BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #89
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

As Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear stated....."The GTR is an instrument for speed". As capable as it is as a speed instrument, not only do I dislike it's completely discombobulated exterior and interior design, I also don't like, philosophically, what the car represents.

It is all clinical, with no soul or passion. It is all function with NO form. There is nothing even remotely elegant or classy about it.

The driving experience is about more than just pure speed. That is only one component. The sights, sounds, feel, CAR-DRIVER INTERFACE, are all just as vital if not more.

I chose my M3 over a GTR. I would take a Porsche Cayman S over a GTR in a heartbeat, let alone the 911TT.

Porsche pricing reflects what it being offered. When you combine small production numbers with premium quality and a very high degree of customizability, you are going to pay a premium over just the material value of the product.

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-12-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #90
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
GTR MSRP is 106k. 991 Turbo is 169k, and the 991 Turbo S is a whopping 206k! Ugly and overpriced? Hell yes!
You live in Canada...here in the US the 991T S is only 181k. And the GTR track edition is 115k.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #91
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
As Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear stated....."The GTR is an instrument for speed". As capable as it is as a speed instrument, not only do I dislike it's completely discombobulated exterior and interior design, I also don't like, philosophically, what the car represents.

It is all clinical, with no soul or passion. It is all function with NO form. There is nothing even remotely elegant or classy about it.

The driving experience is about more than just pure speed. That is only one component. The sights, sounds, feel, CAR-DRIVER INTERFACE, are all just as vital if not more.

I chose my M3 over a GTR. I would take a Porsche Cayman S over a GTR in a heartbeat, let alone the 911TT.

Porsche pricing reflects what it being offered. When you combine small production numbers with premium quality and a very high degree of customizability, you are going to pay a premium over just the material value of the product.

The GT-R seems to be the good car if what you want is to be the fastest, if you want the most enjoyment there is some better options!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #92
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post

I test drove a Porsche Cayman, and it never made me smile or feel the excitement like my GTR does.

For the Porsche pricing, you forgot to add highest profitability to your statement.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #93
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
if i was a baby i would be doing what you're doing and trying to instigate an internet fight. I did the mature thing and let the mods deal with ur insults. Internet fighting is for pussies. I'm sorry you dont feel the same way.

And yes i dont like porsche that much. Or lada. Or kia. Or mercedes. Or toyota. So what?
Sometimes I get amazed at how much time people have to do things over the internet...

And just remember, Porsche is benchmark. All auto manufactures attempt to beat porsche's cars. As you have your opinion, so does everyone else, I don't understand why you are taking such a strong standing for Nissan. I mean at the end of the day it is just a Nissan.

For example, I have a 04 Cayenne v6. It is the slowest thing I have ever driven. But it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, it sounds great, it handles amazing for a SUV, and it revs beautifully. My point is, when you buy a car you are not or should not just be buying it for performance, that is ludicrous.

I'v driven a GTR, and to me it wasn't very impressive. I didn't like the noise it made, and I didn't like the ride quality. To me, it felt very cheap and not refined enough. Sure it was blistering quick, but I would rather take a car that has heritage, smile-factor, and most importantly character.

A lot of the new cars that are coming out have started loosing character. For example, M cars are now turboed, and some of them have noise enhancing capabilities. AMG, has reverted to all wheel drive. IMO Porsche is one of the only companies that have still kept that heritage and character with their cars.

Lastly, please grow some balls and debate maturely you sound like a baby. You are making Canadian like me look bad...
      05-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #94
e92m3_f15x5
mmmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot_ducati View Post
Haha yea. I love both the 911TT and the GTR, but ill probably go look for a 997TT with 6MT
How about a 997.2 GT3RS? Lighter and better on the track. I love that car. Then again, not as comfy as the 997TT though.
turbo is probably a better all-around car. Then again I never use the backseats. GT3s are more exclusive probably hold their value better. Both would be a dream to drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #95
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Sometimes I get amazed at how much time people have to do things over the internet...

And just remember, Porsche is benchmark. All auto manufactures attempt to beat porsche's cars. As you have your opinion, so does everyone else, I don't understand why you are taking such a strong standing for Nissan. I mean at the end of the day it is just a Nissan.

For example, I have a 04 Cayenne v6. It is the slowest thing I have ever driven. But it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, it sounds great, it handles amazing for a SUV, and it revs beautifully. My point is, when you buy a car you are not or should not just be buying it for performance, that is ludicrous.

I'v driven a GTR, and to me it wasn't very impressive. I didn't like the noise it made, and I didn't like the ride quality. To me, it felt very cheap and not refined enough. Sure it was blistering quick, but I would rather take a car that has heritage, smile-factor, and most importantly character.

A lot of the new cars that are coming out have started loosing character. For example, M cars are now turboed, and some of them have noise enhancing capabilities. AMG, has reverted to all wheel drive. IMO Porsche is one of the only companies that have still kept that heritage and character with their cars.

