BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

comfort access: 1 me: 0

So I stopped by the dealer today to have the coolant topped off and have them take a look at an issue regarding the fit of a piece of door trim, and got an unexpected surprise on the way home. Everything went as expected with the coolant, etc., and I got in my car and headed to the barber shop to get a haircut. While driving down the on-ramp to the expressway I heard an unexpected noise on the roof of my car, but I didn't think too much of it.

Anyhow, I get out of the car at the barber shop and the car door won't lock. I check my pockets and can find no key, but at this point I actually feel slightly relieved and remember that the dealer must have left the key in the ignition. However, I check the ignition and it isn't there. I then press the starter button thinking that maybe there's a chance the key fell out of my pocket onto the floor, but the car won't start. The key is gone, and I'm now temporarily stranded. WTF happened?

Well it turns out, and I've verified this through experiment, that the dealer left the key on the roof of my car, but the car started anyhow despite the fact that the key wasn't inside the car. The noise I heard on the on-ramp was they key falling down on the back of roof/windshield/trunk.

Anyways, the dealer made everything right and ordered me a new key since they weren't supposed to leave it on the roof and nobody told me it was there. They also picked me up and gave me a ride to go get my spare key, so everything turned out OK.

I'm really only posting this to forewarn those with comfort access that the car will start without the key being inside it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

03-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Interesting. Did you have any keys or keychains on your fob? My car would have gotten scratched up so bad because I have my keys and a smal keychain on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Interesting. Did you have any keys or keychains on your fob? My car would have gotten scratched up so bad because I have my keys and a smal keychain on it.
It's just the fob only. My limited testing suggests that minimally, if you place the fob on the sunroof, the car will start. I've not tried other places yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
This would not have happened if you had to put your thingy in a hole to have her engine start up and running

But seriously ...Can someone explain the need or "convenience" factor of having comfort access?

I know if you are missing a limb or something, it could come quite handy but is pushing a button to lock/ unlock the doors and putting a key fob in a hole before you push the "Start" button is such a big hassle to some people? I know I am missing something here because I am an idiot ...so please feel free to enlighten me.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
This would not have happened if you had to put your thingy in a hole to have her engine start up and running

But seriously ...Can someone explain the need or "convenience" factor of having comfort access?

I know if you are missing a limb or something, it could come quite handy but is pushing a button to lock/ unlock the doors and putting a key fob in a hole before you push the "Start" button is such a big hassle to some people? I know I am missing something here because I am an idiot ...so please feel free to enlighten me.
You sound like such an old fart here. But I agree with you 100% so maybe I'm becoming a crusty curmudgeon as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

You simply walk up to the car, open the locked door, push start and drive off. There is no fumbling for keys to unlock or start the car. It is convenient. It also can make your day very unpleasant if the dealer leaves the key on the roof, and your not accustomed to checking that it's in the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You sound like such an old fart here. But I agree with you 100% so maybe I'm becoming a crusty curmudgeon as well.
Welcome to da club ...Take a seat in the back somewhere, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
You simply walk up to the car, open the locked door, push start and drive off. There is no fumbling for keys to unlock or start the car. It is convenient. It also can make your day very unpleasant if the dealer leaves the key on the roof, and your not accustomed to checking that it's in the ignition.
I get that but ..... why is it "necessary" to pay more to get that as an option? I can cite a dozen good reason for any other option or option package on my car. But when it comes to Comfort Access, I have to scratch my head and try to come up with a convincing answer and I can't. Besides, with all the paranoia about RFID's vulnerabilities and fraud potential who wants to risk walking around with a code transmitting device all the time that can result in having your car jacked ?

Last edited by Tondtar; 03-05-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:

I believe its more aimed at women who toss the fob in their gigantic handbags and then go shopping for 4 hours coming out with to the car with 10 bags of stuff then come out and have to locate that tiny fob in their handbag. With CA they do not have to dump the contents out to find it or rummage through it for 10 minuets in the parking lot.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

imagine that it is o degrees outside with 20 mph winds and your car is covered in snow...your hands are full with a briefcase and a coffee...

Do you really want to take your gloves off to find your keys, put your crap down...or just get in and go?

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
i miss CA. My e90 had it. The M5 has everything but this (i think)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
I believe its more aimed at women who toss the fob in their gigantic handbags and then go shopping for 4 hours coming out with to the car with 10 bags of stuff then come out and have to locate that tiny fob in their handbag. With CA they do not have to dump the contents out to find it or rummage through it for 10 minuets in the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
imagine that it is o degrees outside with 20 mph winds and your car is covered in snow...your hands are full with a briefcase and a coffee...

Do you really want to take your gloves off to find your keys, put your crap down...or just get in and go?

I see ...May be that's why I don't get it because if I wanted to or had no other choice than to live in such a god awful place, I would by now.

Give me my share of surf and sun or kill me with a dull razor blade ...Life is too short, people!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
m3pare
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: OBD1 M3.

that happened to me but with a lexus loaner. had to pay a little over $250 to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Sort of confused as to why the keys would get put on the roof in the first place...I've been in plenty of situations working in and around my car, and never ended up putting my keys on the roof. Glad it's been handled though.
Appreciate 0