BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #89
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I wasn't sure if he was talking about "breaks" or "brakes." With people's spelling these days, you never can tell.

If the former, I agree with you that the C63 has been solid so far. The only major issue with the M3 has been the DCT, which isn't surprising given the new technology involved.

If the latter, the M3 stops much shorter (likely due to its lesser weight).
I don't know any comparison test result off the top my head but I wouldn't be that much surprised if what your saying is true. However the 6 piston calibers front and 4 piston calibers in the back of the C63 are no slouch as I had some close calls already. The changing to Michelin PS2 also made a noticeable difference in braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #90
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
I don't know any comparison test result off the top my head but I wouldn't be that much surprised if what your saying is true. However the 6 piston calibers front and 4 piston calibers in the back of the C63 are no slouch as I had some close calls already. The changing to Michelin PS2 also made a noticeable difference in braking.
I based that statement off of this comparo by Evo. Obviously, it doesn't take into account other braking aspects, like fade.
      08-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #91
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

I have almost 11,000 miles on my first set of rears and I'm waiting to see cords. The right rear is pretty smooth now so I figure another 200 miles will be it. Yes I'm going for the record! (it appears everything is a competition with me, according to my spousal unit ) I do mostly freeway so I have racked up miles without as many chances to accelerate off the line and burn up tires. That explains it!

I don't really check my mpg but even with 85% freeway cruising I'm probably getting 18mpg overall. My spouse managed 22 mpg on an extended drive from Vegas to SoCal. I think I did 20mpg on the same trip.
      08-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #92
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I think both are great cars. the sound and power of the merc.... unreal... it will own the M3 in a drag race.

is the difference in handling that noticeable? unless you are racing , I don't think real world, street, daily driving really notices such small differences? don't hate me, I love my M3 and I used to really hate the C63 but I see more on the road and I keep hearing that sound of beast coming out from the pipes.... have to admit I'm a little jealous of the sound...

Looking back, if I could do it again, it would be a tough choice.. I think I still lean to M3 however the C63 is one bad sounding machine.

One passed me the other day and it must have been at WOT, man, music to my ears.. I couldn't even tell if my motor was running or not.

I have to say, they really should've tweaked our stock exhaust a bit dont you think?

all that being said, the M does win on a track and it at least keeps up with the merc in a straight line with 55% less engine! MPG's on the merc are horrible.

guess I made the right choice lol...

sorry for rambling on

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #93
ihatepotholes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: infiniti M45

i love the C63, we have a couple of em in our town. very aggressive looking, i've seen one gunning it, the sound is music to my ears and it looks like the front almost lifted. but heres something about an M3 thats more desirable to me... don't know what it is, but e92 m3 is my choice. if i had to get a sedan, i'd be the c63
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #94
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

styling wise, the c63 just looks like it came straight off from the chrysler design studio. Cheap looking, there is nothing original or fluid about it. This apply to pretty much the entire merc lineup with maybe the exception of the sl65 black series.

so no, M3 hands down.

Speaking about sound. amg or any car in it class won't be able to beat the top end music produced by the m engine. I mean you have many car that sound similar to the amg such as s5, isf, rs4, vette, pretty much any low rev big displacement engine. But very few can produce the beautiful sound of the m3.

Stock m3 < stock c63 amg.
Aftermarket exaust m3 > aftermarket c63 amg.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #95
Sincity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vs C63-undecided.EDIT: C63

I averaged about 19 mpg the day I brought my new C63 home from Torrance, CA to Vegas. Not bad for a vehicle that hasn't been broken in yet.

One thing that disappointed me is that AMG uses a "log" style exhaust manifold which is nowhere as efficient as the "shorty" headers you M guys have. On the flipside, there are LT and shorty headers available to us that adds about 25-30 crank HP.

I like the they way the M3 sounds higher up on the RPM range. Riyatch and I did a roll to 70 from a stoplight and when I backed off, I heard the high pitch revs climb as he sped away.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #96
boombastic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 AMS GT-R & Powerchip X5M

for the look M3 coupe > C63 > M3 sedan. c63 sounds very good, please dont just listen from youtube. they are good in different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
styling wise, the c63 just looks like it came straight off from the chrysler design studio. Cheap looking, there is nothing original or fluid about it. This apply to pretty much the entire merc lineup with maybe the exception of the sl65 black series.

so no, M3 hands down.

