BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

04-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #199
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's both the M4 coupe and convertible (Some would call that two models, some might call it two body styles of one model. No interest in debating usage of the word, just offering some detail.). In prior generations, the coupe sold the most by far, while the convertible came in second place, and the sedan has been last when it has been offered (not surprising given its shorter run). Given the fact that we know M4 allocations greatly outnumber M3 allocations, it is all but a foregone conclusion that the trend will continue. I personally suspect F8x M3/M4 sales will eventually top 100k units.

Despite remaining ardently indifferent to the discussion, one could cite the very existence of all the models that you left out of your data provides a compelling counterpoint. When you add in the M6, X5M, X6M, 1M/M2, soon X3/X4 M, its hard to deny that the sales have increased and that the brand is more mainstream and accessible to more customers.
BMW the brand survives based off leasing models. Whether it's corporate or personal purchase.....

To reduce said allotments BMW would itself have to be willing to reign in their supply, or reduce the finance options.

More people would be discouraged to buy an M model if they were married to a payment for the long run.

Last edited by Performancedieselpros; 04-11-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #200
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

I know 3 people who own m2s and 2 that own m4s and 1 that owns an m5. I asked them all why they bought the car they have. The three people that own the m2 are all female and they bought it because they wanted a higher end car like a bwm or Mercedes. The females wanted a smaller car because they perceive it to be easier to drive and park. The m4 and m3 owners are male and they feel the same about brand status as the females but they think that bigger is better thus they would never go for an m2. And i asked them why they chose m cars and it's because they thought it was the fully loaded highest trim model available. They thought it was just on the other side of the spectrum of getting a base model. They have no idea what the m stands for and they certainly don't have a clue what engine is in their car. I wonder if this says something about how the general public feels about the m designation. We on this forum walk into a dealership and ask if they have an allocation. I think the general public (the kind that can afford m models) walk into a dealership and buy what is on the showroom floor.
Appreciate 4
      04-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #201
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I see the point. But does the introduction of additional models detract from what existing models are?
I don't know. Having taken a few minutes to share my thoughts on the data you presented, I am going to go back to enjoying my M3 irrespective of how many other people may also own and enjoy one.
Appreciate 2
Spa2k1193.00
      04-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #202
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
I know 3 people who own m2s and 2 that own m4s and 1 that owns an m5. I asked them all why they bought the car they have. The three people that own the m2 are all female and they bought it because they wanted a higher end car like a bwm or Mercedes. The females wanted a smaller car because they perceive it to be easier to drive and park. The m4 and m3 owners are male and they feel the same about brand status as the females but they think that bigger is better thus they would never go for an m2. And i asked them why they chose m cars and it's because they thought it was the fully loaded highest trim model available. They thought it was just on the other side of the spectrum of getting a base model. They have no idea what the m stands for and they certainly don't have a clue what engine is in their car. I wonder if this says something about how the general public feels about the m designation. We on this forum walk into a dealership and ask if they have an allocation. I think the general public (the kind that can afford m models) walk into a dealership and buy what is on the showroom floor.

it sure does for some people. people want the top of the line and that's it.

i think this is the same reason why all the Aventadors are doomed to a life of cruising slowly down busy streets or revved at cars & coffee
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #203
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
Funny thing is, I've only seen a handful in my life in person, that I can remember... the last one I saw was at the BMW dealership when I test drove back in December. I'm in the Capital of NY, and I can say the area is NOT flooded with M's by any sense of the word
Come to Niskayuna and Clifton Park. I see lots of them, all years and models a few X5M and X6M, even a few Alpinas. I also drive by Keeler everyday so a lot of the ones I don't see at least once a week on my drive are on route 7.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #204
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

You don’t have to buy expensive car to have exclusivity. Camaro z/28 is a very good car and produced in low numbers. Under 2k, or so
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #205
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

I’m content whipping my 328xi E90 around. The fact that two previous owners didn’t want it and I got it makes me like it more. One mans trash is another mans treasure. I’m the one who fills it with Shell 93. I’m the one who takes care of it while it takes care of me. It’s the car providing me with memories. The car that so called exclusive cars feel the need to test on the highway. I always wanted a BMW since I saw an E36 Black M3 roll up next to me when I was young. I bought my car for me and my loved ones and nobody else. Nobody will ever understand the relationship you have with your own car. Isn’t that exclusive enough?
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      05-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #206
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
I’m in one of the richest county in America and see tons of BMWs and really nice cars but M cars (M3, M4, M5, M6, X5M) are still rare here. The ratio of Tesla Model S to M cars is like 20 to 1. A base Model S is the same price as most moderately equipped F8x on the road in this region. If you’re looking for exclusivity you’ll need to spend north of $150K.
This is because rich people buy either ultra luxury cars or exotic performance cars. Also, model s and m cars are not even remotely similar. The price may be the same, but buyers would not cross shop between a model S and any m car.

Where i live, i have seen so many M3/M4's but only one C63 and no RS4/5.

Last edited by shiv.nandak; 05-03-2018 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #207
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bryan View Post
True some cars might perform just as good if not better than some bmw cars
Thats if you only care about performance though
Could 5.0 mustang, kia stinger, v8 camaro, or v6 accord beat a 335 or equivalent in a straight line or around some corners? Probably but I also don’t want shiity plastics, more road noise, etc...
Bmw still has a premium over other cars because it had wuality interiors and other features
Is it the best car ever? No
But I rather pay a premium for 335 than for a kia stinger which at the end of the day is still a kia
As for badging cars, I don’t believe the premium is much of a difference in bmw when comparing it to mercedes
You would be surprised, a lot of other cars are much closer in interior quality compared to the M cars than you think. And those are cars that are not even in the same price brackets.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #208
Negtvions
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

I don't notice more full ///M cars. But definitely more "m-sport" packages.

So maybe a positive reframe would be to think there are more fellow enthusiasts on the road!
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread