BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Mporium BMW

07-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Has anyone here made a hackintosh?

I'm in the process of trying to install OS X Snow Leopard with iBoot and I am getting EXTREMELY frustrated. Having a few issues, would anyone be able to help?

First downloaded and burned iBoot 3.1.1, went and bought snow leopard 10.6.3, downloaded multi-beast too. First installation attempt was giving me 'waiting for root device error'. I installed gnome partition editor and split my HDD into 2 partitions, 1 ntfs and the other HFS+, both 500gb.

Then tried install again, tried code '-v rd=disk0s2', it made it past the root device error and then got held up saying 'system uptime in nanoseconds'.

I couldn't find much about that error, one person said to try a USB DVD drive, and to disable IDE controller. I do not have access to a USB drive tonight [Ill go buy one tomorrow though] and I don't know how to disable IDE controller in BIOS. I do have BIOS configured according to the directions for Gigabyte p55a mobo, per tonymac's directions.

I went ahead and deleted all partitions with gnome, and then configured the entire drive to HFS+, now when I run iBoot, I run '-v rd=disk0' and I'm back to the "Still waiting for root device error."

I keep reading but I am not understanding kext, multi-beast, or kernels at all. I don't really have much computer skill, I've built a few PCs and can code HTML css and some java, but that's it so all this kernel stuff is boggling my mind.

I have no idea [despite searching] how to edit kernels, or kexts or whatever, or how to run multi-beast. I think multi-beast is a OS x program, but I don't understand why people are referring to it to help the install process.

Anyway, now I've deleted all data and re-partitioned my HD as HFS+, so I'd like to figure this out soon. Any help is very much appreciated.

Specs are as follow;

i3
Gigabyte p55a
4gig ram
geforce 8400gs
WD 1tb HDD
HP DVD740
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.

Last edited by Augenbrauezug; 07-12-2011 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
did you change the bios settings correctly?
      07-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
did you change the bios settings correctly?
As far as I can tell yes, boot order is DVD - HDD, HPET is enabled and 64-bit, SATA set to AHCI and SATA 3 disabled.

I'm downloading iatkos to try it tomorrow. My dvd drive isn't listed as a recommended drive so that may be it too.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Figured it out. If anyone wants help getting their intel pc to run OS X Snow leopard LMK
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I plan on doing this on my extra hard drive on my new build. I may pick your brain once i actually get around to attempting it.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Sure, I've been running so far without any problems. About to add my other hard drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Overclocked =]
SSD

Next step quadcore. About to customac a laptop too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Can you upgrade the hackintosh to Lion?

How hard was it to do? Did you need a specific board/processor combo?

I have a lot of G5 cases laying around and was thinking of trying to build a hackintosh in one of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

I'm running Lion now. Yes you need specific parts, but it's all pretty experimental at this point. Any of the new intel core i will work, as well as Core 2 Duo. You really need to look up the hardware you may have laying around, and see what will work and what won't.

For example about hardware; When I was installing Snow Leopard I got hung up because of my DVD player and my HDD... was a good excuse to upgrade to SSD and a SATA DVD player anyway though.

As far as how hard it was, well it took a few days because I just jumped into it. I've built computers before, and have a few extras to use, so I wasn't to concerned about it being down for a while though. As long as your willing to look into your components, and read over the install process a couple times, and have a basic understanding of how computers work, it shouldn't be difficult.

I also had problems because I've never used mac before. Sure I've toyed around on one, but I didn't know what kexts were, or anything of that nature. Once I had a basic understanding of it all it was a breeze. Infact I did screw up my Lion install the first time so I had to reinstall Snow Leopard, only took maybe 2 hours to install SL on 2 partitions after I had done it once.

tonymacx86.com

There is a WEALTH of information on Tony's site, it had all the info I needed to make the switch. I'm about to order a new HP laptop from newegg, you can bet it'll be running Lion within hours of me getting it, I can't stand windows anymore!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks, I'm going to have a read of that site and give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

PM me if you need help.
Appreciate 0