BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

03-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Rough idle on e92 m3

Hi,Aussie M members,im from sydney,this is first M i have,does any one have rough idle on their M3 in the morning(cold start)? and sometimes i heard the strange noise( clang clang )coming from the underside, front/mid section,when the A/C on the noise more appear,i took to dealer-check,they say its M car,its normal...is this true?? does any of you guys have same things happen to your M?

Thank you......
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOM3JO View Post
Hi,Aussie M members,im from sydney,this is first M i have,does any one have rough idle on their M3 in the morning(cold start)? and sometimes i heard the strange noise( clang clang )coming from the underside, front/mid section,when the A/C on the noise more appear,i took to dealer-check,they say its M car,its normal...is this true?? does any of you guys have same things happen to your M?

Thank you......
Yeah, all M3's run rough when they are cold. Its perfectly normal until they warm up properly. No need to worry about it. welcome....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

The rough running sound when cold is normal, it's a peculiarity of the 8 individual throttle butterflies I believe.

However, I have a Q for those with DCT: do you find that the car accelerates less smoothly when cold or even when just warm? ie when I have driven for a while, then stop the engine for a few minutes or so eg when I go the shops or pick up my son from school, I find that for a few minutes upon restarting the acceleration is a bit "gluggy". Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The rough running sound when cold is normal, it's a peculiarity of the 8 individual throttle butterflies I believe.

However, I have a Q for those with DCT: do you find that the car accelerates less smoothly when cold or even when just warm? ie when I have driven for a while, then stop the engine for a few minutes or so eg when I go the shops or pick up my son from school, I find that for a few minutes upon restarting the acceleration is a bit "gluggy". Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Thank you for help and information for the rough idle=normal
how about i heard the strange noise( clang clang )coming from the underside, front/mid section,when the A/C on the noise more appear? thank you..............
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post

I feel the same type of thing when mine is cold, but I don't seem to get it when it has been off for a couple of minutes. It needs to be switched off for about an hour for me to hear and feel the same tpye of thing. I think the computer definately restricts throttle response and revs when engine temp is down even slightly.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygilbo View Post
I feel the same type of thing when mine is cold, but I don't seem to get it when it has been off for a couple of minutes. It needs to be switched off for about an hour for me to hear and feel the same tpye of thing. I think the computer definately restricts throttle response and revs when engine temp is down even slightly.
Same here. When edging out of the car park at the office at very low speed (just above the idle crawl speed) I can regularly get it to bunny hop just like i'm a learner driver with a MT. Give it a bit of pedal and it goes away quickly but like others its quite rough for a km or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

I have the E46 and E92 M3.

Definitely a yes for both cars.

In E46, accelerating at normal pace, the car definitely bucks. It almost feels like the power is coming on and off absurdly. This is for cold start. Meaning, first engine start in the morning. In about a minute or so, the car is smooth as silk.

With the E92 DCT, the bucking is not as pronounced as E46. I do feel/hear some transmission slack. This is probably due to the tranny oil not in the right operating temps/viscosity. Once tranny oil is warm, there is lesser slack and tranny sound. Not as jerky as the E46 but usually power delivery is smooth after much less than a minute.

My cold start idle for both cars is stable. Its only when you accelerate normally, the power delivery is intermittent.

Cold start issues are inherent in Individual throttle bodies as they are hard to tune even in factory form.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot View Post
I have the E46 and E92 M3.

Definitely a yes for both cars.

In E46, accelerating at normal pace, the car definitely bucks. It almost feels like the power is coming on and off absurdly. This is for cold start. Meaning, first engine start in the morning. In about a minute or so, the car is smooth as silk.

With the E92 DCT, the bucking is not as pronounced as E46. I do feel/hear some transmission slack. This is probably due to the tranny oil not in the right operating temps/viscosity. Once tranny oil is warm, there is lesser slack and tranny sound. Not as jerky as the E46 but usually power delivery is smooth after much less than a minute.

My cold start idle for both cars is stable. Its only when you accelerate normally, the power delivery is intermittent.

Cold start issues are inherent in Individual throttle bodies as they are hard to tune even in factory form.
Love your stable M3Pilot....I had an Evo IX before my M3, now also have an STi.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 03:38 AM   #10
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Love your stable M3Pilot....I had an Evo IX before my M3, now also have an STi.
Thanks SPQR M3

I take it your STi is now a full time attack machine ?

I used to have a MY03 GDB WRX, than I made the worst decision any Subaru owner would have by putting on the VF22 with Trust FMIC.

The Laggiest and regrettable decision I've ever made.

I still miss the Boxer tone of the EJ20T. Very straight forward and easy car to work on as compared to the Evo.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOM3JO View Post

Thank you......
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I personally LOVE the rough idle at start up. It sounds like such a monster when it fires up from a cold start. For the first 30 seconds it's a beast. I love people turning around to look at it when they walk by as it's roaring to life. I'll take the rough idle anyday for that sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
unhinged
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe

I totally agree with TX - absolutely love the rough idle on cold start - booms throughout the parking station. My brother tells me it reminds him of the Aussie Ford & Holden V8s of the 70s and 80s. Says if he owned it, he would go to BMW to see if he can get the car idling that way permanently.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #13
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
I totally agree with TX - absolutely love the rough idle on cold start - booms throughout the parking station. My brother tells me it reminds him of the Aussie Ford & Holden V8s of the 70s and 80s. Says if he owned it, he would go to BMW to see if he can get the car idling that way permanently.

You're not kidding. Thje cold start idle sound turns heads in the entire parking lot.
Man I would love if they could make it sound like that all the time. When I get off a late night shift at work I start the car and will stand next to it listening to that insane v8 cold start idle. It's pure euphoria and is one of the best sounding engines I've heard in the last 20 years.
Appreciate 0