Lastly, please grow some balls and debate maturely you sound like a baby. You are making Canadian like me look bad...
you say i'm a baby but you cant resist the "its just a nissan" comment. Looks like you are the one that needs to grow up. And yeah porsche is so damn committed to its legacy and heritage that their supposed purist driver's car is now only available with an automatic gearbox and electric powersteering.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #96
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Amazing how many people dislike the GT-R mainly based upon preconceptions! The GT-R is an amazing and exciting car, not a robot by any means. It feels very raw, rides rough and makes race car noises. It is not a refined car but my RS is not either. With the driver aids you can exploit 95-98% of the car limits with some learning. On the GT3RS I would say 85-90% max for an average driver. The old Turbo S (obviously I do not have any experience with the new ones) is a different, more refined car. I had the luck to drive them back to back, admittedly just a test drive on the GT-R and similar drive on my friend Turbo S. The turbo is way more refined and civilized. Both stupidly fast on public road, on the track, depends on the driver. (and the track layout somewhat)

And yes Porsches are way overpriced, and getting even more so with the new 991 versions. All high end sport cars are overpriced to some extent anyway. The question is do you want the car at that price point or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #97
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Amazing how many people dislike the GT-R mainly based upon preconceptions! The GT-R is an amazing and exciting car, not a robot by any means. It feels very raw, rides rough and makes race car noises. It is not a refined car but my RS is not either. With the driver aids you can exploit 95-98% of the car limits with some learning. On the GT3RS I would say 85-90% max for an average driver. The old Turbo S (obviously I do not have any experience with the new ones) is a different, more refined car. I had the luck to drive them back to back, admittedly just a test drive on the GT-R and similar drive on my friend Turbo S. The turbo is way more refined and civilized. Both stupidly fast on public road, on the track, depends on the driver. (and the track layout somewhat)

And yes Porsches are way overpriced, and getting even more so with the new 991 versions. All high end sport cars are overpriced to some extent anyway. The question is do you want the car at that price point or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #98
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Yeah, at $180k that's Ferrari 430 Scuderia territory. Heck, even 2010 Gallardos are that price right now. But then again you would be getting the best all-around car (991 TT) which you really can DD, unlike the Scuderia, and utilize. That is the niche market Porsche has found with their $180k Porsche Turbo. It's the second fastest production car on the street and is usable on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #99
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

For 180k, I would put 20k more and get a used mint condition Ferrari 458 Italia, my dream car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #100
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Yeah, at $180k that's Ferrari 430 Scuderia territory. Heck, even 2010 Gallardos are that price right now. But then again you would be getting the best all-around car (991 TT) which you really can DD, unlike the Scuderia, and utilize. That is the niche market Porsche has found with their $180k Porsche Turbo. It's the second fastest production car on the street and is usable on a daily basis.
This is the best all around daily driver money can buy. Plus you get the refinement and quality few can match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
For 180k, I would put 20k more and get a used mint condition Ferrari 458 Italia, my dream car.
Please show me where you can get a mint used 458 for 200K? Most are 250-270. Plus a 458 isnt as fast as the 991 turbo considering a 997.2 turbo S is faster to 150 mph, and it doesnt have the usability of the turbo. And furthermore, drive a 458 more than a few thousand miles a year and see how quickly the value drops and see how quickly the maint. adds up.
Me, im not a huge fan of the italia...it looks like a gecko. Its certainly an impressive car during the times ive been in one, but im not the biggest fan of the looks...the sound on the other hand...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #101
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:

Finally, someone with some sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #102
choiceE93
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:

If I had all the money in the World all cars mentioned including my M3 will be in my garage.
Appreciate all performance cars for what they offer.
Each car provides some form of joy.
Speaking for myself, I'm in no position to buy all the cars on my wish list; it's one performance car at a time.
Most car enthusiasts appreciate all cars and make sound judgements on what to criticize.
But again, everything is just IMO, that's just my IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #103
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GTR Gun Metal Gray Pr Edi

Majin Buu, what kind of car do you have?

M3, GT-R and a 911 Turbo S... I'll take one of each. All beautiful cars!
      05-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #104
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
You have a beef with Porsche for some reason. Not sure why that is and, frankly I don't care but your posts are annoying.

And you are also a baby. You ran and reported me to the mods like a little girl because you didn't like on of the posts I directed to you?! Grow up newbie.
if i was a baby i would be doing what you're doing and trying to instigate an internet fight. I did the mature thing and let the mods deal with ur insults. Internet fighting is for pussies. I'm sorry you dont feel the same way.

And yes i dont like porsche that much. Or lada. Or kia. Or mercedes. Or toyota. So what?
Way to go to mom & dad. Passive aggressiveness at its finest. This is our future ladies and gentlemen. Let the authorities handle it...sheep :
      05-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #105
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

We can debate this topic to death and never all agree. What is "best" depends on one's priorities. Not surprisingly, all our priorities are slightly different.

On a certain level it is no different from asking "which exhaust is best?"

Is it the one that produces the most power, even though it may drone like crazy? Is it the one that is the lightest? Is it the one that cost $7k but produces the sweetest sound? Is it the one that is "just as good" for $1500?

Different things matter to different people. I am happy to say that at this point in my life, everything realistically considered, there are no other cars that I would rather own than what I have.
      05-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #106
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
Wow. I've never cared for the GT-R so I have never took notice of the interior. But that interior is downright hideous, it should be a sin to have that kind of interior in a 100k car.

The plastic looks cheap in quality and the steering wheel leather doesn't look any nicer then my girlfriends 2012 civic.
+ 1 - I broke out laughing when I saw how teenage Ricky Racer that interior is.
Appreciate 0