Speaking about sound. amg or any car in it class won't be able to beat the top end music produced by the m engine. I mean you have many car that sound similar to the amg such as s5, isf, rs4, vette, pretty much any low rev big displacement engine. But very few can produce the beautiful sound of the m3.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #97
diononiz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab

I was deciding between the two and while It was a very difficult decision, I am very happy. Here are the factors (in my opinon so your mileage may vary)

Exterior:

I thought the C63 looked really nice and aggressive but it still looked like a regular C with added AMG bodykit. I really liked the C63 exhaust and rear diffuser. Overall I preferred the design of the M3. It just seemed better integrated and flowed better, to me a more unified design The M3 looks a bit less "mean" but still very aggressive. I really like the front bumper design and side profile.

Interior:

I really dont like the shiny plasticky interior of the C63. Honestly, I felt it was a step back from the previous generation. I did like the pop up Nav screen and the seats but overall the interior was a slight downer. The M3 looked better to my eye. The interior just seemed more upscale and the seats are very impressive with more adjustments.

Engine:

While I enjoyed reving the M3 engine and appreciate the power it makes, I really like the torque and exhaust sound from the C63. That engine is a beast and the torque is just awesome.

Suspension

Call me soft but coming from a 535i I found the suspension a bit too firm in the C63. The adjustable suspension in the m3 I found to be the perfect blend between sportiness and confort. I also found the C63 a bit heavy feeling and didnt feel as nimble.

X factors

Both cars have a great incentives right now (especially the C63 with 7500 off) but the included maintence for the BMW is nice. My father in law has an AMG car out of warranty and they are very expensive to maintain. These cars are so close that I had to consider the little things. The BMW was also available in a manual transmission. I had the Sport Automatic transmission in my 535i and although it shifted very fast, I was honestly bored. The M3 is also available in a convertible. Yes I know performance is going to be degraded by chopping off the roof, but since I live in CA I was willing to sacrifice some performance for the open air motoring

I ultimately decided on the M3 convertible. Although I miss the engine and the straight line speed of the C63 (and the coupe and sedan version of the M3 for that matter) I am very happy with my decision. Since I personally dont drive that aggressively on the street, the m3 cab has more than enough performace for me.

Last edited by diononiz; 08-15-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #98
boombastic
Private First Class
Rep

agree with it. C63 interior really sucks, so M3 hands down. suspension, M3 hands down. for sound C63 stock hands down and torque is awesome. the look, depends what you prefer. i love both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post
I was deciding between the two and decided on....... It was a very difficult decision but I am very happy with my decions. Here are the factors (in my opinon so your mileage may vary)

Exterior:

Really liked the C63 exhaust but ultimately prefered the lines of the M3 better. It just seemed better integrated and flowed better. I thought the C63 looked really nice and aggressive but just not cohesive. The M3 looks a bit less "mean" but still aggressive. I just felt the lines looked better

Interior:

I really dont like the shiny plasticy interior of the C63. Honestly felt it was a step back from the previous generation. I did like the pop up Nav screen and the seats but the plasticy interior was just a total downer. The M3 looked better to my eye. The interior just seemed more upscale and the seats were equally impressive with more adjust ment

Engine:

While I enjoyed reving the M3 engine and appreciated the power it made I really liked the torque and exhaust sound from the C63. That engine is a beast and the torque is just awesome

Suspension

Call me soft but coming from a 535i I found the suspension a bit too firm. The adjustable suspension in the BMW I found to be the perfect blend between sportiness and confort. I also found the C63 a bit heavy feeling and at least to me didnt feel as nimble

X factors

Both cars have a great incentives right now (especially the C63 with 7500 off) but the included maintence for the BMW is nice. My father in law has an AMG car out of warranty and they are very expensive to maintain. These cars are so close that I had to consider the little things. The BMW was also available in a manual transmission. I had the Sport Automatic transmission in my 535i and although it shifted very fast, I was honestly bored. The M3 is also available in a convertible. Yes I know performance is going to be degraded by chopping off the roof, but since i live in CA I was willing to sacrifice some performance for the open air motoring

I ultimately decided on the M3 convertible. Although I miss the engine and the straight line speed of the C63 (and the coupe and sedan version of the M3 for that matter) I am very happy with my decision. Since I personally dont drive that aggressively on the street, the m3 cab has more than enough performace me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #99
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

so no, M3 hands down.

