BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

01-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Cleaning Windows

Gents,

I just cleaned my car... and have an annoying problem - I'm using a great streak-free window cleaner - but with the water being so hard here in QLD - I still have some water marks.. what is the best cleaner to get rid of these.. I know... I hate being this meticulous!

Also - any recommendations for tyre blackening products?
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

i think the trick is that as soon as you've washed it you have to get it out of the sun. I make sure that I give it a good drenching then a sec burn up the street then straight into the garage. I work real hard straight away to work on the side of the car that had to most sun on it while I am washing it as it always get dry and leaves marks super fast. I dry off the roof, glass and bonnet straight away and then work around the rest of the car. If you leave the glass until later you are bound to get crusty bits. Our water is terrible!!!!

I had terrible water marks on my bonnet last weekend when I was cleaning it and it took a pre wax oil and then a coat of wax to get rid of it.....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

when i get really stubborn water marks, i use a clay bar and it really helps.

i have used Adams glass cleaner and Stoners. both are great, but im leaning towards Stoners.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
aussieE90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Vw Passat

hey zender,
on my windows i use only a clean microfibre cloth to get it dryish, then once its dry i go back over them with a dry microfibre cloth. sometimes u have to scrub a little to get some of the spots off but i guarantee no streaks. never used a window cleaner on it. give it a go, you'll be suprised
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygilbo View Post
i think the trick is that as soon as you've washed it you have to get it out of the sun. I make sure that I give it a good drenching then a sec burn up the street then straight into the garage. I work real hard straight away to work on the side of the car that had to most sun on it while I am washing it as it always get dry and leaves marks super fast. I dry off the roof, glass and bonnet straight away and then work around the rest of the car. If you leave the glass until later you are bound to get crusty bits. Our water is terrible!!!!

I had terrible water marks on my bonnet last weekend when I was cleaning it and it took a pre wax oil and then a coat of wax to get rid of it.....
Hmmm.... What a pain in the arse... I think I'm going to have to either rewash the car to get rid of some of those water marks... or otherwise do the same as you gilbo... Grumble!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausM3 View Post
hey zender,
on my windows i use only a clean microfibre cloth to get it dryish, then once its dry i go back over them with a dry microfibre cloth. sometimes u have to scrub a little to get some of the spots off but i guarantee no streaks. never used a window cleaner on it. give it a go, you'll be suprised
Thanks Aus - I have a special Window Cleaner (Stoners Streakfree for Cars). So it is quite gentle... I have two microfibre cloths for exactly the purpose that you described...

Basically... I had to wash some dirt/bird shite off my car... and as I live in an apartment... it is hard to arrange a hose etc.. (I don't have one). So I stopped off at a self-service wash and got it all off ASAP. Problem was I didn't have my cleaning gear with me... so I had to drive home first... by the time I wiped the car down.. there were quite a few watermarks.. grrr!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

Try Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel- don’t apply thickly at all - just a smear and you get a mild shine but nothing too blingy and no sling off. A bottle lasts years if you use it in the right proportion with a bit of foam.

http://www.waxit.com.au/proddetail.a...=PIN700&cat=30
Appreciate 0