BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Do you think the 3-way will be any less durable than KW's other offerings? I'm thinking about getting a set of coilovers for a daily driver. Would you recommend V3's or CS 2-ways over these?
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Do you think the 3-way will be any less durable than KW's other offerings? I'm thinking about getting a set of coilovers for a daily driver. Would you recommend V3's or CS 2-ways over these?
Bump - thoughts on this set-up for daily driver duty?
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

The Clubsport 3-ways are designed with the same philosophies of the Clubsport 2-ways as a dual purpose suspension for the street and track. The 3-ways offer a wider range of damping adjustment, and therefore will offer a more compliant ride compared to the 2-ways.

I will request for some more technical info on the 3-ways.
      05-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
slicer
Major General
Rep

Any more info on these? Working well on your customer's car?
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
techartlove
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 S50B32, E92 M3 M-DCT

Love KW!!
may getting this for my M3 and V3 for X6M
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
United_States
Rep
Drives: ^^^^^

Do you have any pictures of this on an E92 set to max low?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
slicer
Major General
Rep

Do you recommend getting adjustable toe-arms to accompany this kit?
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #30
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
The Clubsport 3-ways are designed with the same philosophies of the Clubsport 2-ways as a dual purpose suspension for the street and track. The 3-ways offer a wider range of damping adjustment, and therefore will offer a more compliant ride compared to the 2-ways.

I will request for some more technical info on the 3-ways.
Any more info? I may be interested in getting these in the near future, but I have a few queries:

1. Given that the E9x M3 have different weights (based on equipment), thus different oem springs, what has KW done to address this with their 3-way springs.

2. Are there dust boots available? The ones on the 3-way don't appear to provide sufficient protection against mud and general road grime.

3. Does KW provide baseline settings for comfort, fast road and track? This would be good as one can fall back on these settings whilst learning how to set them up.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct

That's a great price range for a good 3-way damper guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #32
slicer
Major General
Rep

I have been running these on my car for nearly a year. I have been very pleased with the performance and ride quality. The car spends most of its time on the street and these have exceeded my expectations in the comfort dept.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #33
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer
I have been running these on my car for nearly a year. I have been very pleased with the performance and ride quality. The car spends most of its time on the street and these have exceeded my expectations in the comfort dept.
While I'm sure they are better on track, how do they cope with fast driving over roads that are very uneven - no potholes but all 4 tyres are constantly at different heights. Are you able to accelerate hard without the rear tyres skipping too much (on uneven roads)? How are they compared to the OEM suspension in this respect, and which OEM suspension are you comparing to - EDC, non-EDC, ZCP? Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Can someone comment on slicers initial question before he got the 3 ways on?

how are these compared to the lowest tier offering, the KW V3's? Cause personally, my v3's are set to super soft and they ride a pinch firmer than stock but rebound much better on normal roads. Its two notches bumpier compared to stock on choppy roads and big bumps. overall it is still perfect for a daily..
      04-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #35
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Any more info? I may be interested in getting these in the near future, but I have a few queries:

1. Given that the E9x M3 have different weights (based on equipment), thus different oem springs, what has KW done to address this with their 3-way springs.

2. Are there dust boots available? The ones on the 3-way don't appear to provide sufficient protection against mud and general road grime.

3. Does KW provide baseline settings for comfort, fast road and track? This would be good as one can fall back on these settings whilst learning how to set them up.

Thanks.
1. The same springs are used regardless of vehicle options. Since the heights are adjustable, one can easily perform a corner balance.

2. They come with the same dust boots as Clubsport 2 way.

3. KW provides a recommended setting to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Can someone comment on slicers initial question before he got the 3 ways on?

