BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
rolexel
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Replacing the underhood shields

Hey guys,

I've got a 09 M3 and as most of you in our area have noticed, the roads in SF have gone to s**t lately with all this PG&E construction and digging. Anyhow, I noticed the under the engine splash shields / screenings broke and I need to replace all three of them. I went to the dealer and got an overpriced quote to replace the left, center and right shields w/ parts costing over $650, plus $250 in labor (1 hour) for a grand total of $900 + tax!

I can get all these parts online for less than $300 w/tax +S&H. My question is if anyone here knows a mechanic in SF or oakland who can take these parts and help fix them in. I don't have a ramp or space to do this myself in our condo's garage. The dealer mentioned it should be less than an hour to fit this in, so I'm wondering if any mechanic out there is willing to take it up, especially since I'm going to bring my own parts.

Another option is if one of the forum members is experienced in this and willing to help w/the work, I'm happy to comp for your time.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexel View Post
Hey guys,

I've got a 09 M3 and as most of you in our area have noticed, the roads in SF have gone to s**t lately with all this PG&E construction and digging. Anyhow, I noticed the under the engine splash shields / screenings broke and I need to replace all three of them. I went to the dealer and got an overpriced quote to replace the left, center and right shields w/ parts costing over $650, plus $250 in labor (1 hour) for a grand total of $900 + tax!

I can get all these parts online for less than $300 w/tax +S&H. My question is if anyone here knows a mechanic in SF or oakland who can take these parts and help fix them in. I don't have a ramp or space to do this myself in our condo's garage. The dealer mentioned it should be less than an hour to fit this in, so I'm wondering if any mechanic out there is willing to take it up, especially since I'm going to bring my own parts.

Another option is if one of the forum members is experienced in this and willing to help w/the work, I'm happy to comp for your time.

Cheers!
I replaced the splash shields myself in my SF condo garage. All you need is a floor jack and some jack stands. It is pretty easy to remove and install.

Otherwise, if you want to do it yourself, you can check out Pit Row in San Jose area. You can rent a lift for $30 an hour and do it yourself.
      03-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

^ is there anyway you can do a quick write in the DIY section and note the required tools?

My center black plastic piece took a lil chuck off 😡
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
^ is there anyway you can do a quick write in the DIY section and note the required tools?

My center black plastic piece took a lil chuck off ��
It's been over a year since I did that.

It is not really hard to figure out once you have the front in the air look underneath. There's a lot of small bolts/screws that hold the undertray on. All 3 pieces need to come off. Start with the corner pieces and then do the center one. Once you've removed all the bolts and nuts, the center piece has two metal wire hangers that you need to twist and pull off. Then the center piece will drop. Installation is the reverse, start with attaching the wire hangers, then the side pieces, then put back all the screws/bolts.

Center piece with side pieces attached. Note: it's easier to get the wire hanger on with the side pieces removed since you can reach the hanger from the side. (the undertray in the picture is damaged and has a hole in it - I just googled this pic)

Wire hanger:
      03-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I did it as one of the first projects. if its the center only you're looking at 150ish and 20min for removal and install.
      04-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #7
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Much appreciated! 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexel View Post
Hey guys,

Cheers!
Can you please share where you found these parts online - I'm needing them as well... thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Can you please share where you found these parts online - I'm needing them as well... thank you!
bmwpartspros.com and getbmwparts.com both have them for reasonable prices.

bmwpartspros is on the west coast in CA and getbmwparts is in Maryland... just an fyi on shipping times.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Contact GT Auto Concepts in Redwood city, they'll hook you up with good pricing and they can order the parts for you and have them delivered directly to their shop.
Appreciate 1