Looks are subjective just like many qualities in a car. Your first paragraph however is the typical smear comments which at this point need no reply because they only support the weak opinion you have. A C63 doesn't sound like a S5, RS4, IS-F or a C6 Vette. All cars have a unique exhaust sound to each. Not to mention if your describing all those particular cars as "Low-Revving" and "Big displacement" you might want to get your facts checked especially on the Audi side. Furthermore how is it possible you can state stock for stock a C63 sound better but aftermarket to aftermarket a M3 sounds better? Have you watched any of those videos with the Evosport C63 running? You must think the rasp of the E46 M3 sounds good at 8000rpm as well. BTW I have owned that car as well and it probably has one of the worst exhaust sounds for a sports car ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #100
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:

so no, M3 hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
Looks are subjective just like many qualities in a car. Your first paragraph however is the typical smear comments which at this point need no reply because they only support the weak opinion you have. A C63 doesn't sound like a S5, RS4, IS-F or a C6 Vette. All cars have a unique exhaust sound to each. Not to mention if your describing all those particular cars as "Low-Revving" and "Big displacement" you might want to get your facts checked especially on the Audi side. Furthermore how is it possible you can state stock for stock a C63 sound better but aftermarket to aftermarket a M3 sounds better? Have you watched any of those videos with the Evosport C63 running? You must think the rasp of the E46 M3 sounds good at 8000rpm as well. BTW I have owned that car as well and it probably has one of the worst exhaust sounds for a sports car ever.
+1 Mike.

Graider you seem to have a pretty narrow-minded view on Mercs. First off, no way in hell does that 6.2L sound like Audi's 4.2L V8. Not even remotely. And I'm sorry, the M3's 4.0L sounds like a little baby in comparison, including aftermarket vs aftermarket (although the M3's has a nicer tone in the upper range of the revs modded).

Looks-wise, I'll give the nod to the E90/92, but let me say that the C63 definitely has it wooped in the road presence department. The M3's profile just looks soft in comparison to the C63's. Front on, I'm not a fan of the Merc entirely. The lower air dam is a little cluttery, and the molding isn't that great. The rear means business though, and is arguably better than the messy convolutions of the e92's and the pillowy softness of the e90's.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #101
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

To explain what I meant about the profile of the e92 looking like the pillsbury dough boy in comparison to the C63's, here (I know it's not an M3, but it's close enough):
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #102
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
To explain what I meant about the profile of the e92 looking like the pillsbury dough boy in comparison to the C63's, here (I know it's not an M3, but it's close enough):
I agree that the C63 looks more "chiseled" than the M3, but the comparison with the 335 isn't fair. The flaired wheel arches and other design cues make the M3 look far more aggressive than the standard 3er, which looks flat and soft by comparison.
      08-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #103
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I'm a great fan of BMW and have owned many in my lifetime. However, I feel that the current BMWs do look sorta fat. Like the Michelin Man, or Pillsbury Dough Boy.

I shopped the M5 before getting my E63 AMG, and the side view just looks a bit porky. I hope they change it eventually. fwiw, I liked the M5 but chose the E63 because I admit I wanted comfort and power.

The M5 was too stiff and I just couldn't quite cruise with it comfortably over a long time like the E63. And both are way too big and heavy for real canyon carving. The AMG tuned AirMatic suspension is perfect for me with its adjustable settings yet still tight. And anyway, I have the Porsche for the canyons and a stiff super precise ride.

Anyway, I find the new BMWs kinda bulbous looking. But I'm looking forward to the F10 with high hopes.

Last edited by stickypaws; 08-17-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #104
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I prefer the e60 M5's styling over anything offered by MBZ. I'm glad a lot of the styling ques from the M5 carried over to the M3. Love it! The C63 is a clown, trying too hard to look like a DTM car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I'm a great fan of BMW and have owned many in my lifetime. However, I feel that the current BMWs do look sorta fat. Like the Michelin Man, or Pillsbury Dough Boy.

I shopped the M5 before getting my E63 AMG, and the side view just looks a bit porky. I hope they change it eventually. fwiw, I liked the M5 but chose the E63 because I admit I wanted comfort and power.

The M5 was too stiff and I just couldn't quite cruise with it comfortably over a long time like the E63. And both are way too big and heavy for real canyon carving. The AMG tuned AirMatic suspension is perfect for me with its adjustable settings yet still tight. And anyway, I have the Porsche for the canyons and a stiff super precise ride.

