Bimmerpost for iPhone and Android have just been updated with a host of bug fixes. If you've ever had trouble logging into it in the past, give it a try now!
BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

GetBMWParts

04-17-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Any other DIY'ers in the PNW want to lend a hand? (Seattle/Tacoma area)

Looking to see if any other DIY'ers in the area would like to lend a hand or some expertise with some upcoming installs I'm looking to do to my E90! I PCS'd here from the East Coast about a year ago, so I dont really have many friends outside of work, and none of my military buddies are car guys. Up to this point, I've done everything maintenance/mod related myself, but the M3 is the first and only car I've ever worked on and I don't really have any experience with suspension components or pressing out/pressing in new bushings, so I wouldn't mind having someone else around who has been there and done that.

List of mods on hand and waiting to be installed, in no particular order;
- subframe bushings
- diff bushings
- rear trailing link bearings
- rear camber arm bearings
- front and rear sway bars
- short shift kit
- 1 piece driveshaft
- big brake kit
- engine mounts
- stud kit

Mostly concerned with my ability to do the suspension related items, and obviously wouldn't be looking to install everything at once.

Let me know if anyone with some know-how around the E9X platform is free to meetup one of these weekends, food and beer will be on me! I'm located in Tacoma, but am cool with traveling to meetup. I have access to a shop on JBLM that has tools and lifts, or I can come to you if you have a setup at home; whatever is more convinient for you.

Much appreciated fellas!

Last edited by kamber; 04-17-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #2
TWiTCHY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Can't help you but if any of those installs need to be followed up by an alignment, would that change your mind in having some parts installed by a professional?

Also...post photos once your BBK is on!

If you learn how to do engine and/or transmission mounts, maybe I could swing by JBLM and have them done on a lift there? I'm in Puyallup.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
kamber
E90
Rep

I'm going to be having it aligned and corner balanced at Prova Motorsports by Chris afterwards, but I do want to stay committed to trying to DIY as much as possible and in-turn, learn more about modding and the inner workings of the E9X platform in general.

Transmission mounts are fairly easy I believe, engine mounts are a bit more involved. I've seen DIY guides for both on here, so I'll be tackling them at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #4
///3dkn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 // F15 X5 35d

Hey I'm in the military as well and might be able to help you as soon as I get back from deployment.

PM me.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
kerrit
Captain
Rep
Drives: MR 6MT ESS-550 E90 M3

Garage List
2003 4Runner  [0.00]
2008 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
BBK install is very easy - get this bleeder, makes that process super easy as well

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Produc...=brake+bleeder

You'll need a standing bearing/bushing press for the rear subframe bushings.. and I wouldn't want to tackle that job without a lift. It's possible but prepare for it to get annoying.

Engine mounts DIY is good - rent an engine hoist and make it even easier
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
kamber
E90
Rep

///3dkn:
Sounds good man; shoot me a PM when you're back and be safe.

Kerrit,
I already purchased a Motive euro black label bleeder a while back, thanks for the link though! I have access to a 2 post lift at the shop on base, which also has a bearing press. I havn't ever used a press before, so hopefully I don't damage the subframe when pressing in the new bearings.
Appreciate 0