how are these compared to the lowest tier offering, the KW V3's? Cause personally, my v3's are set to super soft and they ride a pinch firmer than stock but rebound much better on normal roads. Its two notches bumpier compared to stock on choppy roads and big bumps. overall it is still perfect for a daily..
V3's do not adjust for high speed compression. You live with KW's factory valve setting. Clubsport 3 way allows you to adjust high speed compression. You will feel the difference going over larger bumps, e.g. pot holes and curb stones.
      04-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #36
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
While I'm sure they are better on track, how do they cope with fast driving over roads that are very uneven - no potholes but all 4 tyres are constantly at different heights. Are you able to accelerate hard without the rear tyres skipping too much (on uneven roads)? How are they compared to the OEM suspension in this respect, and which OEM suspension are you comparing to - EDC, non-EDC, ZCP? Many thanks.
This is difficult to answer. I have had the system installed on two cars. The first install was on my sedan that had Eibach springs and EDC shocks (Non-ZCP) with 19" wheels and Yokohama AD08's. I switched to 18" wheels, PSS tires, and the KW suspension all at the same time. The AD08 tires and the 19" wheels resulted in a relatively stiff ride (AD08 sidewalls are very stiff). In this initial install I had the KW's too low and the ride quality was a little too rough and the suspension travel too limited. It was still an improvement over the EDC / Eibach combo. I ordered my latest M3 without EDC. I was surprised how stiff the OEM suspension was on the non-edc car. I put the KW's on the car prior to completing the break-in service so I didn't put the OEM suspension to the full test. My assessment is that the ride quality is not much (if any) stiffer than my OEM non-edc suspension. I have had the KW's adjusted and raised on the latest install. That made the ride quality very comparable to stock. I'm not noticing any issues with acceleration on uneven roads but I do live in California (despite what some California natives say, the roads are great here) and I don't generally hammer on the car when I'm on a rough road. As far as simply driving down a road with a few bumps, the KW's feel great and not much different from stock. The low height requires more caution on steep driveways but that is to be expected. I really don't have anything negative to say about the KW's, I would definitely do it again if given the chance. Are they worth the premium over the regular clubsports? Hard to say...
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #37
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is difficult to answer. I have had the system installed on two cars. The first install was on my sedan that had Eibach springs and EDC shocks (Non-ZCP) with 19" wheels and Yokohama AD08's. I switched to 18" wheels, PSS tires, and the KW suspension all at the same time. The AD08 tires and the 19" wheels resulted in a relatively stiff ride (AD08 sidewalls are very stiff). In this initial install I had the KW's too low and the ride quality was a little too rough and the suspension travel too limited. It was still an improvement over the EDC / Eibach combo. I ordered my latest M3 without EDC. I was surprised how stiff the OEM suspension was on the non-edc car. I put the KW's on the car prior to completing the break-in service so I didn't put the OEM suspension to the full test. My assessment is that the ride quality is not much (if any) stiffer than my OEM non-edc suspension. I have had the KW's adjusted and raised on the latest install. That made the ride quality very comparable to stock. I'm not noticing any issues with acceleration on uneven roads but I do live in California (despite what some California natives say, the roads are great here) and I don't generally hammer on the car when I'm on a rough road. As far as simply driving down a road with a few bumps, the KW's feel great and not much different from stock. The low height requires more caution on steep driveways but that is to be expected. I really don't have anything negative to say about the KW's, I would definitely do it again if given the chance. Are they worth the premium over the regular clubsports? Hard to say...
Cheers for your insight. Our roads here in the UK are quite unique as you may have read from some of the well-known UK publications like EVO, Chris Harris etc. All the best country/mountain roads, while nice and twisty, can be very narrow and uneven with cambers all over the place, and we are allowed to go at 60mph, so have to be careful with suspension choice. Roads like in this video, which some may have already seen:

Or this:

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #38
C2VNY
Monster unit
Rep
Drives: Monster spec tme sold

Sorry to bring back a old thread.

Thinking about buying these possibly and have been told by my uk supplier that you will need 5-10mm wheel spacers to fit these with stock 19inch's wheels, is this true??

I can't understand why but didn't want to question them as there the experts.

Thanks

GT4 - AKRA EVO - RECARO - AP RACING -

KW CLUB-SPORTS - VOLKS
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #39
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2VNY View Post
Sorry to bring back a old thread.

Thinking about buying these possibly and have been told by my uk supplier that you will need 5-10mm wheel spacers to fit these with stock 19inch's wheels, is this true??

I can't understand why but didn't want to question them as there the experts.

Thanks
It is true that you lose inner clearance with these coilovers. You will however not need spacers with OEM wheels unless you are running the rear wheels in the front or have extra wide tires installed.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #40
C2VNY
Monster unit
Rep

Quote:
It is true that you lose inner clearance with these coilovers. You will however not need spacers with OEM wheels unless you are running the rear wheels in the front or have extra wide tires installed.
Cool, so the 220m on Stock size is definetly no problem, are they really really close??
Actually I have some 18*10 +25 arc-8s But then am losing 15mm inner clearance if my calculations are right, so they won't fit then?

Do the 2-ways have this problem too?

KW CLUB-SPORTS - VOLKS
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #41
C2VNY
Monster unit
Rep

Quote:

Oh, thanks very much for getting back man

KW CLUB-SPORTS - VOLKS
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #42
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2VNY View Post
Cool, so the 220m on Stock size is definetly no problem, are they really really close??
Actually I have some 18*10 +25 arc-8s But then am losing 15mm inner clearance if my calculations are right, so they won't fit then?

Do the 2-ways have this problem too?
The 2-ways and the 3-ways have the same clearance issues. See this thread that I created. I went with a shorter spring to get more inner clearance.

You might be able to fit your 10" et25 wheels with a 5mm spacer but that depends on which tires you run. I couldn't make my 275mm BFG G-force rivals fit with 5mm spacers and 10" et25 wheels, but I did fit my Michelin PSS 275mm tires on a 10" et18 wheel. Even at et18 there was maybe 2mm of clearance. I don't know how anyone fits 10" et25 wheels and 275mm tires with 5mm spacers and KW clubsports...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973188
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #43
C2VNY
Monster unit
Rep

Nice one, well not so much as Unsure what to do now..
Seems like they made these to fit with the competition wheels

But thanks for that and great write up

Quote:
The 2-ways and the 3-ways have the same clearance issues. See this thread that I created. I went with a shorter spring to get more inner clearance.

You might be able to fit your 10" et25 wheels with a 5mm spacer but that depends on which tires you run. I couldn't make my 275mm BFG G-force rivals fit with 5mm spacers and 10" et25 wheels, but I did fit my Michelin PSS 275mm tires on a 10" et18 wheel. Even at et18 there was maybe 2mm of clearance. I don't know how anyone fits 10" et25 wheels and 275mm tires with 5mm spacers and KW clubsports...

KW CLUB-SPORTS - VOLKS
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #44
C2VNY
Monster unit
Rep

Nice one, well not so much as Unsure what to do now..

But thanks for that and great write up

Quote:

KW CLUB-SPORTS - VOLKS

Last edited by C2VNY; 06-11-2014 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0