BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
poo16
Private
Rep
Drives: m3 e90

Front Plates?

I don't know if u guys talked about this before but I am newbie so sorry in advance. I just ordered my M3 yesterday and the guy asked me if they can put on the front Plates when the car comes? I said yes, but I noticed that a lot of u guys don't have it on.I wouldn't want to have it on if u don't have to. Can u drive with the front plates off? Do u guys get pulled over by cops? .Or are the pictures just deceiving me?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
If you do I beileve they drill holes in the bumper if you're cool with that.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
poo16
Private
Rep

Yeah that is what the guy told me but I wouldn't want them to do it if u don't have to
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Laws vary from state to state. in CA front plate is required. If you get a ticket for no front plate it's a $10 fix it ticket. You'll need to put it on and get a cop to sign off on it and then pay. You can take the plate off again, fill the holes with bumper plugs and wait for the next fix-it ticket.
I wen 2 years 11 months on a 3 year lease with no front plate and got done on the last month. I didn't mind driving around with the plate for the last month.
Car def looks better without the front plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

I put my plate in the front window on the right side. I didn't bother drilling the front, not worth it.
      02-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I lived in California for 13 years and never had front plates on any of my cars. 10 more here in Oregon, same thing. I've been pulled over many times and received a few high speed driving awards over the years, but the lack of front plates never came up. Tell them not to put it on. No point in putting holes in your bumper if it's not necessary. What's the worst that could happen? You get a fix-it ticket and have to put it on yourself.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 02-10-2009 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
I put my plate in the front window on the right side. I didn't bother drilling the front, not worth it.
Still not legal in CA, has to be attached to front bumper.

Display of License Plates
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004

or from CA DMV website...
Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Still not legal in CA, has to be attached to front bumper.

Display of License Plates
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004

or from CA DMV website...
Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
As long as you don't drive it to LAX or get pulled over for something else, you are safe with no front plate in CA. Its illegal, but getting cited for it is extremely extremely rare outside of the two scenarios I just mentioned.
      02-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
Splinter4784
414 little horsies
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Front plates hinder and destroy the gorgeous look of the M3

Dont put them on, mine came drilled in and I took them off, thankfully there are only 2 tiny almost invisible holes in the front

even if you are pulled over and it comes up and you get a ticket

just put it on, go to court, show them, and take them off as soon as u leave the court
      02-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
As long as you don't drive it to LAX or get pulled over for something else, you are safe with no front plate in CA. Its illegal, but getting cited for it is extremely extremely rare outside of the two scenarios I just mentioned.
Right on, never had an issue until I drove to LAX.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Not true, I've been pulled over three times in LA, not breaking any laws, not speeding...and guess what for...no front plate. There was also a 4th time I was actually also in an accident, not my fault. I'm sitting on the side of the freeway, car's totalled, and the f'in a-hole of a CHP officer gives me a no front plate ticket...my car couldnt even drive... I hope that guy has a bird dump on his head one day...

That aside, I still wouldn't put one on!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
Not true, I've been pulled over three times in LA, not breaking any laws, not speeding...and guess what for...no front plate. There was also a 4th time I was actually also in an accident, not my fault. I'm sitting on the side of the freeway, car's totalled, and the f'in a-hole of a CHP officer gives me a no front plate ticket...my car couldnt even drive... I hope that guy has a bird dump on his head one day...

That aside, I still wouldn't put one on!
They just used it as an excuse to pull you over looking for something else.

Who makes these rules? Where the hell is the vote on what things they can or can't pull you over for? This freaking system makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I have not had front plates on my last 4 BMWs. I have only been pulled over once, but I did not get a citation.
      02-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
JoeNYC
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

I haven't had a front plate for about six months in New York / Westchester with no problems from police.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Cities need money, this is easy money. I got pulled on my home street in San Diego. Motorbike cop was parked and pulling in all cars without a front plate. I think they were fishing for other stuff too, this was an easy excuse for them to stop cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

I got the Skene front plate holder. you'll still have to drill but it's on the underside which you don't see. I also live in Westchester and got pulled over three times in the first month of owning my car but luckily got warnings all three times. Needless to say my luck is prolly running out so I ordered it the next day.

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
Don't put them on untill you have them. I for one am not putting them on ever. I haven't gotten pulled over yet. I have the "M3" logo as my back plate. If i get pulled over I tell the police I was doing a photoshoot with some friends and I'm putting them on when I get home
Attached Images

02-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I've seen front plate holder that screw in where the tow hook. I've been in the market for one of thee being that I drive on the highway a lot. Does anyone have any info about these???
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
I've seen front plate holder that screw in where the tow hook. I've been in the market for one of thee being that I drive on the highway a lot. Does anyone have any info about these???
Yup, GoMini: http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-BMW.html
      02-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Laws vary from state to state. in CA front plate is required. If you get a ticket for no front plate it's a $10 fix it ticket. You'll need to put it on and get a cop to sign off on it and then pay. You can take the plate off again, fill the holes with bumper plugs and wait for the next fix-it ticket.
I wen 2 years 11 months on a 3 year lease with no front plate and got done on the last month. I didn't mind driving around with the plate for the last month.
Car def looks better without the front plate.
I think they changed the correction fee to $25. I recently got a fix it tix and the letter came showing that I need to pay $25.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
poo16
Private
Rep

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #22
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
I think they changed the correction fee to $25. I recently got a fix it tix and the letter came showing that I need to pay $25.
I am willing to pay this a couple times a year not to drill my front bumper. Stupid law...