BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Making a Drive from York Pa to Key West

Not taking the M but rather transporting a Van down there for a friend. He doesn't like to drive and I do. Just wondering if anyone can point out some cool places to stop and eat or check out. Figured I would make a sleep stop somewhere in Georgia possibly?

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Not taking the M but rather transporting a Van down there for a friend. He doesn't like to drive and I do. Just wondering if anyone can point out some cool places to stop and eat or check out. Figured I would make a sleep stop somewhere in Georgia possibly?
Savannah and Charleston

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

South of the Border!!

+1 on Charleston
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
blittle887
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Damn I grew up in Spring Grove, PA, just outside of York.
      11-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Crotchety Old Man
In a home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 DCT M3

81 to 40 to 75

Just stay off of 95 as much as possible.

My better half wants to vacation in the keys next year some time. You've given me something to think about. I might pick up a Powerstroke Excursion and an Airstream for that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
mcp202
Private
Rep
Drives: V3 CTS V

+1 on Savannah and Charleston. Cool cities with good food and entertainment.

Check out Tark's in Dania Beach:

http://tarks.com/

Does not look like much from the outside, however, the food is very good.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

that distance is what, 1300-1400 miles? that's a rough couple of days of driving especially if you hit traffic in metro DC and/or Miami. the road to the Keys can be frustrating too because it's a single lane for long stretches. hopefully you have a co-driver.

Savannah is beautiful and right in the middle, so that would be my choice. but have a backup plan if you get tired or stuck in traffic before you get there. maybe Florence, SC - there is not much there but there are a couple of hotels that are brand new, very comfortable and great security. last time i drove from DC to Miami i stayed at the Hampton Suites which was great.

i really would avoid South of the Border...it's pretty....icky
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blittle887 View Post
Damn I grew up in Spring Grove, PA, just outside of York.
Small World. Your not missing the smell of the paper mill out in California are you lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp202 View Post
+1 on Savannah and Charleston. Cool cities with good food and entertainment.

Check out Tark's in Dania Beach:

http://tarks.com/

Does not look like much from the outside, however, the food is very good.
I'll have to check that out, was hoping to find a couple of dives to stop @ and eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
that distance is what, 1300-1400 miles? that's a rough couple of days of driving especially if you hit traffic in metro DC and/or Miami. the road to the Keys can be frustrating too because it's a single lane for long stretches. hopefully you have a co-driver.

Savannah is beautiful and right in the middle, so that would be my choice. but have a backup plan if you get tired or stuck in traffic before you get there. maybe Florence, SC - there is not much there but there are a couple of hotels that are brand new, very comfortable and great security. last time i drove from DC to Miami i stayed at the Hampton Suites which was great.

i really would avoid South of the Border...it's pretty....icky
I was figuring I'd do it in around 2 days or so, total of about 21-22 hours. Just going to be me the radio and some Monster. I've done the south of the border thing before. I was pretty disappointed Got some pretty cool fireworks tho

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
If I would move a Van down there I would get myself a lil trailer and take my M with me ... just think of all the fun places you can stop when you drive back home again

Just thinking out loud unless that Van has no hitch then all this thinking goes to the sh ... s

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
If I would move a Van down there I would get myself a lil trailer and take my M with me ... just think of all the fun places you can stop when you drive back home again

Just thinking out loud unless that Van has no hitch then all this thinking goes to the sh ... s
The car Im taking down is a buddy of mine from the Airport. So I get to drive his car down sleep overnight at his one place and then get to fly his Meridian thats down there back 22 hours of driving and just about 4 hours flying back...

Appreciate 0