BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Planning an exhaust upgrade without having to chop and change is the ideal situation as it saves hassle and the expense.

People are buying loud rear silencers (race versions) first and then when they want more power they are plagued with an insane amount of noise which they are almost forced to live with. They convince themselves it's all ok and they love the loudness but really they don't and as soon as money becomes available you see a quieter exhaust setup appearing.

Always buy the X Pipe first or just do the test pipes and a rear silencer.
If the final few HP is required or a little more noise then the entire X Pipe can be changed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Would the combination of challenge x-sport pipe and meist...GTC EV controlled muffler (~$4200) work in your favor? Quiet and loud at the flick of a switch?
yes it would if your looking for a valved setup.
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Planning an exhaust upgrade without having to chop and change is the ideal situation as it saves hassle and the expense.

People are buying loud rear silencers (race versions) first and then when they want more power they are plagued with an insane amount of noise which they are almost forced to live with. They convince themselves it's all ok and they love the loudness but really they don't and as soon as money becomes available you see a quieter exhaust setup appearing.

If the final few HP is required or a little more noise then the entire X Pipe can be changed.

your right, i had the race muffler when the car was still under warranty, as soon as my warranty was up i dropped a full system and a tune. Loud is nice when you can control it ( valved )
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post

The reason I went muffler first was because I did the OEM exhaust mod. At $300-ish, it makes perfect sense. Then the mod bug bites and before I know it here I am with test pipes.

So yea I went back with quieter exhaust. It's an expensive game haha
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
EliteM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

OP, that sound is pretty intoxicating. I am wondering:

1) What are your thoughts on the in-cabin sound change? Is there a significant change over OEM?

2) Do you have, or can you make a video from in the cabin with windows up, and down?

Great review, and truly love the sound from outside!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteM3 View Post
OP, that sound is pretty intoxicating. I am wondering:

1) What are your thoughts on the in-cabin sound change? Is there a significant change over OEM?

2) Do you have, or can you make a video from in the cabin with windows up, and down?

Great review, and truly love the sound from outside!
Windows up the Akra is almost the same as stock. Windows down you hear it but you can easily have a conv. or listen to the radio. The Akra has a much deeper sound down low when compared to the oem muffler with pipes. As for the Gt2 with pipe, it was loud 99.99% of the times and it droned inside for the most part. ill try to get a cabin video for soon

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #29
f32458
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice videos! Recently I had my iPE mufflers swapped to stock while retaining iPE x pipes. I think I lost some low end torque with my current setup. Now, I am thinking to use the stock X pipe with iPE mufflers.

my exhaust history with S65:
1. stock was too quiet
2. Akra evo added power and torque but droned pretty bad in the cabin
3. iPE F1, it was just SOOOOO fricking loud but it was okay with valve closed but I lost torque on low RPM
4. I had iPE did a custom job on the x pipe, it improved torque. it was either pretty loud or murmured.
5. iPE x pipes with stock mufflers, I have no clue what are the cat flows or resonators.

I have really consider going back to full stock as I have no clue which setup gains power or loose power. Perhaps I will regret it being too " quiet ". Please help me out! The only mod I have is the exhaust.

Last edited by f32458; 06-27-2013 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Awesome Vids!! I too went from too loud, too quiet, to just right!
      06-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #31
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32458 View Post
Nice videos! Recently I had my iPE mufflers swapped to stock while retaining iPE x pipes. I think I lost some low end torque with my current setup. Now, I am thinking to use the stock X pipe with iPE mufflers.

my exhaust history with S65:
1. stock was too quiet
2. Akra evo added power and torque but droned pretty bad in the cabin
3. iPE F1, it was just SOOOOO fricking loud but it was okay with valve closed but I lost torque on low RPM
4. I had iPE did a custom job on the x pipe, it improved torque. it was either pretty loud or murmured.
5. iPE x pipes with stock mufflers, I have no clue what are the cat flows or resonators.

I have really consider going back to full stock as I have no clue which setup gains power or loose power. Perhaps I will regret it being too " quiet ". Please help me out! The only mod I have is the exhaust.
You cannot lose torque going back to the stock rear section over a design such as the IPE.

Akrapovic EVO can only really heavily drone inside cabin upon incorrect installation where the X Pipe slightly touches the exhaust support or is under too much tension.

Your best option if you want a very quiet life is a very high quality X Pipe with resonators + high flow CATS and your rear stock exhaust
OR
Properly designed primary CAT delete pipes with a very sensible high quality rear mufflers like the Eisenmann Sport, Evolve E-Tronic, Dinan, Akrapovic Slip on.... etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #32
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

decisions... decisions... I'm wanting to add either the Dinan X-pipe or Akrapovic X-pipe to match my Meisterschaft GT to make more power.

