BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
There is more to a tune than just WOT power
On Sunday morning I finally got chance to take the car out for a fun drive on an amazing stretch of Highway 1 ( http://goo.gl/maps/ccWSP )

The difference is just astonishing. So responsive and smooth. Not had that much fun in a long time!

...and the best bit is that I probably didn't even break the speed limit!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Thanks guys. We also have awesome DCT transmission software around the corner... It really turns heads... or should I say snaps necks
will this part of the tune be included in the $1k price? If so, you may have a new customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
How old was the Dinan tune you replaced? The same since Oct '11?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

I don't think a tune is a tune, but I believe some tunes will work better with certain set-ups. I've been running a Dinan tune since I took delivery over 2 years ago and I've never experienced any of the problems OP speaks of. I definitely believe that Dinan's tune is made for their performance parts. I don't think anyone would run a Dinan tune as a stand alone mod. But when you install all things Dinan (exhaust, mid-pipe, intake, and pulley) it's got to be one of the most linear and compatible set-ups on the market. Not doubting OP's claim, I just think the set-up was wrong...................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I don't think a tune is a tune, but I believe some tunes will work better with certain set-ups. I've been running a Dinan tune since I took delivery over 2 years ago and I've never experienced any of the problems OP speaks of. I definitely believe that Dinan's tune is made for their performance parts. I don't think anyone would run a Dinan tune as a stand alone mod. But when you install all things Dinan (exhaust, mid-pipe, intake, and pulley) it's got to be one of the most linear and compatible set-ups on the market. Not doubting OP's claim, I just think the set-up was wrong...................Phil

Going to have to disagree here. We've retuned a number of cars with this setup - everything Dinan.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826311
(An example)

If you were local I would flash you with our software to test so you could see the difference.

vastano: Unfortunately the DCT flashes are not included, although we might offer some sort of package for this in the future.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Going to have to disagree here. We've retuned a number of cars with this setup - everything Dinan.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826311
(An example)

If you were local I would flash you with our software to test so you could see the difference.

vastano: Unfortunately the DCT flashes are not included, although we might offer some sort of package for this in the future.
I don't understand your disagreement Mike. I'm not saying Dinan is the best of the best. My point is a Dinan tune is probably best served with Dinan performance parts. Your tune may be able to run with many set-ups.....including everything Dinan, but OP's issue was the tune, not the parts. So your tune seems to have saved the day for him ...............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't understand your disagreement Mike. I'm not saying Dinan is the best of the best. My point is a Dinan tune is probably best served with Dinan performance parts. Your tune may be able to run with many set-ups.....including everything Dinan, but OP's issue was the tune, not the parts. So your tune seems to have saved the day for him ...............Phil
Ahh, sorry man, I read it wrong.

Yeah, DINAN has great parts. I'm about to pull the trigger on their intake, it's a masterpiece.

I had their exhaust on my E60 M5 and thought it was fantastic.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Thanks guys. We also have awesome DCT transmission software around the corner... It really turns heads... or should I say snaps necks
Oooh...I was very interested in a getting tune from you guys already...but now I am on the edge of my seat!

Looking forward to an update when you have one (including what kind of package you may offer...hint hint!).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #31
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
I have Dinan pulleys, mid section, rear section, stage II tune and all of the same complaints as the OP. I have to leave for work at 04:30 am and my neighbors all know it.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #32
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Unfortunately the DCT flashes are not included, although we might offer some sort of package for this in the future.
Sent you a PM.
      05-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #33
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
How old was the Dinan tune you replaced? The same since Oct '11?
The Dinan tune on my car had been re-flashed several times over the course of the past few years and was up to the current revision when I made the change to Mike's tune. After a few months of driving and enjoying the tune I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Does it make more power than before? I have NO clue. It feels better, smoother, and faster when I drive it and at the end of the day that's all that matters even if it's confirmation bias in my brain.

Does it start every morning smoothly and are my neighbors and wife happy with the switch? Yes.

At the end of the day I don't care how anyone else spends their money and on what tunes or mods, because what really matters is that each of us is satisfied with our investments. For me the switch was money well spent and Mike was a pleasure to work with. I hope that everyone has the same experience working with Mike or any of the other quality dealers and manufactures that support our car addictions (or afflictions as our wives often view it).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

why would you keep cold start with removal of the cats? It must be insanely loud.

I had cold start removed out of respect for my neighbors. I have noticed a difference in power delivery and smoothness with V2 of the ESS tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #35
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOSS M View Post
why would you keep cold start with removal of the cats? It must be insanely loud.

I had cold start removed out of respect for my neighbors. I have noticed a difference in power delivery and smoothness with V2 of the ESS tune.
The Dinan software I originally purchased said that it would remove the cold start, but it DID NOT and IT WAS insanely loud and also made the car un-driveable for several minutes. The BPMSport tune removes it perfectly and now I jump in and drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #36
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOSS M View Post
Not sure what you consider loud but it's not much louder to me. As for the neighbors.....one of mine has a supercharged Vette with no cats so I'm fairly quiet compared to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeferland View Post
The Dinan software I originally purchased said that it would remove the cold start, but it DID NOT and IT WAS insanely loud and also made the car un-driveable for several minutes.
Did some dealer tell you it would remove "cold start".......because the Dinan info only states increased rev limiter and removal of top speed governor. Also, not sure why you were not able to drive the car for several minutes.........Phil
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #37
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did some dealer tell you it would remove "cold start".......because the Dinan info only states increased rev limiter and removal of top speed governor. Also, not sure why you were not able to drive the car for several minutes.........Phil
Yes, both the dealer as well as Dinan (on multiple occasions) stated the "cold start" would be removed by their software.
      05-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Is there still loads of clutch slip on cold start with cold start sequence removal? The sound is ok in my car, it's just super embarrassing to back out of my driveway cuz I have to floor the car to get it to move, hah

(For DCT's)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #39
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Is there still loads of clutch slip on cold start with cold start sequence removal? The sound is ok in my car, it's just super embarrassing to back out of my driveway cuz I have to floor the car to get it to move, hah

(For DCT's)
This is significantly improved.

It's touched on it a little bit here from a previous review:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744663

Appreciate 0