Quote:
If you really want a performance convertible get a car engineered AS a convertible (Boxter S, for example) so it is still stiff, light and agile.
And if you really want a performance coupe an Exige or Z06 will be a much better choice than the M3. Probably a Cayman or Z4 M coupe too. As if the 3 series chassis was designed to be "light and agile", LOL. Plus, you don't need the rear seats on the track. Poser.

Quote:
BTW, I will be the one outdriving you, no matter what you drive, at any track you choose. I'll be happy to send you some videos on how to drive.
Hey as long as those videos make you feel better about getting beat up on the playground when you were a kid - more power to ya.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #19
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:

And if you really want a performance coupe an Exige or Z06 will be a much better choice than the M3. Probably a Cayman or Z4 M coupe too. As if the 3 series chassis was designed to be "light and agile", LOL. Plus, you don't need the rear seats on the track. Poser.
Exactly. The 3 series is about balance between sport & luxery, with the M being more towards the sport end. But as stated above, you need to look elsewhere for a pure performance coupe.
      04-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #20
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah - I figured you aware that you were a total ass. We get plenty of cocky kids on the forums trying to make up for their lack of balls in real life by playing tough guy on the the internet.

Welcome aboard, tough guy.

Right. So removing the V8 and putting in the I6, and then detuning the brakes and suspension - that will fix the whole thing. Great logic you got going there.

Hey as long as those videos make you feel better about getting beat up on the playground when you were a kid - more power to ya.
Woops! Sorry, I did not see that you had an E46 M3 Vert. No wonder you are so sensitive about this. Sorry to get your panties in a twist.

You will look GOOD in your E92 M3 Vert. And you know what they say: if you can't drive good you should look good, and you look MARVELOUS!
      04-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Woops! Sorry, I did not see that you had an E46 M3 Vert. No wonder you are so sensitive about this.
The main reason I called you out and made you feel small was that you are an ass. Yeah, no doubt about that. So really the fact that you were an ass to me personally is secondary.

Quote:
And you know what they say: if you can't drive good you should look good,
And if you can't "drive good or "look good" (or speak _well_ you dumbfuck) then at least you can pretend you do on the internet. Right tough guy? :rocks:

Quote:
and you look MARVELOUS!
Yeah, or just go hit on someone that swings your way, tool.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #22
gmund1948
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335 cab,C-6 08, 73 911E 59 D,

convertables must be for wimps

Last time I checked no-one said the convertable is better handling than a
Coupe, it weighs more and costs more why ?

Top down motoring is expensive, they do improve the rigidity of
convertables to make them handle like a coupe.

Having a coup/e is fun to drive at speed is incredible

Having top down car, driving through the Night in the Alps, or in the Black Forrest, or the canyons or mountains of just about any continent, with 98%
of the performance of a coupe and if you live in Germany, legally
Priceless

Have you seen a Formula one car with roof
Nascar Maybe,

TELL me what REAL Drivers training you have after
besides your State Drivers License ?

Think about it ?
Appreciate 0