I have a feeling I'll think it'll be too loud and will have to make the decision of
a) loving it (optimal)
b) reverting back to the stock x-pipe and keeping the Meisterschaft GT (less power but retain Meisterschaft sound)
c) buying an akrapovic muffler and keeping the dinan/akrapovic x-pipe (retain power but lose the Meisterschaft sound I love so much)

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #33
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post
decisions... decisions... I'm wanting to add either the Dinan X-pipe or Akrapovic X-pipe to match my Meisterschaft GT to make more power.

I have a feeling I'll think it'll be too loud and will have to make the decision of
a) loving it (optimal)
b) reverting back to the stock x-pipe and keeping the Meisterschaft GT (less power but retain Meisterschaft sound)
c) buying an akrapovic muffler and keeping the dinan/akrapovic x-pipe (retain power but lose the Meisterschaft sound I love so much)
i was running a GT2 which is a totally different story. I think a GT with HFC in the primary position, like Gintani or fabspeed wouldnt get too loud, and you will get nice gains. If you want to go full catless, go with something with quad resonators, like the Dinan or the Gintani. Challenge sport or Akra is another option but i think the GT would sound much better with HFC in the primary position. Another thing to note, you will need adapters to fit anything to an Akra x-pipe, which are pretty hard to find.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #34
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

You guys wanna know loud? if you guys can help me figure out how to upload a video i will, i just need help lol

M Performance with a cat-less full straight Meisterschaft x-pipe, ohh it's discontinued.
it sounds stupid loud.

Last edited by MTrezzz; 07-04-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #35
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
That GT2 was very loud.

I went from loud to very loud and again very loud, settled with quiet now.
1. Eisenmann Race. Sounded pretty good and i liked the tone. But wanted MOAR
2. RPI GTM. Very loud, most power, but lots of drone and the mufflers hang too low.
3. Gintani race. Awesome sound. Very deep and throaty. Big tips improved look but even though it was resonated, it still droned badly.
4. Akra Evo. A bit too quiet but no drone at all and gives you lots of power. Happy girlfriend mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
You guys wanna know loud? if you guys can help me figure out how to upload a video i will, i just need help lol

M Performance with a cat-less full straight Meisterschaft x-pipe, ohh it's discontinued.
it sounds stupid loud.
Upload it on Youtube.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
f32458
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

What's the most mellow setup with the most gain? ( especially low end torque ) I had Akra evo and it droned at low RPM and a dip under 3k RPM
      07-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #37
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post

it sounds stupid loud.
loud does not mean nice! im assuming you have one raspy setup.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #38
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32458 View Post
What's the most mellow setup with the most gain? ( especially low end torque ) I had Akra evo and it droned at low RPM and a dip under 3k RPM
i actually think Akra with challenge sport sounds awesome! drone is basically none existent, sounds great when you push the car.

you will always have a dip in torque when removing the front cats, get a tune to take care of that dip and gain some power.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
That GT2 was very loud.

I went from loud to very loud and again very loud, settled with quiet now.
1. Eisenmann Race. Sounded pretty good and i liked the tone. But wanted MOAR
2. RPI GTM. Very loud, most power, but lots of drone and the mufflers hang too low.
3. Gintani race. Awesome sound. Very deep and throaty. Big tips improved look but even though it was resonated, it still droned badly.
4. Akra Evo. A bit too quiet but no drone at all and gives you lots of power. Happy girlfriend mode

Upload it on Youtube.
I was shocked at how quiet the Eisenmann Race is. That thing was quieter than my ACM exhaust mod.

Everyone also said catless Eisenmann Race would be too loud and I assure you it's not! Under 3k, it's absolutely mellow (windows down, I can hear music no problem). Go over 4k with heavy throttle and it roars.

It's seriously amazing how this exhaust can be so tame yet so exciting at the same time. I finally found my perfect setup.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #40
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Damn I wish you had clips of the oem rear and challenge sport... I'm really considering that route as I have the oem mod (perf. Method) and want a tad more sound with the benefits of removing the primaries. Every vid I've seen so far makes this set up to be prettyyy loud but I'm not sure in real life. This is my DD.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Damn I wish you had clips of the oem rear and challenge sport... I'm really considering that route as I have the oem mod (perf. Method) and want a tad more sound with the benefits of removing the primaries. Every vid I've seen so far makes this set up to be prettyyy loud but I'm not sure in real life. This is my DD.
Will be loud and very raspy.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #42
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
i ran a stock muffler without the mod. i would guess it would be really loud in a bad way.

Appreciate 0