BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

01-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
What front adapter are you referring to?
This: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-M3-S65_4.0L/ES251251/

But I've never seen anything for the actual jack stand location points, other than a piece of wood.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I guess I'm not understanding what you are trying to do.

Those ECS adapters are for the 4 rectangular jack points in-front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. This type of adapter can be used on a jack or on top of a jack stand. There is a fifth cylindrical rubber lift point between the front wheels that it sounds like you were referring to but those adapters will not fit it.

I drive up onto my race ramps and use a special adapter that I made to lift the car from the 'front' jack point between the wheels. Then I place my jack stands at the 'lift' points behind the font wheels and use my ECS style adapters. If I'm also lifting the rear then I either use two jacks with adapters on the rear points and secure with jack stands under the rear control arms or I lift the car from the rear frame and rest the two rear lift points on jack stands with adapters.

Using my method I can have all 4 wheels off of the ground safely in just a few minutes.

Good luck with whatever you're trying to do.. Just be sure to not get crushed or slip a lift point and punch a hole in your car!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
I guess I'm not understanding what you are trying to do.

Those ECS adapters are for the 4 rectangular jack points in-front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. This type of adapter can be used on a jack or on top of a jack stand. There is a fifth cylindrical rubber lift point between the front wheels that it sounds like you were referring to but those adapters will not fit it.

I drive up onto my race ramps and use a special adapter that I made to lift the car from the 'front' jack point between the wheels. Then I place my jack stands at the 'lift' points behind the font wheels and use my ECS style adapters. If I'm also lifting the rear then I either use two jacks with adapters on the rear points and secure with jack stands under the rear control arms or I lift the car from the rear frame and rest the two rear lift points on jack stands with adapters.

Using my method I can have all 4 wheels off of the ground safely in just a few minutes.

Good luck with whatever you're trying to do.. Just be sure to not get crushed or slip a lift point and punch a hole in your car!
OK, I misunderstood what that ECS adapter is used for. I thought it was for the central jack point under between the front wheels. What do I need for that?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
OK, I misunderstood what that ECS adapter is used for. I thought it was for the central jack point under between the front wheels. What do I need for that?
I've looked it that thing several times but never had the guts to use it as a jack point.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I've looked it that thing several times but never had the guts to use it as a jack point.

Well, this one on eBay has 4 little plastic nubs that I swore I read (on this site) were used to secure the adapter better into the jack points. But maybe I was just confusing the "standard 4" jack points with the central jacking point between the two front wheels.

I think I may get the one on ebay, but I'll need two at minimum.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Well, this one on eBay has 4 little plastic nubs that I swore I read (on this site) were used to secure the adapter better into the jack points. But maybe I was just confusing the "standard 4" jack points with the central jacking point between the two front wheels.

I think I may get the one on ebay, but I'll need two at minimum.
Those are the ones that I originally posted in the thread. Those are only for the side jacking points. I bought 4.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Quote:
You don't need anything for the front central jacking point. However, the car is too low (at least the ZCP ride height is) to fit most jacks under the car to reach that point, so it's best to get yourself some 1"x8" (or even a 2"x8")planks of wood, cut to about 24" in length, place them right in front of your front tires, and drive up on top of them. You can then push the jack comfortably far enough under the car to reach the central jacking point. It's a flat disc, so it makes good and solid contact with the cup on the jack.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Those are the ones that I originally posted in the thread. Those are only for the side jacking points. I bought 4.
OK, I see now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
You don't need anything for the front central jacking point. However, the car is too low (at least the ZCP ride height is) to fit most jacks under the car to reach that point, so it's best to get yourself some 1"x8" (or even a 2"x8")planks of wood, cut to about 24" in length, place them right in front of your front tires, and drive up on top of them. You can then push the jack comfortably far enough under the car to reach the central jacking point. It's a flat disc, so it makes good and solid contact with the cup on the jack.
Ah... this whole time I was thinking we needed something for that front/central jacking point. Good tips on the wood. I think I'm too cheap right now for race ramps, so I'll head to Home Depot.
Appreciate 0