Anyway, I find the new BMWs kinda bulbous looking. But I'm looking forward to the F10 with high hopes.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #105
boombastic
Private First Class
Rep

just another narrow-minded guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I prefer the e60 M5's styling over anything offered by MBZ. I'm glad a lot of the styling ques from the M5 carried over to the M3. Love it! The C63 is a clown, trying too hard to look like a DTM car.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #106
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I prefer the e60 M5's styling over anything offered by MBZ. No issues its your opinion. I'm glad a lot of the styling ques from the M5 carried over to the M3. Love it! The M3 styling shares very little when compared to the M5. First off the side gills were established by the E46 M3. The M5 doesn't have the power dome hood as first established on the E46 M3. The distinctive side mirrors were established on the E36 M3 (could have series wrong). In fact the only styling aspect derived from the M5 is the dual exhaust that came on the E39. The C63 is a clown, trying too hard to look like a DTM car. Looks like someone is getting little defensive of there purchase here. Shows a difference in the class of ownership between two different vehicles. You don't see me ever denigrating the M3 (Ricer,POS, etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #107
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

+1^
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #108
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Interesting. I post my appreciation of a car I almost bought (and have owned in the past) yet make one design comment, and someone immediately starts off with the fanboy stuff. And the thread breaks down all over again. I even mentioned that I'm looking forward to the new 5er model as a potential purchase. And I brought up an already known controversial design as it is anyway.

And then somebody links my post and responds about the C63 and M3. Two cars I never mentioned. And now the trash talk starts up once again. Sigh.

This forum is becoming useless. Nobody can talk about anything unless it's some sort of BMW pep rally. I don't get it. Are people so insecure that they can't realize these are cars and nothing else. What you own doesn't determine who you are as a human being. Or your intelligence. Or status in life. Far from it. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. Most posters seem to be living that BMW owner stereotype, which is truly unfortunate. Unbeknownst to them, they are perpetuating that (inauspicious and overgeneralized) myth.

This is one of the most juvenile car forums on the internet, imho. I'm on it because I am a BMW fan and former owner (of many), and am ready for another car to add soon. Occasionally there's some good info here.

Why is it that other car forums can maturely discuss the pros and cons of their cars (and other makes) but rarely here?

This place sometimes feels like being in high school all over again. Which was a long time ago for me and a place I'm not interested in re-visiting.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #109
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Interesting. I post my appreciation of a car I almost bought (and have owned in the past) yet make one design comment, and someone immediately starts off with the fanboy stuff. And the thread breaks down all over again. I even mentioned that I'm looking forward to the new 5er model as a potential purchase. And I brought up an already known controversial design as it is anyway.

And then somebody links my post and responds about the C63 and M3. Two cars I never mentioned. And now the trash talk starts up once again. Sigh.

This forum is becoming useless. Nobody can talk about anything unless it's some sort of BMW pep rally. I don't get it. Are people so insecure that they can't realize these are cars and nothing else. What you own doesn't determine who you are as a human being. Or your intelligence. Or status in life. Far from it. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. Most posters seem to be living that BMW owner stereotype, which is truly unfortunate. Unbeknownst to them, they are perpetuating that (inauspicious and overgeneralized) myth.

This is one of the most juvenile car forums on the internet, imho. I'm on it because I am a BMW fan and former owner (of many), and am ready for another car to add soon. Occasionally there's some good info here.

Why is it that other car forums can maturely discuss the pros and cons of their cars (and other makes) but rarely here?

This place sometimes feels like being in high school all over again. Which was a long time ago for me and a place I'm not interested in re-visiting.
It's been like that since late '07 and on to be honest. It went downhill fast after most of the old time recurring members stopped going. A new wave of kids hit the off-topic forum and it's been trickling into the rest of the forum. It sucks. I stopped going here for a couple of months but eventually got dragged back here because I have nothing to do at work.

You sort of just learn to put up with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #110
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
It's been like that since late '07 and on to be honest. It went downhill fast after most of the old time recurring members stopped going. A new wave of kids hit the off-topic forum and it's been trickling into the rest of the forum. It sucks. I stopped going here for a couple of months but eventually got dragged back here because I have nothing to do at work.

You sort of just learn to put up with it.
Yeah, I get swept up in the bs, too, sometimes. I take several long breaks while working and come on here for a diversion. And lately it's become more like entertainment for me than any real car discussion.

I'm beginning to realize that the recent thread here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292349 was actually something else altogether that no one really picked up on (including me.) I'm thinking it was intentionally a parody of the fanboys here. A kind of test, or 'trap.' Or maybe an art project
Appreciate 0